Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Need a combination square

On Mon, 02 Apr 2012 15:26:59 -0500, Swingman wrote:

On 4/2/2012 2:14 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

I like Win7, but DAMN, it's frustrating coming up to speed on it.

From what I hear, you are going to love to hate Win8.

I better copyright that quickly

snort But have they fixed Win7 yet?

--
Life is an escalator:
You can move forward or backward;
Posted to rec.woodworking

"tiredofspam" wrote in message

Not creative. It's a tool,!
OK, I'll agree with you. Youre an uncreative tool.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 31, 8:41*pm, Steve Barker wrote:
Just found out today, whilst checking my new in box, auction bought
jointer, that my combination square (gawd knows where i got it) had a
nice crook in the blade. *I'm looking to buy a new one and was wondering
just what in the world is the difference between a $6 one and a $105
starrett? * I won't be buying a starrett, so please make suggestions
below that brand. G

Old Unions are nice, cheap squares. These get used for most
general shop or household repair jobs.

Paid $25 for my used Starrett combo square and 18" rule
(flea market); would probably never have bought one new,
for list price. Very, very nice to have parts laid out and
machines set up well enough that projects go together
square and true the first time, no trimming or paring needed.
Even an expensive new Starrett would pay for itself very quickly.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 31, 10:53*pm, "Max" wrote:
"Doug Miller" *wrote in message

. ..

Of course, if you don't care whether your jointed edges are square to the
faces, the six-dollar cheapie
will work for you on the jointer too.

LOL. *I have found that an architects triangle works just fine for squaring
my jointer fence and my table saw blade.
On the other hand, a decent combination square might be desirable for
marking. *My eyesight isn't quite good enough to detect an error of .006.
And my pencils aren't that sharp either. * ;-)

Max

4x reading glasses from the dollar store. Frequently resharpen
your pencils on a piece of 400 grit paper. An 0.006" line
will seem like it's 10 feet wide.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/2/2012 10:13 AM, Swingman wrote:
On 4/2/2012 9:14 AM, tiredofspam wrote:
Swingy, are you experiencing major slowdowns, and script crashes with
your update?

No script crashes. I'm getting "TB is not responding" messages for at
least 15 to 30 seconds each time the program is opened and _after_ it
checks mail. I've done all the usual deleting .msf files etc., to no avail.

It has never exhibited this behavior, in five years of use, until this
last update.

I may have at least stumbled upon the problem, and the solution.

At some point today there was a strange, graphic remnant of a screen
that apparently belongs to a new TB feature called "Test Pilot" that
kept showing up, in fragments, a few minutes after the program was
opened; the ghostlike fragments of this screen moved with the TB window,
but was obviously causing a graphic glitch within the program itself;
and although it looked ghostlike, it was active, and the few portions of
it that could be seen could be clicked on.

This screen was apparently a notification that a report was ready to
send to "Test Pilot", and was asking for permission to submit the report.

Looking under Tools, I found the Test Pilot "Settings" screen and
selected "Always submit my data" (don't ask me).

Since doing that one thing, TB has not once hung up again, and runs just
as it did in days of yore.

Anyone else with this issue may want to check this "Test Pilot" schtick
out, or preempt it altogether.

YMMV ...

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010

Posted to rec.woodworking

I don't see a test pilot screen under settings.
Nor do I find it when I search Mozilla (Thunderbird site).

How do I get to the configuration?

I have looked at both Tools options and tools account settings, gone
through all the menus and still can't find it.

On 4/3/2012 5:30 PM, Swingman wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/03/12 7:11 PM, tiredofspam wrote:
[...]

Looks like an addon, though they may be building it into the program.

--
Froz...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/3/2012 6:11 PM, tiredofspam wrote:
I don't see a test pilot screen under settings.
Nor do I find it when I search Mozilla (Thunderbird site).

How do I get to the configuration?

Go to Tools|Addons|Extensions and see if "Test Pilot" is there.

I do recall seeing "Test Pilot" as included part of FireFox at some
point, but I did NOT download the extension for TB, not did I enable it,
not did I agree to do so prior to the last update, so it had to have
been part of the update and "enabled" by default.

Here it is:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/thu...r-thunderbird/

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

No, I did not install it.

It must install when you answer you'd like to help Mozilla.

I don't respond since those usually include some invasive stuff, like
how you are using it, how often, how often it crashes.

I just log bugs.. I don't like the invasive stuff.

On 4/3/2012 7:35 PM, Swingman wrote:
On 4/3/2012 6:11 PM, tiredofspam wrote:
I don't see a test pilot screen under settings.
Nor do I find it when I search Mozilla (Thunderbird site).

How do I get to the configuration?

Go to Tools|Addons|Extensions and see if "Test Pilot" is there.

I do recall seeing "Test Pilot" as included part of FireFox at some
point, but I did NOT download the extension for TB, not did I enable it,
not did I agree to do so prior to the last update, so it had to have
been part of the update and "enabled" by default.

Here it is:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/thu...r-thunderbird/

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/3/2012 9:03 PM, tiredofspam wrote:
[...]

In one of the recent version, 10?? it was loaded as part of the TB
installation. If disappeared in one of the .0.01 revisions to that
version.

I remember clicking that I did not want it to activate it in the
Options, but when I checked when I saw your post I could not find it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/4/2012 8:13 AM, Keith Nuttle wrote:
[...]

I removed it after finding out it was indeed the culprit. Glad to have
stumbled upon it. Went online to report it at getsatisfaction.com and
someone had beat me to it by an hour.

All's well that ends well ... nice having TB playing nice again.

Thanks ...

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/3/2012 4:30 PM, Swingman wrote:
[...]

I don't remember what release it was (I'm on 11.01 now), but at some point they
certainly slowed the damn thing down considerably during startup. I just
upgraded to a new system running Windows 7 Pro 64-bit, and it's somewhat better
but still not near what it was or should be or used to be. Other than being
annoyingly slow during startup I don't think I'm getting the *exact* behavior
that you are, and I do have the Test Pilot thing enabled, but the problem I
have is that TB simply *crashes* all the time with that annoying "We're sorry"
message. This started happening several releases ago (about the same time the
slow-downs started? Not sure.) I don't know why the thing could be so stable
for so many years then suddenly THIS. Well, maybe I do. As you said, those
dang programmers always have to go dicking with something that isn't broken...
Guilty. :-)

--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/31/2012 10:04 PM, Steve Turner wrote:
On 3/31/2012 7:41 PM, Steve Barker wrote:
Just found out today, whilst checking my new in box, auction bought
jointer,
that my combination square (gawd knows where i got it) had a nice
crook in the
blade. I'm looking to buy a new one and was wondering just what in the
world is
the difference between a $6 one and a $105 starrett? I won't be buying a
starrett, so please make suggestions below that brand. G

thanks!

I have this one:

http://www.grizzly.com/products/4-pc...uare-12-/G5726

I've had it for probably ten years, and it's worked great for me. Never
found myself wanting for a Starrett or similar brands that cost $100 more.

1/64th graduations? You must have the eyes of a hawk?

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/31/2012 11:16 PM, Roy wrote:

Get the Starrett. If cost is critical, haunt that big online auction house
until you can find one for about $25 delivered. I have two pre-owned users in
my shop and other than a missing scribe, they are perfectly fine. FWIW, I also
obtained a Brown and Sharp from the bay for less than the Starrett's go for.
It's cosmetically challenged, but as accurate as a Starrett as far as I can
tell.

My first Starrett, obtained years ago new, still lives in the plastic bag it
came in, carefully oiled after each use, is stored in the original box and is
used as my reference square only.

I use my fathers Lufkin N0.66 12" combo square. It is at minimum 60
years old, could be older. It has been dropped on concrete 1000's of
times by me, probably same for my dad. It lives hanging off two nails
on my table saw bench. I recently, in a fit of tool buying frenzy,
where I often buy unneeded tools for my tools, I bought a Wixey digital
angle gauge. I immediately checked my table saw, jointer fence, BS
table and disk sander table, all of which were set up using my combo
square, and each was within 1/10th of a degree, more accurate than
needed for wood work, and exactly within the accuracy guarantee of the
Wixey digital angle hickey. I always loved my Lufkin because it was my
dads, now I love it also because it is right on the money.

Money invested in precision is good money. You will get it back in reduced
wasted wood, wasted time and less frustration. Don't wait as long as I did to
have this revelation.

Wood work doesn't require the precision of a machine shop. Wood changes
shape just breathing on it, and the pores of some wood is larger than
the accuracy of machine shop measuring devices. I also have one of
those digital calibers that measure stuff to 1/128th of an inch. Works
OK for metal, but for wood, particularly soft wood, I can change more
than 1/28th" just by how tight I wrap it around the wood. That type of
accuracy is not needed in wood work.

That said, you still want a square that is square, and will stay square
w/o saving it it an oiled, in a plastic bag.

Not sure you need to spend $100 on a darn square, but I never bought
one, so can only speculate.

If your jointer is a Stanley to Type 13 #7 or 8, or a 607/608, you can send it
to me and I will set it up for you and return it...some day.

My jointer is a Rockwell Delta. When edge jointing for joining two
boards to make a wider board, I don't care, or even want the fence at
90°. One edge face against the fence, adjoining edge away from the
fence. Perfect every time. Same principle used with the Stanely I
believe. Face jointing I rely on the planer to get things parallel, not
the jointer fence. The jointer is the only tool I can think of the
fence is (generally) not a big deal.

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com

On Sat, 31 Mar 2012 19:41:44 -0500, Steve
wrote:

Just found out today, whilst checking my new in box, auction bought
jointer, that my combination square (gawd knows where i got it) had a
nice crook in the blade. I'm looking to buy a new one and was wondering
just what in the world is the difference between a $6 one and a $105
starrett? I won't be buying a starrett, so please make suggestions
below that brand.G

thanks!

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/2/2012 11:13 AM, Swingman wrote:
On 4/2/2012 9:14 AM, tiredofspam wrote:
Swingy, are you experiencing major slowdowns, and script crashes with
your update?

No script crashes. I'm getting "TB is not responding" messages for at
least 15 to 30 seconds each time the program is opened and _after_ it
checks mail. I've done all the usual deleting .msf files etc., to no avail.

It has never exhibited this behavior, in five years of use, until this
last update.

Now you tell me. Not 5 minutes ago I got the TB update message to
11.01. I had been getting it for a few days and this time said OK.
Now, I know next time I load TB, it will be updating me to 11.01, the
one you are using...

TB has been ****ing me off since they started updating every other day,
and stupidly update major version numbers every few minutes. Went from
version 3something, which took years to get too, to version 11something,
that took months to get to. I'm losing lots of faith in TB, but
stubborn as I am, I'll probably stay with it until at least a million
people tell me something else is better. Actually, if *you* find
something better, I'd bite.

FWIW, to any and all ****heads: I'm not the slightest bit intererested
in the fact that _your_ TB installation somehow works perfectly, so if
the shoe fits, somehow contain yourself, and STFU.

TB has been acting up one way or another for a good while. The last
update (11) seemed OK, Now I have to look forward to ver 11.01 next
time a load it up. One reason I keep updating is it never seems to work
quite right, so I keep hoping. I think I could have lived with 11.0...

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/5/2012 9:09 AM, Jack wrote:
[...]

Just don't allow the Test Pilot extension to be loaded and you should be OK.

TB has gotten way too complicated and full of unneeded bells and
whistles, IMO.

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

Jack writes:
[...]

http://pan.rebelbase.com/

scott

Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Need a combination square OT

On 4/2/2012 3:24 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Mon, 02 Apr 2012 08:56:16 -0400, Keith Nuttle
wrote:

On 4/2/2012 8:41 AM, Swingman wrote:
On 4/1/2012 10:45 PM, CW wrote:

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

I miss the old Outlook Express. Now I use Agent.

At least I know that I wasn't missing something. I agree about Outlook
Express. Typical Microsoft. If it works, change it.

Gotta add those useless bells and whistles and bling or it's not
considered progress by the ADD generation

Not to mention that after all these years MSFT still hasn't figured out
an automatic and smooth transition from standard to daylight savings
time. My new Win7 laptop stubbed its toe three times before it finally
got that right.

I switched to Thunderbird as an email/news client, but the last "update"
has now caused it problems.

When things work, ya gotta **** with it in the name of looks, until it
doesn't.

I am using the most recent TB 11.0.1 which was just released. I have
was not having problems with TB 11 but always keep my programs current
for the security updates.

Have you contacted mozilla.support.thunderbird for help with your problems?

Are any of you guys having problems with TB closing open messages when
it gets new messages? I sometime leave several open and it invariably
closes them on me when I'm not looking. Maddening! Bugzilla doesn't
respond.

No, I was having problems with TB asking for my passwords to get mail,
over and over, but not all the time. That had been happening off and on
for a while, but ver 11 seemed to fix it (knock on wood) Now I'm at
11.01 and so far, so good, and none of the problems Swing is having...
so far.

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com