Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
James E. Baldock (Jim)

Default Combination Square and other Metalworking Tools in WW Shop

Group,

I recently gave a Power Point talk to the Cincinnati Woodworking Club on
‘Metalworking tools in the Woodworking Shop’. The Club has posted it on
their website in pdf.

http://www.cincinnatiwoodworkingclub.org/

click Meetings Page
click See Selected Presentations from Past Meetings
click Metalworking Tools in a Woodworking Shop

Jim

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner Asch

On Sun, 20 Nov 2005 09:00:32 -0500, "James E. Baldock (Jim)"
wrote:

Group,

I recently gave a Power Point talk to the Cincinnati Woodworking Club on
‘Metalworking tools in the Woodworking Shop’. The Club has posted it on
their website in pdf.

http://www.cincinnatiwoodworkingclub.org/

click Meetings Page
click See Selected Presentations from Past Meetings
click Metalworking Tools in a Woodworking Shop

Jim

THANK YOU!

That was a very informative and well put together presentation and I
learned some stuff from it that Id not known (which is a
lot..unfortunately)
Im now looking at my combination squares in a new light.

Well done Sir...Well done indeed!

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Brian Lawson

wrote:

Group,

I recently gave a Power Point talk to the Cincinnati Woodworking Club on
‘Metalworking tools in the Woodworking Shop’. The Club has posted it on
their website in pdf.

http://www.cincinnatiwoodworkingclub.org/

click Meetings Page
click See Selected Presentations from Past Meetings
click Metalworking Tools in a Woodworking Shop

Jim

Hey Jim,

Good job, thank you. Hope your club appreciated the effort too.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Errol Groff

wrote:

Group,

I recently gave a Power Point talk to the Cincinnati Woodworking Club on
‘Metalworking tools in the Woodworking Shop’. The Club has posted it on
their website in pdf.

http://www.cincinnatiwoodworkingclub.org/

click Meetings Page
click See Selected Presentations from Past Meetings
click Metalworking Tools in a Woodworking Shop

Jim

That is a very nicely done presentation! Good work and thanks for
sharing.

Errol Groff

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John Wilson

"James E. Baldock (Jim)" wrote in message
Group,

I recently gave a Power Point talk to the Cincinnati Woodworking Club on
‘Metalworking tools in the Woodworking Shop’. The Club has posted it on
their website in pdf.

http://www.cincinnatiwoodworkingclub.org/

click Meetings Page
click See Selected Presentations from Past Meetings
click Metalworking Tools in a Woodworking Shop

Jim

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Excellent stuff, learned much, thanks for sharing.
John.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John Martin

Nice job.

You may not be aware of it, but the picture of the Hasher that you
showed is incomplete. The chopping blades worked inside a round tin
tub, which had a gear on its base and was rotated by a pawl with every
stroke. It's really a handsome machine - green paint, IIRC, with
pinstriping. People in Athol used to refer to the original factory as
"the Hasher".

One small point - the blue used to check flatness is not Dykem, but
Hi-Spot blue. It's a paste, not a fluid. Dykem may actually make one,
but when most machinists refer to Dykem they mean the lacquer-type
layout fluid.

John Martin

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Erik

THANK YOU!

That was a very informative and well put together presentation and I
learned some stuff from it that Id not known (which is a
lot..unfortunately)
Im now looking at my combination squares in a new light.

Well done Sir...Well done indeed!

Gunner

I agree, great job with the presentation.

There is nothing like a good combination square... my father gave me one
when I was about 6 or 7, a (cast iron head) 12" Craftsman. To this day,
it's still square as can be, and considering it's had use several times
a week for almost 45 years now, still looks good. As far as I can
remember, it was the first tool I owned. (Believe it or not, I still
have the original little scribe in it! Still sharp too...)

I also have a crude hook rule I made from an old steel carpenters
square. Just wacked one of the legs way down... extremely handy at times
for general cobbling. They should sell them like that. Got the idea for
it here a while back, someone said they'd made one for welding use IIRC.

Erik
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
James E. Baldock (Jim)

John,

Thanks for your input. Your comments are welcomed. I did not know the
'Hasher' was incomplete. I stand corrected with the Dykem although I did
know the difference. The problem came about in that in my past life with
Cincinnati Milacron the term Dykem was generally used for any thing blue.

Thanks,

JIM

John Martin wrote:

Nice job.

You may not be aware of it, but the picture of the Hasher that you
showed is incomplete. The chopping blades worked inside a round tin
tub, which had a gear on its base and was rotated by a pawl with every
stroke. It's really a handsome machine - green paint, IIRC, with
pinstriping. People in Athol used to refer to the original factory as
"the Hasher".

One small point - the blue used to check flatness is not Dykem, but
Hi-Spot blue. It's a paste, not a fluid. Dykem may actually make one,
but when most machinists refer to Dykem they mean the lacquer-type
layout fluid.

John Martin

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bugs

Dykem is a trade name. They also make a paste. You can get the same
thing in oil paint from an art or hobby store. It's called Prussian
Blue. The oil paint will eventually set, so it should be wahed off
after use, just like Dykem. G
Bugs