Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
James E. Baldock (Jim)

Default Combination Square and other Metalworking Tools in WW Shop

John,

Thanks for your input. Your comments are welcomed. I did not know the
'Hasher' was incomplete. I stand corrected with the Dykem although I did
know the difference. The problem came about in that in my past life with
Cincinnati Milacron the term Dykem was generally used for any thing blue.

Thanks,

JIM

John Martin wrote:

Nice job.

You may not be aware of it, but the picture of the Hasher that you
showed is incomplete. The chopping blades worked inside a round tin
tub, which had a gear on its base and was rotated by a pawl with every
stroke. It's really a handsome machine - green paint, IIRC, with
pinstriping. People in Athol used to refer to the original factory as
"the Hasher".

One small point - the blue used to check flatness is not Dykem, but
Hi-Spot blue. It's a paste, not a fluid. Dykem may actually make one,
but when most machinists refer to Dykem they mean the lacquer-type
layout fluid.

John Martin