Posted to rec.woodworking
Father Haskell Father Haskell is offline

Default Need a combination square

On Mar 31, 8:41*pm, Steve Barker wrote:
Just found out today, whilst checking my new in box, auction bought
jointer, that my combination square (gawd knows where i got it) had a
nice crook in the blade. *I'm looking to buy a new one and was wondering
just what in the world is the difference between a $6 one and a $105
starrett? * I won't be buying a starrett, so please make suggestions
below that brand. G

Old Unions are nice, cheap squares. These get used for most
general shop or household repair jobs.

Paid $25 for my used Starrett combo square and 18" rule
(flea market); would probably never have bought one new,
for list price. Very, very nice to have parts laid out and
machines set up well enough that projects go together
square and true the first time, no trimming or paring needed.
Even an expensive new Starrett would pay for itself very quickly.