Posted to rec.woodworking

Default California Considers Tougher Safety Standards for Tablesaws

(Pasted from Fine woodwroking website. Some of you may already be
aware of this, I wasn't)
Marc

The California State Assembly is considering a bill that will require
all tablesaws sold in the state be equipped with SawStop-like
technology, which can detect and prevent blade contact injuries.
Called the Table Saw Safety Act, the legislation was introduced by
Assemblyman Das Williams (D- Santa Barbara), and, if passed, will be
included in California’s Health and Safety Code.

The legislation has caused a stir among tablesaw manufacturers, with a
few posting “legislative action advisory” on their websites, urging
folks to contact Williams and other members of the California Assembly
to voice their opposition to the legislation. The fear among
manufacturers is that such a law will spread quickly to other states.
If passed, the bill would go into effect Jan. 1, 2015. Any seller that
does not comply will be subject to a civil fine, with a maximum of
$5,000 per sale.

The announcement of the bill comes as the U.S. Consumer Product Safety
Commision ponders the same possible requirements on a national scale.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/15/2012 9:27 PM, marc rosen wrote:
[...]

I betcha it is going to have to come with a cancer warning label also!
Posted to rec.woodworking

NO... NO... IT CAN'T BE...

I'm to young for this...

I don't deserve this...

It wasn't my fault...

I'll change... please... for the love of all things sacred...

NOT ANOTHER F'IN SAWSTOP THREAD.

I don't care about civil rights violations, or having to join the
Michigan militia out of protest. I won't vote for Ron Paul so he can
stop this. I won't renounce my citizenship to this country nor be a
Dittohead because I feel put upon as a little guy.

I don't give one **** about the nanny state or the whining that
follows it. I don't care if anyone wants to cut of hands, ears,
fingers, smash their head into a spinning blade, or jump naked onto
their saw leading with their privates to cut them off and prove that
is their God given right as a human being.

Just not another Sawstop thread.

Please... all the keyboard Limbaughs... all the Bill Mahers... all
the indignant people being crushed by an unfair system... just read
the other Sawstop threads. There are many **hundreds** of responses
on some of them, many with mean nasty personal remarks fired at fellow
formites, comments on the inherent profound stupidity of people that
don't agree with a post, and personal challenges to members to be more
professional and risk their body parts in the name of personal
independence and protecting their rights.

It's all been said. Over and over and over and over and over and
over again.

Somehow... I'll bet this will be one of those.

Nice, Marc. I am sure that pages of indignant bitching here will
serve a great purpose.

Robert
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
[...]

This reminds me of what I read in the manual for the Grizzly 690 TS
(page 86):

Safety labels warn about machine hazards and ways to prevent injury. The
owner of this machine MUST maintain the original location and
readability of the labels on the machine. If any label is
removed or becomes unreadable, REPLACE that label before using the
machine again.

The lawyers surely got to them! : )

Posted to rec.woodworking

See the rest of Robert's comments above.

It's all been said. * Over and over and over and over and over and
over again.

Somehow... I'll bet this will be one of those.

Nice, Marc. *I am sure that pages of indignant bitching here will
serve a great purpose.

Robert

Hey Robert,
I sincerely apologize for this. I was, and am not trying to start
another Sawstop thread and I am also not anything like Limball or
Maher. I just thought it was interesting that a State (or more
accurately, one of its Representatives) would offer to enact a law
requiring such technology.

I think I learned a lesson here; If I ever post again and it is not
strictly woodworking related I'll be sure it won't be political. An
occasional joke, sure, but no offerings to upset anyone.
Marc

(But you can also ignore any posting that has the words Saw or Stop in
them.)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 16 Mar 2012 00:13:00 -0400, Bill wrote:

Leon wrote:
[...]

Ayup. And the first (what, NINETEEN?) pages in every electrical hand
tool is rife with warnings from the same crew of speaking weasels.

Years ago, there was a story about some idiot who lost his entire hand
when he reached up inside the _wood chipper_ from the bottom to see if
he could get whatever was stuck out the bottom. I wish I'd saved a
hard copy, as the speaking weasels had it taken off the Internet soon
thereafter. It resulted in the caution/danger signs at the bottom of
the unit.

Connected to every warning label, there is a truly mystifying DUH!

--
Stay centered by accepting whatever you are doing.
This is the ultimate. -- Chuang-tzu
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 15 Mar 2012 21:02:39 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

[...]

I'm witcha, Naily. The new acronym for this topic will be NAFSST.

--
Stay centered by accepting whatever you are doing.
This is the ultimate. -- Chuang-tzu
Posted to rec.woodworking

"marc rosen" wrote in message
(Pasted from Fine woodwroking website. Some of you may already be
aware of this, I wasn't)
Marc

The California State Assembly is considering a bill that will require
all tablesaws sold in the state be equipped with SawStop-like
technology, which can detect and prevent blade contact injuries.
Called the Table Saw Safety Act, the legislation was introduced by
Assemblyman Das Williams (D- Santa Barbara), and, if passed, will be
included in California’s Health and Safety Code.

The worst part about this, from my vantage point, is that a lot of "ground
breaking" "safety related" legistlation in CA ends up being pushed in NY...
it doesn't matter if it doesn't work right, creates new problems, or costs a
lot and solves no problems... For example, though probably a national thing,
the spill proof gas cans are a good example of all of these situations. The
one way valve doesn't fit the fuel fill hole on many small engines and is so
tough to depress that you end up moving/knocking over some machines. The
solution is to remove the fill tube and pour straight from the can with or
without a funnel.... especially with the 1 and 3 gallon cans. Another area
of idiocy are some of the gun regulations... The uninteneded consequences of
feel good legislation.

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

"marc rosen" wrote in message
[...]

I HATE those spill proof gas cans and it seems a few years ago those
showed up and nothing else is available any longer. I do spill more now
than I did. The spout is absolutely too short to be of any good. I
partially fixed one of its problems by disabling the lock lever you have
to depress in order to open the valve.

The ill thought POS would be 100 times better if it had a 12" flexible
spout.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Default On a different note....;~(

In article ,
Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

Robert, have you tried Rebecca Creek whiskey? Made in Texas and IMHO
pretty good. A very different taste.

Send us a bottle, I'll give it a try.

I normally dring the Islay malts

--
Stuart Winsor

Only plain text for emails
http://www.asciiribbon.org

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in
:

I HATE those spill proof gas cans and it seems a few years ago those
showed up and nothing else is available any longer. I do spill more
now than I did. The spout is absolutely too short to be of any good.
I partially fixed one of its problems by disabling the lock lever you
have to depress in order to open the valve.

The ill thought POS would be 100 times better if it had a 12" flexible
spout.

The ones I got had a detachable flexible hose, but it really didn't do
very much good. It might work for smaller cans, but the big 5 gallon
ones are just too heavy for it to be useful.

One can company had a "venting spout" design that barely worked before
this non-sense spill-proof stuff. It only worked if the can was at just
the right angle, and you didn't move it...

Whatever happened to a can that's stable in its normal position (so it's
hard to knock over), with a open spout and a vent hole on the back? Was
the design just too good? Sure, I spilled quite a bit with those cans,
but that was because the gas tank on the mower was opaque.

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

Posted to rec.woodworking

..... The one way valve doesn't fit the fuel fill
hole on many small engines and is so tough to depress that you end up
moving/knocking over some machines. The solution is to remove the fill
tube and pour straight from the can with or without a funnel....
especially with the 1 and 3 gallon cans. Another area of idiocy are some
of the gun regulations... The uninteneded consequences of feel good
legislation.

QUINNs FIRST LAW: Liberalism always generates the exact opposite of its
stated intent
--
Jack
http://jbstein.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/16/2012 12:02 AM, wrote:
NO... NO... IT CAN'T BE...

Perhaps rather than participating in threads that hold no interest to
you, you could simply skip them instead of telling everyone interested
enough to read and reply how it should be...

When government insists on telling folks what they must buy,
particularly expensive wood working products, it tends to spark the
interest of woodworkers, hard as that is for you to believe. Further,
if a thread gets tons of play, it's not because people are not interested.

Further, since forced use of saw stop tech is fresh on the minds of the
dolts in government hell bent in protecting everyone from themselves,
the subject is timely. After the laws are passed, it's a little late to
do much about it.

Personally, I think anyone dumb enough to vote for dolts like Pelosi,
Brown and other left wing dingbats, probably should not be using
dangerous wood working tools to begin with, and certainly not without
intense government intervention.

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

Jack wrote:

QUINNs FIRST LAW: Liberalism always generates the exact opposite of its
stated intent

Which is the unstated purpose of Liberalism.

EdR
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/16/2012 7:03 AM, Leon wrote:
"marc rosen" wrote in message
[...]

the secret is to buy the old fashioned vented cans at farm auctions. I
have a couple dozen five gallon cans in perfect condition being stored
in a cool dark place. I'll never have one of the worthless new style,
slow flowing junk *******s.

--
Steve Barker

Posted to rec.woodworking

Steve Barker wrote:

the secret is to buy the old fashioned vented cans at farm auctions. I
have a couple dozen five gallon cans in perfect condition being
stored in a cool dark place. I'll never have one of the worthless
new style, slow flowing junk *******s.

I am now accepting offers for Steve's old style gas cans. Please be advised
that due to the rare and valuable nature of these cans, offers below $100
(for a one gallon can), will not be entertained.

(psssttttt... Steve - can we talk off to the side?...)

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/16/2012 9:58 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
Steve Barker wrote:

the secret is to buy the old fashioned vented cans at farm auctions. I
have a couple dozen five gallon cans in perfect condition being
stored in a cool dark place. I'll never have one of the worthless
new style, slow flowing junk *******s.

I am now accepting offers for Steve's old style gas cans. Please be advised
that due to the rare and valuable nature of these cans, offers below $100
(for a one gallon can), will not be entertained.

(psssttttt... Steve - can we talk off to the side?...)

no way dude. find yer own. LOL!

--
Steve Barker
Posted to rec.woodworking

Jack wrote:

.... The one way valve doesn't fit the fuel fill
hole on many small engines and is so tough to depress that you end up
moving/knocking over some machines. The solution is to remove the
fill tube and pour straight from the can with or without a funnel....
especially with the 1 and 3 gallon cans. Another area of idiocy are
some of the gun regulations... The uninteneded consequences of feel
good legislation.

QUINNs FIRST LAW: Liberalism always generates the exact opposite of
its stated intent

I have another: Most problems in society can be traced to a failed,
up-stream, liberal, solution to another problem (i.e., schools, homlessness,
etc.).

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 17 Mar 2012 13:41:18 -0400, Gerald Ross
Robert, have you tried Rebecca Creek whiskey? Made in Texas and IMHO
pretty good. A very different taste.

Can't find it her in GA. Can you send me a bottle to try?

Hmmm! There's none up here in Canada either. Better send me a case so
me and Robatoy can pass it around.