Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default California Considers Tougher Safety Standards for Tablesaws

"marc rosen" wrote in message
(Pasted from Fine woodwroking website. Some of you may already be
aware of this, I wasn't)
Marc

The California State Assembly is considering a bill that will require
all tablesaws sold in the state be equipped with SawStop-like
technology, which can detect and prevent blade contact injuries.
Called the Table Saw Safety Act, the legislation was introduced by
Assemblyman Das Williams (D- Santa Barbara), and, if passed, will be
included in California’s Health and Safety Code.

The worst part about this, from my vantage point, is that a lot of
"ground breaking" "safety related" legistlation in CA ends up being
pushed in NY... it doesn't matter if it doesn't work right, creates new
problems, or costs a lot and solves no problems... For example, though
probably a national thing, the spill proof gas cans are a good example
of all of these situations. The one way valve doesn't fit the fuel fill
hole on many small engines and is so tough to depress that you end up
moving/knocking over some machines. The solution is to remove the fill
tube and pour straight from the can with or without a funnel....
especially with the 1 and 3 gallon cans. Another area of idiocy are some
of the gun regulations... The uninteneded consequences of feel good
legislation.

John

I HATE those spill proof gas cans and it seems a few years ago those
showed up and nothing else is available any longer. I do spill more now
than I did. The spout is absolutely too short to be of any good. I
partially fixed one of its problems by disabling the lock lever you have
to depress in order to open the valve.

The ill thought POS would be 100 times better if it had a 12" flexible
spout.