Kevin Singleton

Default Cheap tools from Harbor Freight

For all you cheap *******s that don't get the e-mails:

18V, Cordless
4 Tool Combo Pack
90374-3VGA
$29.99

This stuff has gotta be dangerous!

Kevin
--
=====

Eugene

Larry Jaques wrote:

On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 15:32:09 -0400, "Kevin Singleton"
calmly ranted:

For all you cheap *******s that don't get the e-mails:

18V, Cordless
4 Tool Combo Pack
90374-3VGA
$29.99

This stuff has gotta be dangerous!

g Also note that the package ships with only ONE battery
while the pic shows all 4 units with batteries attached.
Pay attention before you buy!

- Clinton never - * Wondrous Website Design
- EXhaled.- * http://www.diversify.com

I'd place bets on the price of an extra/replacement battery pack being about
$50-$60

jo4hn

Kevin Singleton wrote:

For all you cheap *******s that don't get the e-mails:

18V, Cordless
4 Tool Combo Pack
90374-3VGA
$29.99

This stuff has gotta be dangerous!

Kevin

Its useful life is directly proportional to the amount of use it gets.
If you never use it, it will last forever. :-)
mahalo,
jo4hn

AArDvarK

....and on this tool they say it themselves..."almost impossible to use" laughs.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=1701

However HF is great for clamps made of iron and steel, super cheap shipping .
I bought 4 1/2" pipe clamps they work great, and 4 24" bar clamps and work
great. In store purchase though.

Alex

Woodcrafter

"AArDvarK" wrote in message
...and on this tool they say it themselves..."almost impossible to use"

laughs.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=1701

Err... you might want to read that again
I think it says: "almost impossible to lose"

:-)

Regards,

Dean Bielanowski
Editor,
Online Tool Reviews
http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com
Over 50 woodworking product reviews online!
Latest 6 Reviews:
- Pocket Hole Drilling Jig Project Book
- Kreg Universal Bench Klamp
- GRR-Ripper System & MJ Splitter
- Spaceage Ceramic Bandsaw Guides
- Infinity "Dadonator" Stacked Dado Set
- Triton Powered Respirator

AL

A new battery is $10. 90121-0VGA. But I wouldn't recommend anyone buy
this set. Nor would I recommend anyone buy the equivalent set from Delta
(which looks remarkably like this one).

"Eugene" wrote in message
Larry Jaques wrote:

On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 15:32:09 -0400, "Kevin Singleton"
calmly ranted:

For all you cheap *******s that don't get the e-mails:

18V, Cordless
4 Tool Combo Pack
90374-3VGA
$29.99

This stuff has gotta be dangerous!

g Also note that the package ships with only ONE battery
while the pic shows all 4 units with batteries attached.
Pay attention before you buy!

- Clinton never - * Wondrous Website Design
- EXhaled.- * http://www.diversify.com

I'd place bets on the price of an extra/replacement battery pack being

about
$50-$60

AArDvarK

Err... you might want to read that again
I think it says: "almost impossible to lose"

yes I did see that later, sorryyyyyy!
Alex

Eugene

Tim Douglass wrote:

On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 06:13:02 GMT, "AL" wrote:

A new battery is $10. 90121-0VGA. But I wouldn't recommend anyone buy
this set. Nor would I recommend anyone buy the equivalent set from Delta
(which looks remarkably like this one).

I have one of the cheap HF drills - a 14V. It works and has done
pretty good duty for the last year or so since I dropped my better one
and couldn't swing the scratch to replace it with something decent.
The only real comment I have on it is that the motor is about half the
power of my old 14V drill - not sure why that should be. It also seems
to use the batteries awfully fast. For light duty around the house I
suspect these things would work OK - not great, but OK.

Personally, on a price-performance basis the Ryobi tools at the orange
Borg get my vote. I've used several of them and they seem solid and
work well. Long term may be different, but for the price you can buy 3
sets of Ryobi's before you match the price of the good stuff. I
wouldn't recommend them if they didn't work, but if you close your
eyes you won't tell any difference between the Ryobi and, say, the
DeWalt.

YMMV

Tim Douglass

http://www.DouglassClan.com

I still have my first 9.6V Makita drill bought in 1991. Replaced the two
original batteries a couple years ago so I got about 10 years out of them.
I've bought a few more tools that use the same old stick style battery.
I've spent $500-600 on the tools and batteries from 1991 to 2004. So if
you take $600 divided by 13 years, I have spent $46 per year on cordless
tools so if the HF set lasts more than 1 year each we both spent about the
same amount. However I have saved a lot of frustration by having better
quality tools for those 13 years.

Eugene

J T wrote:

Wed, Jul 28, 2004, 5:06pm (EDT+4) (Eugene)
claims:
I still have my first 9.6V Makita drill bought in 1991. Replaced the two
original batteries a couple years ago so I got about 10 years out of
them. I've bought a few more tools that use the same old stick style
battery. I've spent $500-600 on the tools and batteries from 1991 to
2004. So if you take $600 divided by 13 years, I have spent $46 per year
on cordless tools so if the HF set lasts more than 1 year each we both
spent about the same amount. However I have saved a lot of frustration
by having better quality tools for those 13 years.

Hmm, OK, if we're comparing, then here's my tale. Still have, and
use, the B&D drill I bought new in 1976. If I recall right, I paid
about $18, but certainly no more than $20, for it. Battery cost over
the years - it's corded, so zero. However, I did buy a new
whatchamacallit to loosen the thingie that holds the drill (technical
terms), for about $3, so say a total of $23 invested. So, if you divide
$23 by 28 years, that comes out to about $.82 per year. Plus, I have
saved a huge amount of frustration by not having to charge batteries, or
buy new ones, because the old ones won't charge. Well, actually I have
bought a few etxension cords over the years, but as they are normally
used for something other than drill use, I'm not counting them.

Putting up with cords while using my drill is worth $46 a year, any
time.

JOAT
Expensive tennis shoes won't cure a sore toe.
- Bazooka Joe
JERUSALEM RIDGE
http://www.banjer.com/midi/jerridge.mid

I prefer the cordless. The cordless circular saw works best on the plywood
panel workbench which oddly enough resembles the bed of my truck, don't
have to drag a cord out the driveway. They also worked well helping dad
build the barn 1/2 mile on top of a mountain in WV where there are no
electric lines.
In 1976 a $20 drill/saw/whatever was still decent quality. I have a $19 B&D
jigsaw that has lasted a few years since I haven't ever used it since the
first time when it broke its blade and bent the base, then I replaced the
blade and tried again but its mechanism has so much side to side slop that
you can't cut a straight edge. It was a gift from the in laws so I haven't
thrown it away yet for fear they will ask me if I still have that saw they
bought me. I did buy a metal bending brake from HF that was supposed to to
16ga steel. I slid in some thin aluminum and tried to bend it and the cheap
steel of the brake bowed in the middle so every bend it makes is curved.
My in laws always buy the cheapest stuff they can. They will buy the same
$20 tool 3-4 times in 5 years and I will buy one tool for $50-60 and it
will last 10. They still think I pay too much for tools even thought I
come out ahead in the long run.

Norm Dresner

"Tim Douglass" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 06:13:02 GMT, "AL" wrote:

A new battery is $10. 90121-0VGA. But I wouldn't recommend anyone buy
this set. Nor would I recommend anyone buy the equivalent set from Delta
(which looks remarkably like this one).

I have one of the cheap HF drills - a 14V. It works and has done
pretty good duty for the last year or so since I dropped my better one
and couldn't swing the scratch to replace it with something decent.
The only real comment I have on it is that the motor is about half the
power of my old 14V drill - not sure why that should be.

Voltage is not the only thing that determines the power in the motor.
Remember that you can but 120V AC motors from 1/60HP to at least 2 HP

Norm

toller

Personally, on a price-performance basis the Ryobi tools at the orange
Borg get my vote. I've used several of them and they seem solid and
work well. Long term may be different, but for the price you can buy 3
sets of Ryobi's before you match the price of the good stuff. I
wouldn't recommend them if they didn't work, but if you close your
eyes you won't tell any difference between the Ryobi and, say, the
DeWalt.

I have the 18v Ryobis and like them fine; but my 12v DeWalt is more
powerful.

Larry Jaques

Default Cheap NIMH Batteries (was Cheap tools from Harbor Freight)

On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 06:13:02 GMT, "AL" calmly ranted:

A new battery is $10. 90121-0VGA. But I wouldn't recommend anyone buy
this set. Nor would I recommend anyone buy the equivalent set from Delta
(which looks remarkably like this one).

I got the $99 Ryobi set and it worked fine for 2 years. Now
both batteries decided to go tits-up. I'm getting 4 minutes
of service apiece from them and they die in 3 days without
any use. Time for alternative sourcing. Anyone use the Ebay
battery people, PowerGears ?

- Clinton never - * Wondrous Website Design
- EXhaled.- * http://www.diversify.com

Tom Dooley

I got one of those Chicago drywall cut-out tools for 20 bucks and
coudn't be happier with it. The plastic base didn't last long, so I
fabbed up a sturdier one.
For me to go to that much trouble for a twenty dollar tool means a lot!

Kevin Craig

In article , J T
wrote:

Hmm, OK, if we're comparing, then here's my tale. Still have, and
use, the B&D drill I bought new in 1976. If I recall right, I paid
about $18, but certainly no more than $20, for it.

I have the B&D corded drill my father won for free as part of a gas
station grand opening, circa 1970. It's a 1/4" drill, aluminum housing
(definitely not double insulated!), single speed, no reverse, with a
two-finger grip.

That sucker will still spin a bit with zero wobble, after many years of
abuse, and will twist right out of your hand if you're not paying
attention. I don't use it for drilling because it's single speed, but
it's perfect for chucking up a grinding stone to sharpen mower blades,
etc.

Oh, and a tank of gas at 1970 prices was probably three bucks. And 34
years later, I'll put my $0.09 per year into the pot. :-)

Kevin
Tim Douglass

On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 17:06:13 +0000, Eugene
wrote:

Tim Douglass wrote:

[...]

Yeah, but my 9.6 Makita from way back when only lasted about 2 years.
Not the fault of the tool, they just aren't engineered to take a 12'
2x6 falling on them. For a long time I mostly used my cordless tools
for remodeling work or for farm stuff. It really doesn't matter if
they are good ones or cheap junk, you're going to destroy them long
before they wear out.

Tim Douglass

http://www.DouglassClan.com

Eugene

Scott Lurndal wrote:

Eugene writes:

Then by the time you buy a generator for the corded tools, you would have
spent more than buying the cordless
My parents did finally buy a generator last year though, but its a pain to
carry on a John Deere.

So, you're a woodworker, right? Design and build a platform that mounts
on the 3-point hitch. May even end up useful for more than just the
generator.

(Unless your deere is old enough that it doesn't _have_ a three-point
hitch :-)

scott

The crawler, or more commonly called a bulldozer doesn't. Interesting old
2 cly engine with a 4 cyl distributer on it with two positions capped off.
Anyway my point was more to poke fun at JT for trying to bring a cordless vs
corded argument into a thread on cordless

ray

On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 10:52:50 -0700, Tim Douglass wrote:

Personally, on a price-performance basis the Ryobi tools at the orange
Borg get my vote. I've used several of them and they seem solid and
work well. Long term may be different, but for the price you can buy 3
sets of Ryobi's before you match the price of the good stuff. I
wouldn't recommend them if they didn't work, but if you close your
eyes you won't tell any difference between the Ryobi and, say, the
DeWalt.

YMMV

MMDV (my mileage did vary) I bought the 12 volt Ryobi contractors driver
a couple of years ago. The first one twisted off the chuck within a month
of purchase. Sheared it right off. HD replaced it, but now neither
battery will take a charge-- they just sit in the charger and blink red.
So in a burst of "brilliance," I went back to HD and bought the 12 volt
"consumer" driver for 50 bucks, since new batts for the old driver were
$40, and the new driver came with 2 12 volt batts. Imagine my surprise
when I discovered that the new Ryobi 12 volt batts do not fit the old
Ryobi 12 volt driver. Oh well. Might be a while before I buy another
Ryobi tool.
jo4hn

Tim Douglass wrote:
On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 22:25:59 -0400, (Tom
Dooley) wrote:

I got one of those Chicago drywall cut-out tools for 20 bucks and
coudn't be happier with it. The plastic base didn't last long, so I
fabbed up a sturdier one.
For me to go to that much trouble for a twenty dollar tool means a lot!

That's another one. When they hit $20 I couldn't pass it up. So far
the base on mine is holding up fine after a couple of drywall jobs.
I'm actually pleased and surprised with it.

Tim Douglass

http://www.DouglassClan.com

My next door neighbor does a lot of handyman work and would go through
one of these drills in a couple days. HF replaced them for a while, but
then he had to drive for a couple hours (round trip) to exchange it. I
suggested he get a good one and showed him my Panasonic 15.6. He ooohed
and aahhhed appropriately and agreed that he needed something more
substantial. Came back with a B&D. Sigh. Lasted a month.
mahalo,
jo4hn

Andrew Smith

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 06:13:02 GMT, "AL" calmly ranted:

A new battery is $10. 90121-0VGA. But I wouldn't recommend anyone buy
this set. Nor would I recommend anyone buy the equivalent set from Delta
(which looks remarkably like this one).

I got the $99 Ryobi set and it worked fine for 2 years. Now
both batteries decided to go tits-up. I'm getting 4 minutes
of service apiece from them and they die in 3 days without
any use. Time for alternative sourcing. Anyone use the Ebay
battery people, PowerGears ?

Batteries Plus usually has good replacements for hand tools.

a.

Larry Jaques

On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 19:19:58 GMT, ray calmly
ranted:

[...]

I've been doing Ryobi battery research today. Here's what I found
for the 14.4v batt packs I need:

Ebay:
PowerGears wants $25 for a new pack. "Good quality, Japanese-made."

Google:
PrimeCell: $40 2Ah, $55 2.6Ah, $68 3Ah nimh for rebuilds.
BatteryBarn: $54 for a 1.5Ah POS, $60 for a 2Ah rebuild.
BatterySavings: $50
Ebatts: $57 (same source as BatterySavings)
Voltmanbatteries: $30 (you pay shipping to them only, Sanyo 1.8Ah)
Powertoolbattery: $54
Batteryprice: $38.85 1.5Ah
Interbatteries: $34.53 1.7Ah exact replacement, new. $40 2Ah,
$7 UPS to ship 1 or 2 packs.

I may try a pack from each: PowerGears and Interbattery.

- Clinton never - * Wondrous Website Design
- EXhaled.- * http://www.diversify.com

J T

Fri, Jul 30, 2004, 10:36pm (EDT+4)
(Lobby=A0Dosser) says:
Try a search on 'Hull Oaks'. It's a functioning steam powered sawmill
snip

Nope, not even close. That's a sawmill. Anyway, checked it out
long ago.

I dug out the book with this in it. Under the picture it say,
"Cloughjordan, Co, Tipperary, Eire".

Apparently the clipping appeared, in "Railway Engineering", by
Haldane, 1897. Apparently it was called a "steam cross-cut sawing
machine". It shows the thing in use, sawing a section of log in two.

A bit hard to describe. Apparently it was portable, as it has a
steam hose running to it, and is mounted on a rectangular base. Being
as it appeared in a railroad related book, I would suspect it would
have been used for sawing up trees that had fallen over the tracks,
useing the locootive boiler as a steam source. The far end of the thing
has a screw, powered by a hand wheel, to raise and lower the blade,
sorta a rack and pinion. Then comes the piston, or steam engine if you
will, in a frame, which continues as a frame for the saw blade. In the
drawing, it looks like about half the blade is in the frame, when it's
fully retracted. Then the rest of the blade is in the open, and is
nicely started cutting the log.

Looks like it would definitely be workable, and a monotube boiler
would be simple enough to whip up. Looks like almost as much fun as the
steam powered can crusher.

JOAT
The highway of fear is the road to defeat.
- Bazooka Joe
JERUSALEM RIDGE
http://www.banjer.com/midi/jerridge.mid

Lobby Dosser

(J T) wrote in
:

Fri, Jul 30, 2004, 10:36pm (EDT+4)

(Lobby*Dosser) says:
[...]

Circular blade, or straight like a steam powered bow saw?

Cheap drills Simon Pleasants UK diy 11 June 22nd 04 12:17 AM
A thought on the bi weekly "what tools do I need" Mike G Woodworking 4 April 18th 04 10:18 PM
rec.woodworking ANTI-FAQ Part 2 of 10 - Tools Luigi Zanasi Woodworking 4 April 3rd 04 08:09 AM
Making Tools - And Marking Them JMartin957 Metalworking 5 March 30th 04 01:09 AM