Eugene

Default Cheap tools from Harbor Freight

Tim Douglass wrote:

On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 06:13:02 GMT, "AL" wrote:

A new battery is $10. 90121-0VGA. But I wouldn't recommend anyone buy
this set. Nor would I recommend anyone buy the equivalent set from Delta
(which looks remarkably like this one).

I have one of the cheap HF drills - a 14V. It works and has done
pretty good duty for the last year or so since I dropped my better one
and couldn't swing the scratch to replace it with something decent.
The only real comment I have on it is that the motor is about half the
power of my old 14V drill - not sure why that should be. It also seems
to use the batteries awfully fast. For light duty around the house I
suspect these things would work OK - not great, but OK.

Personally, on a price-performance basis the Ryobi tools at the orange
Borg get my vote. I've used several of them and they seem solid and
work well. Long term may be different, but for the price you can buy 3
sets of Ryobi's before you match the price of the good stuff. I
wouldn't recommend them if they didn't work, but if you close your
eyes you won't tell any difference between the Ryobi and, say, the
DeWalt.

YMMV

Tim Douglass

http://www.DouglassClan.com

I still have my first 9.6V Makita drill bought in 1991. Replaced the two
original batteries a couple years ago so I got about 10 years out of them.
I've bought a few more tools that use the same old stick style battery.
I've spent $500-600 on the tools and batteries from 1991 to 2004. So if
you take $600 divided by 13 years, I have spent $46 per year on cordless
tools so if the HF set lasts more than 1 year each we both spent about the
same amount. However I have saved a lot of frustration by having better
quality tools for those 13 years.