Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Finally got it done

Well, I asked a lot of questions here, and got a lot of help, for that I thank all. Took me a loooooong time to get it done, but my son was good enough to give me an excuse along the way, he got run over by a semi truck on his bicycle. He has made a full recovery after 6 months of excellent medical care not the least of which was given by my bride. Yeah, I guess it's true you never stop worrying (he's 27).

But I digress, this is about me;+} I finished my project and here it is, open for all comments....

http://jtpryan.smugmug.com/Woodworki...4555892_Tk27gd

Thanks again for the guidance

Jim
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 1, 12:47*pm, jtpr wrote:
Well, I asked a lot of questions here, and got a lot of help, for that I thank all. *Took me a loooooong time to get it done, but my son was good enough to give me an excuse along the way, he got run over by a semi truck on his bicycle. *He has made a full recovery after 6 months of excellent medical care not the least of which was given by my bride. *Yeah, I guess it's true you never stop worrying (he's 27).

But I digress, this is about me;+} I finished my project and here it is, open for all comments....

http://jtpryan.smugmug.com/Woodworki...4555892_Tk27gd

Thanks again for the guidance

Jim

Exquisite in style and execution. Very nicely done. (Nope...can't find
anything to bitch about)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 1, 12:47*pm, jtpr wrote:

Well, I asked a lot of questions here, and got a lot of help, for that I thank all. *Took me a loooooong time to get it done, but my son was good enough to give me an excuse along the way, he got run over by a semi truck on his bicycle. *He has made a full recovery after 6 months of excellent medical care not the least of which was given by my bride. *Yeah, I guess it's true you never stop worrying (he's 27).

But I digress, this is about me;+} I finished my project and here it is, open for all comments....

http://jtpryan.smugmug.com/Woodworki...4555892_Tk27gd

Thanks again for the guidance

Guidance...? Damn, you should be giving lessons. Very sweet island
and it fits very well with the rest of the house. What exactly is the
counter top made from?

Glad to hear that your son's made a full recovery. Not too many
people on bikes tangle with semis and break even.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Thank. The top is concrete. The sparkle is from the ground up sea shells. The drawer handles are boat cleats.

-Jim
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 1 Oct 2011 09:47:54 -0700 (PDT), jtpr
wrote:

Well, I asked a lot of questions here, and got a lot of help, for that I thank all. Took me a loooooong time to get it done, but my son was good enough to give me an excuse along the way, he got run over by a semi truck on his bicycle. He has made a full recovery after 6 months of excellent medical care not the least of which was given by my bride. Yeah, I guess it's true you never stop worrying (he's 27).

But I digress, this is about me;+} I finished my project and here it is, open for all comments....

http://jtpryan.smugmug.com/Woodworki...4555892_Tk27gd

Thanks again for the guidance

Outstanding, Jim. Beautiful unit, though I'm not too dippy about the
color choice for the countertop. Are those ball bearing glides?

--
It takes as much energy to wish as to plan.
--Eleanor Roosevelt

Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

jtpr wrote in

Well, I asked a lot of questions here, and got a lot of help, for that
I thank all. Took me a loooooong time to get it done, but my son was
good enough to give me an excuse along the way, he got run over by a
semi truck on his bicycle. He has made a full recovery after 6 months
of excellent medical care not the least of which was given by my
bride. Yeah, I guess it's true you never stop worrying (he's 27).

But I digress, this is about me;+} I finished my project and here it
is, open for all comments....

http://jtpryan.smugmug.com/Woodworki...4555892_Tk27gd

Thanks again for the guidance

Jim

Great job! And although not my color preference, that concrete does look
nice!

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to rec.woodworking

Han wrote:
wrote in

Well, I asked a lot of questions here, and got a lot of help, for that
I thank all. Took me a loooooong time to get it done, but my son was
good enough to give me an excuse along the way, he got run over by a
semi truck on his bicycle. He has made a full recovery after 6 months
of excellent medical care not the least of which was given by my
bride. Yeah, I guess it's true you never stop worrying (he's 27).

But I digress, this is about me;+} I finished my project and here it
is, open for all comments....

http://jtpryan.smugmug.com/Woodworki...4555892_Tk27gd

Thanks again for the guidance

Jim

Great job!

Yep. Really nice! I'm a bit envious or your windows too.

Bill
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 1 Oct 2011 13:19:28 -0700 (PDT), jtpr wrote:

Thank. The top is concrete. The sparkle is from the ground up sea shells. The drawer handles are boat cleats.

The top is just painted with the sea shells mixed in?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Yeah, the color does not come across well in the pictures. It is actually a very deep red with a touch of black fleck. I think the camera flash alters it. It is a dye that is put in the concrete, not paint.

We live across the street from the water, so the windows maximize the view.

Jim
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 1 Oct 2011 20:09:26 -0700 (PDT), jtpr
wrote:

Yeah, the color does not come across well in the pictures. It is actually a very deep red with a touch of black fleck. I think the camera flash alters it. It is a dye that is put in the concrete, not paint.

The flash brought out either some mica flecks or white flecks, too.

We live across the street from the water, so the windows maximize the view.

Nice, brightly lit house.

--
It takes as much energy to wish as to plan.
--Eleanor Roosevelt

Posted to rec.woodworking

Those flecks are actually ground up sea shells. I went with concrete because it was the only thing I could get 2" thick without spending silly money. I just felt that the style of the carcass needed something thick on top. Anyway, that was more the brides decision then mine (as most things are).
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 2 Oct 2011 04:08:24 -0700 (PDT), jtpr
wrote:

Those flecks are actually ground up sea shells. I went with concrete
because it was the only thing I could get 2" thick without spending
silly money. I just felt that the style of the carcass needed something
thick on top. Anyway, that was more the brides decision then mine
(as most things are).

Oh, it's one of those homes where the hubby "I just work here."
Married life. I just don't understand it.

--
It takes as much energy to wish as to plan.
--Eleanor Roosevelt
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 2 Oct 2011 04:08:24 -0700 (PDT), jtpr wrote:

Those flecks are actually ground up sea shells. I went with concrete because it was the only thing I could get 2" thick without spending silly money. I just felt that the style of the carcass needed something thick on top. Anyway, that was more the brides decision then mine (as most things are).

I looks really nice, as is. I'd probably have done butcher block (though
1-3/4" is likely all I could get). Like you, my wife makes the decisions, but
only off a list of possibilities. Sometimes the list is short. ;-)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 1, 12:47 pm, jtpr wrote:

But I digress, this is about me;+} I finished my project and here it is,
open for all comments....

http://jtpryan.smugmug.com/Woodworki...4555892_Tk27gd

Thanks again for the guidance

Looks very nice. It is such a pleasure to see an island that is not a
particle board monstrosity. Clean lines. Nice wood. Quality kitchen
appliances. What is not to like?

Good job. Good on ya'.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 1, 12:47*pm, jtpr wrote:
Well, I asked a lot of questions here, and got a lot of help, for that I thank all. *Took me a loooooong time to get it done, but my son was good enough to give me an excuse along the way, he got run over by a semi truck on his bicycle. *He has made a full recovery after 6 months of excellent medical care not the least of which was given by my bride. *Yeah, I guess it's true you never stop worrying (he's 27).

But I digress, this is about me;+} I finished my project and here it is, open for all comments....

http://jtpryan.smugmug.com/Woodworki...4555892_Tk27gd

Thanks again for the guidance

Jim

I happen to really like the colour of the island top. Pay NO attention
to the old farts in here.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/3/11 7:36 AM, Robatoy wrote:
On Oct 1, 12:47 pm, wrote:
Well, I asked a lot of questions here, and got a lot of help, for that I thank all. Took me a loooooong time to get it done, but my son was good enough to give me an excuse along the way, he got run over by a semi truck on his bicycle. He has made a full recovery after 6 months of excellent medical care not the least of which was given by my bride. Yeah, I guess it's true you never stop worrying (he's 27).

But I digress, this is about me;+} I finished my project and here it is, open for all comments....

http://jtpryan.smugmug.com/Woodworki...4555892_Tk27gd

Thanks again for the guidance

Jim

I happen to really like the colour of the island top. Pay NO attention
to the old farts in here.

I want to do a concrete counter top when I rebuild our kitchen.
I might be pickin his brain a little.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 3, 12:23*pm, -MIKE- wrote:
On 10/3/11 7:36 AM, Robatoy wrote:

I happen to really like the colour of the island top. Pay NO attention
to the old farts in here.

I want to do a concrete counter top when I rebuild our kitchen.
I might be pickin his brain a little.

There's a designer/builder in SF by the name of Cheng that wrote an
excellent book on the topic.
http://www.concreteexchange.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 1, 9:47*am, jtpr wrote:
Well, I asked a lot of questions here, an...

Thanks again for the guidance

Jim

Bold choice on the top material and color. You get extra points for
that. Way better than any vanilla approach you could have used.

Question: Did you use floating tenons for the apron to leg joint? I
see pins in both sides of the joint. One of my gripes with floating
tenons is that unless you do pin both sides it does not have the same
mechanical integrity asa pinned traditional M&T joint.
Posted to rec.woodworking

see pins in both sides of the joint. One of my gripes with floating
tenons is that unless you do pin both sides it does not have the same
mechanical integrity asa pinned traditional M&T joint.

Cite please.

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 3, 1:38*pm, "SonomaProducts.com" wrote:
On Oct 1, 9:47*am, jtpr wrote:

Well, I asked a lot of questions here, an...

Thanks again for the guidance

Jim

Bold choice on the top material and color. You get extra points for
that. Way better than any vanilla approach you could have used.

Question: Did you use floating tenons for the apron to leg joint? I
see pins in both sides of the joint. One of my gripes with floating
tenons is that unless you do pin both sides it does not have the same
mechanical integrity asa pinned traditional M&T joint.

Shear strength of glue will be excellent for the apron-tenon
joints.

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On Oct 1, 9:47 am, wrote:
Well, I asked a lot of questions here, an...

Thanks again for the guidance

Jim

Bold choice on the top material and color. You get extra points for
that. Way better than any vanilla approach you could have used.

Question: Did you use floating tenons for the apron to leg joint? I
see pins in both sides of the joint. One of my gripes with floating
tenons is that unless you do pin both sides it does not have the same
mechanical integrity asa pinned traditional M&T joint.

I recall FWW did a mechanical destruction lab test(+) a number of years
ago. W/O looking it up, my recollection is that the difference was
essentially noise; it certainly wasn't any major difference.

(+) They manufactured various joints from simple lap to full M&T in
their shop and took them to a uni lab (I want to say Case Western) where
the loading tests/measurements were done in one of their labs. It was
pretty well done as opposed to some of the writer-submitted homebrew
setups that often lack either control or decent measurement techniques,
etc., ...

Posted to rec.woodworking

Cite please.

I should clarify that this is my OPINION.

Show me a test with 100 year old glue where the unpinned joints are
the same as the pinned joints on pull out, then we can have a
conversation. Just MY gripe.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Cite please.

I should clarify that this is my OPINION.

Show me a test with 100 year old glue where the unpinned joints are
the same as the pinned joints on pull out, then we can have a
conversation. Just MY gripe.

I suppose we'd all have to wait several decades to see when modern glues
would give out.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/3/2011 5:06 PM, dpb wrote:

see pins in both sides of the joint. One of my gripes with floating
tenons is that unless you do pin both sides it does not have the same
mechanical integrity asa pinned traditional M&T joint.

I recall FWW did a mechanical destruction lab test(+) a number of years
ago. W/O looking it up, my recollection is that the difference was
essentially noise; it certainly wasn't any major difference.

Exactly:

1. Half Lap = 1603 lbs to failure
2. Bridle = 1560 lbs
3. Splined Miter = 1498 lbs
4. 3/8" M&T = 1444 lbs
5. 3/8" Floating Tenon = 1396 lbs
6. Miter = 1374 lbs
7. 3/8" Wedged M&T = 1210 lbs
8. 3/8" Pinned M&T = 1162 lbs
9. 5/16" M&T = 988 lbs
10. Beadlock = 836 lbs
11. Dowelmax = 759 lbs
12. 1/4" M&T = 717 lbs
13. Pocket Screw = 698 lbs
14. Domino = 597 lbs
15. Biscuit = 545 lbs
16. Butt 473 lbs
17. Cope & Stick = 313 lbs
18. Stub Teneon = 200 lbs

(+) They manufactured various joints from simple lap to full M&T in
their shop and took them to a uni lab (I want to say Case Western) where
the loading tests/measurements were done in one of their labs. It was
pretty well done as opposed to some of the writer-submitted homebrew
setups that often lack either control or decent measurement techniques,
etc., ...

Answers, in advance, to the next previous statements made in support of
the contention:

Depending upon the grain direction of the traditional tenon, a floating
tenon can be stronger.

Pinning the M&T joint actually made for a weaker joint.

Wood, properly glued, tends to fail at the wood and not the glue surface.

No glued joint will not last "forever".

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

Forget the quality of the glue, it is not the only factor and the same
factor in each case.

Which method has the most contact surface for glue to do it's magic on?

-----------
"-MIKE-" wrote in message ...
I suppose we'd all have to wait several decades to see when modern
glues
would give out.

--

-DIKE-

Posted to rec.woodworking

"-MIKE-" wrote in message ...
I suppose we'd all have to wait several decades to see when modern glues
would give out.

--

-DIKE-

What grade are you in?

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/4/2011 9:11 AM, m II wrote:
Another good contribution from Mike.

Leave Mike alone and find something to do that needs doing...

---------------

"-MIKE-" wrote in message ...
I suppose we'd all have to wait several decades to see when modern glues
would give out.

--

-DIKE-

What grade are you in?

Posted to rec.woodworking

It's definitely a "tit for tat" thing, sock puppet.

Stop top posting.

-------------
Leave Mike alone and find something to do that needs doing...

Posted to rec.woodworking

jtpr wrote:
Well, I asked a lot of questions here, and got a lot of help, for
that I thank all. Took me a loooooong time to get it done, but my
son was good enough to give me an excuse along the way, he got run
over by a semi truck on his bicycle. He has made a full recovery
after 6 months of excellent medical care not the least of which was
given by my bride. Yeah, I guess it's true you never stop worrying
(he's 27).

The only thing left is to paint it white - to match the cabinets. And you're
done!

Finally RBnDFW Metalworking 25 October 11th 10 03:56 PM
O/T: Finally Lew Hodgett[_5_] Woodworking 30 April 20th 09 07:36 AM
finally got it up Grant Erwin Metalworking 17 August 19th 07 03:43 AM
I Finally Did It! Steve Russell Woodturning 7 November 14th 06 02:31 PM
Finally did it Charlie Self Woodworking 10 November 8th 05 05:07 PM