Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default I Finally Did It!

Hello to the group,

Well after more than ten years, I finally got a website up! :-) Please point
your browser to www.woodturningvideosplus.com and check it out. The site
will have lots of free articles and information, as more than 100 articles
are initially planned for inclusion in the site - as soon as we can get them
formatted and uploaded. :-0 There are several articles up now, including
popular articles like boiling, and bandsaw blade resharpening with lots more
coming. The website will also offer my latest research and testing results,
something woodturners have been asking me to provide for years. Now that we
have a site, it will be easy to maintain the reference database on the
website.

After the initial 100 articles are loaded, there are 200 more planned to be
added. We are also looking into adding streaming video the the site, so you
can read an article and click on the video links to further investigate the
specific topics. For example, if you're reading an article on sharpening and
you want to see how to make an Irish grind, you will be able to click on the
link embedded in the article and see it in streaming video.

We're having trouble optimising some of the pictures for the articles as
many of them were shot at very high resolution. When we have tried to
optimise these high-res images, they don't look too good. Anybody a web
photo Guru? I may have to re-shoot some of them, or get a better optimiser
program. The articles on the site now are mostly sans photo, but the photos
will be added ASAP when we can figure the optimisation protocols out.

BTW, you can now purchase my videos and ebooks online and we offer a secure
server to protect your credit card information. Please let me know what you
think about the site and feel free to offer any suggestions for improvement.
We want to make the site a valuable resource for woodturners around the
world, so watch out for the big plans we have coming! Thanks and all the
best to you and yours!
--

Better Woodturning and Finishing Through Chemistry...

Steven D. Russell
Eurowood Werks Woodturning Studio, The Woodlands, Texas
Machinery, Tool and Product Testing for the Woodworking and Woodturning
Industries

Website: www.woodturningvideosplus.com

³Woodturning with Steven D. Russell²
Volume #1 CD ROM e-Book * Available for Shipment
Volume #2 CD ROM e-Book/DVD Video * Available for Shipment
Volume #3 Double DVD Video on Bowl Turning * Available for Shipment

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Steve
I find Irfanview to be excellent in reducing pictures for the web. Say a
5Mpixel down to 800x600 or even thumbnail size. It is available as freeware
and an excellent program. It will work on one photo or batches at a time. I
find it is better on the web to hold thumbnails as separate pix than the
full size and not bother with the "width" and "height" stipulations in the
img coding (HTML). http://www.irfanview.com/

--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate
"Steve Russell" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Hello Darrell,

Thanks for the tip... I guess one of my questions is this: Is it better to
take a 8MP picture that you then optimise for the web, or start out with a
lower resolution like 2MP and then reduce it down to a smaller size for web
viewing?

I have lots of high-res images and when they are optimised, they don't turn
out as good as lower resolution shots that are optimised. Any ideas? I may
have to reshoot everything, or become a web photo guru... :-0 Thanks and all
the best to you and yours!

On 11/11/06 8:39 PM, in article 2Qv5h.1359$C94.407@edtnps82, "Darrell
Feltmate" wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

That depends on the software you are using. If it only "COMPRESSES" to
reduce the size start with two pictures one high res to pring and a low res
to publish to the web. How ever if you have real image software that can
"RESAMPLE" to reduce the size one HIGH res photo will do.
Resample the High res photo down in size save it as a lowres with a
different name and compress that to an optimum size that way you stil have
the original photo to print for yourself.
I use Corel Photo Paint to do just that for a number of commercial websites
I look after, another programme is Paintshop Pro. I believe that the free
programmes (like infranview) only compress but I could be wrong.

Feltmate" wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Opps Pring =Print
"Not for publication" wrote in message
That depends on the software you are using. If it only "COMPRESSES" to
reduce the size start with two pictures one high res to Print

Feltmate" wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Hello,

Thanks for the help and assistance. I will look into this! :-) Take care and
all the best to you and yours!

On 11/12/06 6:35 PM, in article
, "Not for publication"
wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Steve,

It's a great site, lots of information and I put it on my "favorites"
as there is way too much good stuff to read and see at one time. But
then, I knew your website would be like that!

Thanks,
Ruth
www.torne-lignum.com

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Hello Ruth,

Thanks for the kind words... :-) If you think there is a lot of info now,
just wait! I have over 100 articles that we are trying to get ready to
upload now, with 200 more coming soon after. We will also be adding lots of
free video, and a monthly newsletter has been added. See the homepage for
the "Lathe Talk" button. In addition, a gallery page will be built and a
huge section on how to market your woodturnings, from beginner to full time
pro. That's just for starters. Best wishes for a safe, healthy and happy
holiday season!

On 11/14/06 7:46 AM, in article
, "