Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Finally

On 10/8/2010 1:06 AM, Steve B wrote:

May make a hydraulic cherry type large boulder lift similar to an engine
puller to move some large rocks with my ATV.

Steve, I hope you'll post details.
I've been scratching my head about how to move a boulder next to my
carport. This one is about 4'x8'x1.5'.
Sure, I could run down and rent a forklift, but where's the fun in that?

--
I can see November from my front porch
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

RBnDFW wrote:

On 10/8/2010 1:06 AM, Steve B wrote:

May make a hydraulic cherry type large boulder lift similar to an engine
puller to move some large rocks with my ATV.

Steve, I hope you'll post details.
I've been scratching my head about how to move a boulder next to my
carport. This one is about 4'x8'x1.5'.
Sure, I could run down and rent a forklift, but where's the fun in that?

Rent a telehandler so you can drop said boulder from a significant
height onto something interesting. Shoot video of course...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Pete C." wrote:

RBnDFW wrote:

On 10/8/2010 1:06 AM, Steve B wrote:

May make a hydraulic cherry type large boulder lift similar to an engine
puller to move some large rocks with my ATV.

Steve, I hope you'll post details.
I've been scratching my head about how to move a boulder next to my
carport. This one is about 4'x8'x1.5'.
Sure, I could run down and rent a forklift, but where's the fun in that?

Rent a telehandler so you can drop said boulder from a significant
height onto something interesting. Shoot video of course...

Actually, the way to move that rock is pyramid builder style, with a few
modern additions. Use a couple hydraulic jacks to lift the rock enough
to get pipe rollers and cribbing under it, then just roll it along to
where it needs to go.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"RBnDFW" wrote in message
On 10/8/2010 1:06 AM, Steve B wrote:

May make a hydraulic cherry type large boulder lift similar to an engine
puller to move some large rocks with my ATV.

Steve, I hope you'll post details.
I've been scratching my head about how to move a boulder next to my
carport. This one is about 4'x8'x1.5'.
Sure, I could run down and rent a forklift, but where's the fun in that?

--
I can see November from my front porch

To me, there's two ways to go. An arm like an engine puller, or a horseshoe
lifting frame that has to be pulled over the stone. Trouble is that with
the horseshoe device, placement would be limited by the wheels. But then,
with the arm, the extension of the arm might be limited, but with either at
all times, the load should only just clear the deck. I have tons of rocks
that I'd like to move around. They grow here.

Steve

Heart surgery pending?
Read up and prepare.
Learn how to care for a friend.
http://cabgbypasssurgery.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Steve B wrote:
"RBnDFW" wrote in message

(...)

I've been scratching my head about how to move a boulder next to my
carport. This one is about 4'x8'x1.5'.
Sure, I could run down and rent a forklift, but where's the fun in that?

That is a good size rock. I'd be tempted to break it into little 1'
wide pebbles before anything else.

To me, there's two ways to go. An arm like an engine puller, or a horseshoe
lifting frame that has to be pulled over the stone. Trouble is that with
the horseshoe device, placement would be limited by the wheels. But then,
with the arm, the extension of the arm might be limited, but with either at
all times, the load should only just clear the deck. I have tons of rocks
that I'd like to move around. They grow here.

Tripod hoist?
http://www.beacontechnology.com/gant...podhoiststand/

--Winston

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 10/8/2010 10:54 AM, Winston wrote:
Steve B wrote:
"RBnDFW" wrote in message

(...)

I've been scratching my head about how to move a boulder next to my
carport. This one is about 4'x8'x1.5'.
Sure, I could run down and rent a forklift, but where's the fun in that?

That is a good size rock. I'd be tempted to break it into little 1' wide
pebbles before anything else.

NOooooO! It's a Fine Rock, it's just in an inconvenient spot.

To me, there's two ways to go. An arm like an engine puller, or a
horseshoe lifting frame that has to be pulled over the stone. Trouble
is that with the horseshoe device, placement would be limited by the
wheels. But then, with the arm, the extension of the arm might be
limited, but with either at all times, the load should only just clear
the deck. I have tons of rocks that I'd like to move around. They grow
here.

Tripod hoist?
http://www.beacontechnology.com/gant...podhoiststand/

If this one were not so long and thin that would make more sense.
It's sandstone, so would likely break if I try to single-point lift it.
It's actually elevated a small amount, and I can tunnel under it easily
to inset bars or straps. It's backed up to a tree at one end, and 18"
from the carport slab along one side. The other side is open to a dirt
parking area.
I probably need to measure it accurately and get a good estimate of
the weight. I think lifting it off the ground would be the easy part.
Moving it would be the challenge. Even if I had a trailer stout enough
to carry it, I don't think I could roll one under it, especially with
tripod legs to avoid.

I keep coming back to that forklift.
But... I do have a pallet jack. Is there any way to make an "off-road"
adaptation of that?

--
I can see November from my front porch
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

RBnDFW wrote:

If this one were not so long and thin that would make more sense.
It's sandstone, so would likely break if I try to single-point lift it.
It's actually elevated a small amount, and I can tunnel under it easily
to inset bars or straps. It's backed up to a tree at one end, and 18"
from the carport slab along one side. The other side is open to a dirt
parking area.
I probably need to measure it accurately and get a good estimate of
the weight. I think lifting it off the ground would be the easy part.
Moving it would be the challenge. Even if I had a trailer stout enough
to carry it, I don't think I could roll one under it, especially with
tripod legs to avoid.

I keep coming back to that forklift.
But... I do have a pallet jack. Is there any way to make an "off-road"
adaptation of that?

Yes, you build a temporary road for it, i.e. a couple overlapped layers
of 3/4" plywood. You may need to make rails of something like 2x12 with
1x2 cleats for the palette jack rollers to run on or they could crush
through the plywood if the load is heavy enough. If you do that, you may
be able to use some 2x4 ties instead of the plywood.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

RBnDFW wrote:

(...)

I probably need to measure it accurately and get a good estimate of
the weight.

~145 lb/cu. ft. for sandstone.
~7000 lbs?!

I think lifting it off the ground would be the easy part.
Moving it would be the challenge. Even if I had a trailer stout enough
to carry it, I don't think I could roll one under it, especially with
tripod legs to avoid.

Time to build a humongous offroad gantry crane!

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Winston wrote:

RBnDFW wrote:

(...)

I probably need to measure it accurately and get a good estimate of
the weight.

~145 lb/cu. ft. for sandstone.
~7000 lbs?!

Ok, so two palette jacks, one from each end (mine is rated 5,500#)

I think lifting it off the ground would be the easy part.
Moving it would be the challenge. Even if I had a trailer stout enough
to carry it, I don't think I could roll one under it, especially with
tripod legs to avoid.

Time to build a humongous offroad gantry crane!

Nah, two palette jacks, running on 2x12 rails with edge guide cleats,
use a standard winch to tug the whole mess along. Piece of cake

Need help?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 10/8/2010 12:36 PM, Pete C. wrote:

Winston wrote:

RBnDFW wrote:

(...)

I probably need to measure it accurately and get a good estimate of
the weight.

~145 lb/cu. ft. for sandstone.
~7000 lbs?!

Ok, so two palette jacks, one from each end (mine is rated 5,500#)

I think lifting it off the ground would be the easy part.
Moving it would be the challenge. Even if I had a trailer stout enough
to carry it, I don't think I could roll one under it, especially with
tripod legs to avoid.

Time to build a humongous offroad gantry crane!

Nah, two palette jacks, running on 2x12 rails with edge guide cleats,
use a standard winch to tug the whole mess along. Piece of cake

Need help?

Sure. Bring a pallet jack
Did I mention I'm on a hillside?
--
I can see November from my front porch

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

RBnDFW wrote:

On 10/8/2010 12:36 PM, Pete C. wrote:

Winston wrote:

RBnDFW wrote:

(...)

I probably need to measure it accurately and get a good estimate of
the weight.

~145 lb/cu. ft. for sandstone.
~7000 lbs?!

Ok, so two palette jacks, one from each end (mine is rated 5,500#)

I think lifting it off the ground would be the easy part.
Moving it would be the challenge. Even if I had a trailer stout enough
to carry it, I don't think I could roll one under it, especially with
tripod legs to avoid.

Time to build a humongous offroad gantry crane!

Nah, two palette jacks, running on 2x12 rails with edge guide cleats,
use a standard winch to tug the whole mess along. Piece of cake

Need help?

Sure. Bring a pallet jack
Did I mention I'm on a hillside?

Did I mention I have a 10,000# winch for the back of my F350?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 08 Oct 2010 10:18:01 -0500, "Pete C."
wrote:

"Pete C." wrote:

RBnDFW wrote:

On 10/8/2010 1:06 AM, Steve B wrote:

May make a hydraulic cherry type large boulder lift similar to an engine
puller to move some large rocks with my ATV.

Steve, I hope you'll post details.
I've been scratching my head about how to move a boulder next to my
carport. This one is about 4'x8'x1.5'.
Sure, I could run down and rent a forklift, but where's the fun in that?

Rent a telehandler so you can drop said boulder from a significant
height onto something interesting. Shoot video of course...

Actually, the way to move that rock is pyramid builder style, with a few
modern additions. Use a couple hydraulic jacks to lift the rock enough
to get pipe rollers and cribbing under it, then just roll it along to
where it needs to go.

The fun part is when he gets to excavating around it and finds out
that it's the other half of the 4x8x27' rock which was there before
the house went in.

--
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.
--Jack London
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

"Pete C." wrote:

RBnDFW wrote:

[...]

No, I've dug under it all the way through. No tip o' the iceberg here.

--
I can see November from my front porch
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 10/8/2010 1:12 PM, Pete C. wrote:

RBnDFW wrote:

On 10/8/2010 12:36 PM, Pete C. wrote:

Winston wrote:

RBnDFW wrote:

(...)

I probably need to measure it accurately and get a good estimate of
the weight.

~145 lb/cu. ft. for sandstone.
~7000 lbs?!

Ok, so two palette jacks, one from each end (mine is rated 5,500#)

I think lifting it off the ground would be the easy part.
Moving it would be the challenge. Even if I had a trailer stout enough
to carry it, I don't think I could roll one under it, especially with
tripod legs to avoid.

Time to build a humongous offroad gantry crane!

Nah, two palette jacks, running on 2x12 rails with edge guide cleats,
use a standard winch to tug the whole mess along. Piece of cake

Need help?

Sure. Bring a pallet jack
Did I mention I'm on a hillside?

Did I mention I have a 10,000# winch for the back of my F350?

Ooooh! My kinda guy!

Not sure how a winch would be employed here.

I've hooked up to this thing twice just to see if I could drag it.
First time was with a 1994 F150 4X4. nope
2nd time was with a 1996 F350 2WD. nope
Maybe with a ton of rocks in the back? Rocks I've got.

--
I can see November from my front porch
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

RBnDFW wrote:

On 10/8/2010 12:36 PM, Pete C. wrote:

Winston wrote:

RBnDFW wrote:

(...)

[...]

1. Get rock elevated
2. Build 2x railway to run palette jacks on
3. Get custom long palette under it
4. Get two palette jacks on railway and under palette
5. Secure two palette jacks so they can't come out i.e. 2" cargo straps
down both sides
6. Position truck (F350 diesel 4x4 DRW) with winch appropriately to pull
rock/palette jack combo along railway

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

RBnDFW wrote:

On 10/8/2010 12:36 PM, Pete C. wrote:

Winston wrote:

RBnDFW wrote:

(...)

[...]

There was a pallet jack on the local CL last week that had 8-ft forks.
Gone now, of course.

How about your winch and a ginpole setup.
Lift rock, set it in my truck.
Drive to front yard.
Lift out of my truck onto ground.

Yeah, I know

--
I can see November from my front porch
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

RBnDFW wrote:

On 10/8/2010 12:36 PM, Pete C. wrote:

Winston wrote:

RBnDFW wrote:

(...)

[...]

Put a 7,000# rock in your truck eh? Must be a big truck...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Drill holes, and put in blasting powder?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"RBnDFW" wrote in message
On 10/8/2010 1:06 AM, Steve B wrote:

May make a hydraulic cherry type large boulder lift similar to an
engine
puller to move some large rocks with my ATV.

Steve, I hope you'll post details.
I've been scratching my head about how to move a boulder next to my
carport. This one is about 4'x8'x1.5'.
Sure, I could run down and rent a forklift, but where's the fun in
that?

--
I can see November from my front porch

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

It's a matter of time before someone mentions male anatomy.

And so.... Several years ago, I was chatting with a woman. She was
saying how her boyfriend brags about having a "really big one". I
asked if Mr. Really Big One had a job? And she about fell over,
laughing so hard.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Pete C." wrote in message
ster.com...

Sure. Bring a pallet jack
Did I mention I'm on a hillside?

Did I mention I have a 10,000# winch for the back of my F350?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I've been scratching my head about how to move a boulder next to my
carport. This one is about 4'x8'x1.5'.
Sure, I could run down and rent a forklift, but where's the fun in that?

I had to move a rock about twice the size of a garbage can. I backed my ATV
trailer to it. I lifted the trailer vertical and strapped the rock right on
the ass end. I chained to the end of the tongue, and somewhat comically but
successfully got it to where I wanted it all by myself. A little leverage
and knowledge of rigging can be both impressive and scary at times.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I keep coming back to that forklift.

If you have hard ground for the forklift, you should be able to dig or
excavate by hose tunnels under the rock, rig two basket slings, and do it
that way.

If I had to absolutely do it myself, I'd build a trailer with rails at a 160
angle, or thereabouts that could be stabbed under the rock, then a long
tongue to apply leverage and lift the rock at two supporting points.

I had actually thought of that after I moved that one rock with my ATV
trailer. Making it a leverage thing where you backed up to the rock, hooked
up to it, used the leverage of a long tongue and short boom to lift the rock
just until it cleared the deck.

I'd like to jot down some of the ideas I have one of these days, and post to
flickr for comments.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Stormin Mormon wrote:

Drill holes, and put in blasting powder?

Tell cliffie that all the evidence of WMDs in Iraq is buried under
theat rock and stand back? He'll do his best to destroy both.

enough left over to pay them.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Pete C." wrote:
RBnDFW wrote:
[...]

So, get a rock drill, some feathers and wedges, and break it into pavers
and build a patio.

Or, just redesign the landscaping, and make it part of the ambiance. ;-)

Good Luck!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

You get the award of the day, for the best idea.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message

Stormin Mormon wrote:

Drill holes, and put in blasting powder?

Tell cliffie that all the evidence of WMDs in Iraq is buried under
theat rock and stand back? He'll do his best to destroy both.

--
Politicians should only get paid if the budget is balanced, and there
is

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

RBnDFW wrote:

On 10/8/2010 12:36 PM, Pete C. wrote:

Winston wrote:

RBnDFW wrote:

(...)

[...]

Not that big.
It handles 3800 lbs like it was nothing.

--
I can see November from my front porch

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 10/8/2010 4:25 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
It's a matter of time before someone mentions male anatomy.

And so.... Several years ago, I was chatting with a woman. She was
saying how her boyfriend brags about having a "really big one". I
asked if Mr. Really Big One had a job? And she about fell over,
laughing so hard.

I could probably break this one down with my sledge hammer.
But it's a nice rock, inconveniently located. I want to move it whole.

--
I can see November from my front porch