Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RBnDFW RBnDFW is offline

Default Finally

On 10/8/2010 4:18 PM, Pete C. wrote:

RBnDFW wrote:

On 10/8/2010 3:47 PM, Pete C. wrote:

RBnDFW wrote:

On 10/8/2010 1:12 PM, Pete C. wrote:

RBnDFW wrote:

On 10/8/2010 12:36 PM, Pete C. wrote:

Winston wrote:

RBnDFW wrote:

(...)

I probably need to measure it accurately and get a good estimate of
the weight.

~145 lb/cu. ft. for sandstone.
~7000 lbs?!

Ok, so two palette jacks, one from each end (mine is rated 5,500#)

I think lifting it off the ground would be the easy part.
Moving it would be the challenge. Even if I had a trailer stout enough
to carry it, I don't think I could roll one under it, especially with
tripod legs to avoid.

Time to build a humongous offroad gantry crane!

Nah, two palette jacks, running on 2x12 rails with edge guide cleats,
use a standard winch to tug the whole mess along. Piece of cake

Need help?

Sure. Bring a pallet jack
Did I mention I'm on a hillside?

Did I mention I have a 10,000# winch for the back of my F350?

Ooooh! My kinda guy!

Not sure how a winch would be employed here.

I've hooked up to this thing twice just to see if I could drag it.
First time was with a 1994 F150 4X4. nope
2nd time was with a 1996 F350 2WD. nope
Maybe with a ton of rocks in the back? Rocks I've got.

1. Get rock elevated
2. Build 2x railway to run palette jacks on
3. Get custom long palette under it
4. Get two palette jacks on railway and under palette
5. Secure two palette jacks so they can't come out i.e. 2" cargo straps
down both sides
6. Position truck (F350 diesel 4x4 DRW) with winch appropriately to pull
rock/palette jack combo along railway

There was a pallet jack on the local CL last week that had 8-ft forks.
Gone now, of course.

How about your winch and a ginpole setup.
Lift rock, set it in my truck.
Drive to front yard.
Lift out of my truck onto ground.

Yeah, I know

Put a 7,000# rock in your truck eh? Must be a big truck...

Not that big.
It handles 3800 lbs like it was nothing.

--
I can see November from my front porch