Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RBnDFW RBnDFW is offline

Default Finally

On 10/8/2010 10:54 AM, Winston wrote:
Steve B wrote:
"RBnDFW" wrote in message

(...)

I've been scratching my head about how to move a boulder next to my
carport. This one is about 4'x8'x1.5'.
Sure, I could run down and rent a forklift, but where's the fun in that?

That is a good size rock. I'd be tempted to break it into little 1' wide
pebbles before anything else.

NOooooO! It's a Fine Rock, it's just in an inconvenient spot.

To me, there's two ways to go. An arm like an engine puller, or a
horseshoe lifting frame that has to be pulled over the stone. Trouble
is that with the horseshoe device, placement would be limited by the
wheels. But then, with the arm, the extension of the arm might be
limited, but with either at all times, the load should only just clear
the deck. I have tons of rocks that I'd like to move around. They grow
here.

Tripod hoist?
http://www.beacontechnology.com/gant...podhoiststand/

If this one were not so long and thin that would make more sense.
It's sandstone, so would likely break if I try to single-point lift it.
It's actually elevated a small amount, and I can tunnel under it easily
to inset bars or straps. It's backed up to a tree at one end, and 18"
from the carport slab along one side. The other side is open to a dirt
parking area.
I probably need to measure it accurately and get a good estimate of
the weight. I think lifting it off the ground would be the easy part.
Moving it would be the challenge. Even if I had a trailer stout enough
to carry it, I don't think I could roll one under it, especially with
tripod legs to avoid.

I keep coming back to that forklift.
But... I do have a pallet jack. Is there any way to make an "off-road"
adaptation of that?

--
I can see November from my front porch