Posted to rec.woodworking

Default simple, cheap lumber rack

OK.. been toiling with this for years.

The other day, in Lowes, I spot 12" x 14" L-bracket shelf supports
rated at 100 lbs. So I figure 4 of those mounted to a 2x4, mounted to
my shop wall studs and spaced 12" vertically apart or so and that
should be adequate. I ran some calcs based on wood density and a
stack of 12" oak that is 10" wide would average out to less than 100#
per support.

oak 50#/cuft
50 x 8' x 12" x 10" / 4 supports = 83 # / support

What am I missing?

Mount several sets of 4 in-a-row and walla -- instanct lumber rack for
$2 a support ($8 per row)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/8/2011 6:14 PM, kansascats wrote:
OK.. been toiling with this for years.

The other day, in Lowes, I spot 12" x 14" L-bracket shelf supports
rated at 100 lbs. So I figure 4 of those mounted to a 2x4, mounted to
my shop wall studs and spaced 12" vertically apart or so and that
should be adequate. I ran some calcs based on wood density and a
stack of 12" oak that is 10" wide would average out to less than 100#
per support.

oak 50#/cuft
50 x 8' x 12" x 10" / 4 supports = 83 # / support

What am I missing?

Mount several sets of 4 in-a-row and walla -- instanct lumber rack for
$2 a support ($8 per row)

What are you missing? Some one leaning on the rack and it all coming
down. IMHO you want to be rated for at least double the load.
Also, 4 rows? Loading 320# on eack stud??? I would suggest free
standing on the floor 2x6 and anchored to the wall at the top to prevent
it falling.

http://www.grizzly.com/outlet/12-Woo...et-Pair-/H2535

http://cdn0.grizzly.com/manuals/h2535_m.pdf

The above 12" brackets support 300# each. That is what I use.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Mount several sets of 4 in-a-row and walla

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/voila
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, September 8, 2011 4:14:15 PM UTC-7, kansascats wrote:
OK.. been toiling with this for years.

The other day, in Lowes, I spot 12" x 14" L-bracket shelf supports
rated at 100 lbs.

Firstly, to keep boards straight, stickering at about every 18" is
recommended: that suggests you'll want to have five+ supports
under a stack of (for instance) 8' boards.

Secondly, this is steel, right? So if there's any condensation, it
makes rust stains or maybe black marks (in oak).

Third, it's possibly expensive. It's odd how a wire shelf
system has inexpensive shelves, and all the other parts are
stratospheric in price, completely dominating the total cost.

Last, the L-brackets I'm familiar with need screws to hold 'em up;
even if the bracket holds 100#, what is the reliability of a screw
or three? I'm in earthquake territory, it'd be a comfort to see
lots of wood/wood surface contact, like a mortise or through
tenons, holding the load. You can make a pretty good L
bracket with 1x2 ribs and a glued-in triangle of plywood for the web.
Posted to rec.woodworking

kansascats wrote:

OK.. been toiling with this for years.

snip
---------------------------------------

Remember KISS?

Try it.

http://tinyurl.com/3vc6vm2

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

Theodore Edward Stosterone wrote:
Mount several sets of 4 in-a-row and walla

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/voila

Thank you. Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank
you.

I want to barf everytime I see "walla".

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to rec.woodworking

The (almost) best laid plans: A lumber rack story: During the
remodel of my shop (burned rent house), I dedicated one bedroom for
lumber storage. Built racks with 2X4s on edge, with vertical supports
about 3' apart. http://www.flickr.com/photos/4383614...in/photostream

No doubt the racks would support most of the lumber I have.....
including quite a few hurricane-downed trees I had milled. Under the
racks, on the floor, I stored small 8" -12" diameter logs (to be used
for stair construction, later). With the racks about 2/3 filled, some
of the floor joists, of the room, failed. I had to get under the
house, jack up the flooring, add pillars and more 4X6 beam support. I,
also, scabbed sleepers along the broken joists. It could have been
worse.

Sonny

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/9/2011 6:13 AM, dadiOH wrote:
Theodore Edward Stosterone wrote:
Mount several sets of 4 in-a-row and walla

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/voila

Thank you. Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank
you.

I want to barf everytime I see "walla".

Viola!

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 9 Sep 2011 07:13:15 -0400, "dadiOH"
wrote:

Theodore Edward Stosterone wrote:
Mount several sets of 4 in-a-row and walla

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/voila

Thank you. Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank
you.

I want to barf everytime I see "walla".

+1.

Add "try and", "there's many", "a myriad of" (vs "myriad"), "where you
AT", and dozens more. Since I gave up TV, I don't hear all of these
nearly as often as I used to. 'Twas a double blessing. I can't bear
to listen to broadcast radio or watch broadcast tv any more because of
the assinine commercials and bozo speech. No wonder the rest of the
world looks down on us, if we allow that crap to fester to such a wide
extent.

--
The problem with borrowing money from China is
that thirty minutes later, you feel broke again.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 09 Sep 2011 08:14:32 -0500, Swingman wrote:

On 9/9/2011 6:13 AM, dadiOH wrote:
Theodore Edward Stosterone wrote:
Mount several sets of 4 in-a-row and walla

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/voila

Thank you. Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank
you.

I want to barf everytime I see "walla".

Viola!

Closer, Mr. Musician! It's "Voilą!", with Alt+0224 (grave accent)

--
The problem with borrowing money from China is
that thirty minutes later, you feel broke again.
--Steve Bridges as Obama

Posted to rec.woodworking

Add "try and", "there's many", "a myriad of" (vs "myriad"), "where you
AT", and dozens more.

"Number 1 doctor recommended....."

-Zz
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/9/2011 9:07 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Fri, 09 Sep 2011 08:14:32 -0500, wrote:

On 9/9/2011 6:13 AM, dadiOH wrote:
Theodore Edward Stosterone wrote:
Mount several sets of 4 in-a-row and walla

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/voila

Thank you. Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank
you.

I want to barf everytime I see "walla".

Viola!

Closer, Mr. Musician! It's "Voilą!", with Alt+0224 (grave accent)

Tsk tsk ... where's your sense of cacography this morning, C-Less?

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/9/2011 6:13 AM, dadiOH wrote:
Theodore Edward Stosterone wrote:
Mount several sets of 4 in-a-row and walla

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/voila

Thank you. Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank
you.

I want to barf everytime I see "walla".

I think he was referring to a happiness term when complete.

When completed he would be as happy as pigs walla'n in mud.

Posted to rec.woodworking

http://www.lowes.com/pd_10200-46882-...ack&facetInfo=

I'm looking to get a few dozen boards off the ground -- easily sort-
able. These brackets are only 10" (12 if you flip them -- or 14" if
you buy the 12x14 version) wide. So this is single stack of
material. Most of my hardwood is 8" wide. I also need a place to
stack 2x material. Again, the individual stacks are only going to be
10-12" high. So figure 8' x 10" wide x 10" high and you get 5.56 cu
ft. I'm using 50 lbs per cubic feet which is very much on the high
end, oak is more like 40. But at 50, that's 275 total. Now divide
by 4 and you get 69# per support. NOW -- that's FULLY loaded, which
is VERY UNLIKELY. So worse case I have 69# on a 100# rated shelf, but
in more realistic terms, it's going to be 50# or even less. True --
if someone comes in and leans on the shelf, that could spell trouble,
but again, that's very unlikely. The point is -- I'm spacing the
brackets close together because I don't want to rummage through 20
boards. I only want 10 or so boards on each shelf max.

The brackets are painted (powder coated?) material so wood staining
should be minimal. I would screw the shelf brackets to a 2x4, and
then bolt the 2x4 to the wall studs, but also resting on the floor.
Most of the weight will be transferred to the floor.

The advantage is that very little space is consumed. 1.5" for 2x4,
and the 10, 12, or 14" of the bracket. So it fits snugly against the
wall. I have a 24' x 24' shop, and again, don't often store large
quantities of lumber. I'd probably have a shelf row for oak, one for
maple, maybe one for walnut, and then a couple for the 2x stuff. I'd
like to leave 50" clear underneath for 10 sheets of plywood I bought
on-sale years ago. Yeah -- I know -- store flat -- but that's not
much of an option in a shop my size. Then again, with the money I
save on heating and cooling, I can just go buy new flat wood if I
really need.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Yeah, and a login page is not KISS.

On Sep 9, 2:01*am, "Lew Hodgett" wrote:
kansascats wrote:
OK.. been toiling with this for years.

snip
---------------------------------------

Remember KISS?

Try it.

*http://tinyurl.com/3vc6vm2

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

That is a beefy solution. But I'm just looking to hold a stack of
maybe 10" high x 8" wide hardwoods -or- 10" high x 10" wide 2x
materials. Even their photo shows the rack 80% unused. For that,
the cheap brackets are plenty strong. That's my point -- I only ever
want to put at-most 10" of material on them -- because I don't want to
sort through 20 boards. With that in mind, each bracket only needs
to support 50# or so.

This is for dried lumber. Green would be a different story.. though
I could sticker this rack system and probabley keep similar densities
as dried.

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/wo...sity-d_40.html

On Sep 8, 6:58*pm, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:
[...]

The above 12" brackets support 300# each. *That is what I use.- Hide quoted text -

Posted to rec.woodworking

snip
'Twas a double blessing. I can't bear
to listen to broadcast radio or watch broadcast tv any more because of
the assinine commercials and bozo speech. No wonder the rest of the
world looks down on us, if we allow that crap to fester to such a wide
extent.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dicti...0&t=1315583217

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 09 Sep 2011 09:20:59 -0500, Swingman wrote:

On 9/9/2011 9:07 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Fri, 09 Sep 2011 08:14:32 -0500, wrote:

On 9/9/2011 6:13 AM, dadiOH wrote:
Theodore Edward Stosterone wrote:
Mount several sets of 4 in-a-row and walla

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/voila

Thank you. Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank
you.

I want to barf everytime I see "walla".

Viola!

Closer, Mr. Musician! It's "Voilą!", with Alt+0224 (grave accent)

Tsk tsk ... where's your sense of cacography this morning, C-Less?

Caca what? I reacted, then realized you were 'making a funny', then
sent it anyway, in order that the unwashed masses to incorporate said
wisdom into their daily lives. A "Hail Mary"? You bet.

Note to those who know no Spanglish: "caca" is "poop" in Espańol.

--
The problem with borrowing money from China is
that thirty minutes later, you feel broke again.
--Steve Bridges as Obama
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 9 Sep 2011 16:49:33 +0100, "Nick" wrote:

snip
'Twas a double blessing. I can't bear
to listen to broadcast radio or watch broadcast tv any more because of
the assinine commercials and bozo speech. No wonder the rest of the
world looks down on us, if we allow that crap to fester to such a wide
extent.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dicti...0&t=1315583217

Bbbut, two esses feeeeeeeeeeeel better.

Mizpelung noted, will assimilate.

--
The problem with borrowing money from China is
that thirty minutes later, you feel broke again.
--Steve Bridges as Obama

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 09 Sep 2011 09:30:46 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 9/9/2011 6:13 AM, dadiOH wrote:
Theodore Edward Stosterone wrote:
Mount several sets of 4 in-a-row and walla

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/voila

Thank you. Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank
you.

I want to barf everytime I see "walla".

I think he was referring to a happiness term when complete.

When completed he would be as happy as pigs walla'n in mud.

sigh Only from a Texan (or other suthuhnah)...

P.S: I thought that was "wallerin'".

--
The problem with borrowing money from China is
that thirty minutes later, you feel broke again.
--Steve Bridges as Obama
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/9/2011 10:47 AM, kansascats wrote:
That is a beefy solution. But I'm just looking to hold a stack of
maybe 10" high x 8" wide hardwoods -or- 10" high x 10" wide 2x
materials. Even their photo shows the rack 80% unused. For that,
the cheap brackets are plenty strong. That's my point -- I only ever
want to put at-most 10" of material on them -- because I don't want to
sort through 20 boards. With that in mind, each bracket only needs
to support 50# or so.

To load a 100# bracket with 8e# is an accident waiting to happen.

83 # is the number you provided.
oak 50#/cuft
50 x 8' x 12" x 10" / 4 supports = 83 # / support

50# would be safer.

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

kansascats wrote:
dadiOH -- grap a bucket

walla walla walla walla walla walla walla walla
walla walla walla walla walla walla walla walla
walla walla walla walla walla walla walla walla
walla walla walla walla walla walla walla walla
walla walla walla walla walla walla walla walla

You're from Washington? Or, if you prefer, your from Washington?

And does grapping a bucket have anything to do with grappling hooks?

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 9/9/2011 12:14 PM, Leon wrote:
On 9/9/2011 10:47 AM, kansascats wrote:
That is a beefy solution. But I'm just looking to hold a stack of
maybe 10" high x 8" wide hardwoods -or- 10" high x 10" wide 2x
materials. Even their photo shows the rack 80% unused. For that,
the cheap brackets are plenty strong. That's my point -- I only ever
want to put at-most 10" of material on them -- because I don't want to
sort through 20 boards. With that in mind, each bracket only needs
to support 50# or so.

To load a 100# bracket with 8e# is an accident waiting to happen.

83 # is the number you provided.
oak 50#/cuft
50 x 8' x 12" x 10" / 4 supports = 83 # / support

50# would be safer.

So would 20 be even safer...

The 80lb is assuming a very high density for domestic hardwoods and also
a 100% loading w/ a 100% packing factor. It just ain't agonna' happen
in reality.

Folks getting awfully carried away here--the worst that happens anyway
is he spills a few boards on the floor he gets to pick up and put away
again.

Overhead storage or a structural issue, sure, but to stick a few boards
on the wall he'll be fine as long as ensures their mounted securely.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/9/2011 12:36 PM, dpb wrote:
On 9/9/2011 12:14 PM, Leon wrote:
[...]

Or a 30# child pulls up on the boards and they come falling down on him
or her.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Theodore Edward Stosterone wrote:
Mount several sets of 4 in-a-row and walla

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/voila

Thank you. Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank
you.

I want to barf everytime I see "walla".

+1.

Add "try and", "there's many", "a myriad of" (vs "myriad"), "where you
AT", and dozens more. Since I gave up TV, I don't hear all of these
nearly as often as I used to. 'Twas a double blessing. I can't bear
to listen to broadcast radio or watch broadcast tv any more because of
the assinine commercials and bozo speech. No wonder the rest of the
world looks down on us, if we allow that crap to fester to such a wide
extent.

I'm hearing more and more interviewees starting their sentences with
"So..." when answering a question. Drives me to distraction, it does!
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Fri, 09 Sep 2011 09:20:59 -0500, Swingman wrote:

On 9/9/2011 9:07 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Fri, 09 Sep 2011 08:14:32 -0500, wrote:

On 9/9/2011 6:13 AM, dadiOH wrote:
Theodore Edward Stosterone wrote:
Mount several sets of 4 in-a-row and walla

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/voila

Thank you. Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank
you.

I want to barf everytime I see "walla".

Viola!

Closer, Mr. Musician! It's "Voilą!", with Alt+0224 (grave accent)

Tsk tsk ... where's your sense of cacography this morning, C-Less?

Caca what? I reacted, then realized you were 'making a funny', then
sent it anyway, in order that the unwashed masses to incorporate said
wisdom into their daily lives. A "Hail Mary"? You bet.

Note to those who know no Spanglish: "caca" is "poop" in Espańol.

Close. Caca is the vulgar "****".
Art

Posted to rec.woodworking

"dadiOH" wrote in message ...
kansascats wrote:
dadiOH -- grap a bucket

walla walla walla walla walla walla walla walla
walla walla walla walla walla walla walla walla
walla walla walla walla walla walla walla walla
walla walla walla walla walla walla walla walla
walla walla walla walla walla walla walla walla

You're from Washington? Or, if you prefer, your from Washington?

And does grapping a bucket have anything to do with grappling hooks?

Or grapping in a bucket?
Art

Posted to rec.woodworking

"dadiOH" wrote in message ...
Theodore Edward Stosterone wrote:
Mount several sets of 4 in-a-row and walla

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/voila

Thank you. Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank
you.

I want to barf everytime I see "walla".

It's one of the reasons I can't stand the 24 hour (so called) news networks.
Art

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 9/9/2011 1:26 PM, Leon wrote:
On 9/9/2011 12:36 PM, dpb wrote:
On 9/9/2011 12:14 PM, Leon wrote:
[...]

That'll learn 'em not to do that...joking, just in case net nannies are
watching

But, for at least more real, what's an unattended child of that size
doing in the shop to begin with? There's undoubtedly far more dangerous
than this will be there.

But, undoubtedly the 100-lb rating of the brackets has a pretty good
safety margin in it as well--it certainly won't actually fail under a
100-lb distributed load.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Exactly. And my guess is the 100# rated bracket probably can hold
120# or better.

The point is to get a few doz boards off the floor.

I wish I had the problem of storing a few hundred board feet of
hardwood :-(

On Sep 9, 12:36*pm, dpb wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On 9/9/2011 6:13 AM, dadiOH wrote:
Theodore Edward Stosterone wrote:
Mount several sets of 4 in-a-row and walla

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/voila

Thank you. Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank
you, thank you.

I want to barf everytime I see "walla".

Viola!

Closer, Mr. Musician! It's "Voilą!", with Alt+0224 (grave accent)

Tsk tsk ... where's your sense of cacography this morning, C-Less?

Caca what? I reacted, then realized you were 'making a funny', then
sent it anyway, in order that the unwashed masses to incorporate said
wisdom into their daily lives. A "Hail Mary"? You bet.

Note to those who know no Spanglish: "caca" is "poop" in Espańol.

Close. Caca is the vulgar "****".

High class folks say "mierda". As in, "vete a mierda"

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/9/2011 3:34 PM, Artemus wrote:
"Larry wrote in message
On Fri, 09 Sep 2011 09:20:59 -0500, wrote:

On 9/9/2011 9:07 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Fri, 09 Sep 2011 08:14:32 -0500, wrote:

On 9/9/2011 6:13 AM, dadiOH wrote:
Theodore Edward Stosterone wrote:
Mount several sets of 4 in-a-row and walla

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/voila

Thank you. Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank
you.

I want to barf everytime I see "walla".

Viola!

Closer, Mr. Musician! It's "Voilą!", with Alt+0224 (grave accent)

Tsk tsk ... where's your sense of cacography this morning, C-Less?

Caca what? I reacted, then realized you were 'making a funny', then
sent it anyway, in order that the unwashed masses to incorporate said
wisdom into their daily lives. A "Hail Mary"? You bet.

Note to those who know no Spanglish: "caca" is "poop" in Espańol.

Close. Caca is the vulgar "****".

Spanish for "****" is "mierda".

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/9/2011 3:13 PM, kansascats wrote:
Exactly. And my guess is the 100# rated bracket probably can hold
120# or better.

Cant say you were not warned..

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Larry wrote in message
[...]

But heard commonly by those that actually speak the language is,

No bueno por caca.

Posted to rec.woodworking

I'm hearing more and more interviewees starting their sentences with
"So..." when answering a question. Drives me to distraction, it does!

Or the word utilize, you can use the word "use" in every instance that
you would use utilize.

And functionality.... I don't recall ever hearing that word until recently.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Larry wrote in message
[...]

Si. Y cabeza de caca. (**** head)
Art

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 9/9/2011 3:13 PM, kansascats wrote:
Exactly. And my guess is the 100# rated bracket probably can hold
120# or better.

The point is to get a few doz boards off the floor.

I wish I had the problem of storing a few hundred board feet of
hardwood :-(

I'd venture probably even more to actual failure--but, of course, it
would be easy enough to take one and test it to confirm.

Distribute the load or maybe use another one or two and go on...Leon is
just being cantankerous apparently for lack of anything better to do.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 8 Sep 2011 16:14:15 -0700 (PDT), kansascats
wrote:

OK.. been toiling with this for years.

What am I missing?

I bet the weak link is the wall anchorage. Screws pulling out, screws
missing studs, that kinna' stuff.

Jes' sayin'....

-Zz
Posted to rec.woodworking

"kansascats" wrote in message
The advantage is that very little space is consumed. 1.5" for 2x4,
and the 10, 12, or 14" of the bracket. So it fits snugly against the
wall. I have a 24' x 24' shop, and again, don't often store large
quantities of lumber. I'd probably have a shelf row for oak, one for
maple, maybe one for walnut, and then a couple for the 2x stuff. I'd
like to leave 50" clear underneath for 10 sheets of plywood I bought
on-sale years ago. Yeah -- I know -- store flat -- but that's not
much of an option in a shop my size. Then again, with the money I
save on heating and cooling, I can just go buy new flat wood if I
really need.

================
Those brackets are not worth much. They tend to suddenly let go and
bend/collapse with continuous weight on them. They will not hold
the weights they state for very long. I have had tools and other
heavy items fall right off the shelves using them every 16".

Get some 2x4s and cut a horizontal shelf, fasten on top of a vertical
wall plate 2x4 and miter a 45 degree rib at turned on it's edge. Good
quickie project for your miter saw. Fasten all with some deck screws
and place one about every 16" - 2 feet, depending on your lumber
stiffness, length and how deep you want the horizontal support and
your stud spacing underneath them to support them.

Give a quick sand and prime/paint if you want them to look pretty.

--

Eric

Cheap lumber rack Limp Arbor Woodworking 8 February 23rd 10 04:15 AM
Lumber Storage Rack Lew Hodgett[_6_] Woodworking 20 November 22nd 09 06:23 PM
Lumber Rack Frank Woodworking 10 July 18th 06 07:21 PM
How strong does a lumber rack have to be? Toller Woodworking 9 November 2nd 05 12:19 PM
What would be your perfect lumber rack? Fred Woodworking 9 September 28th 05 04:11 AM