Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default simple, cheap lumber rack

On 9/9/2011 1:26 PM, Leon wrote:
On 9/9/2011 12:36 PM, dpb wrote:
On 9/9/2011 12:14 PM, Leon wrote:
On 9/9/2011 10:47 AM, kansascats wrote:
That is a beefy solution. But I'm just looking to hold a stack of
maybe 10" high x 8" wide hardwoods -or- 10" high x 10" wide 2x
materials. Even their photo shows the rack 80% unused. For that,
the cheap brackets are plenty strong. That's my point -- I only ever
want to put at-most 10" of material on them -- because I don't want to
sort through 20 boards. With that in mind, each bracket only needs
to support 50# or so.

To load a 100# bracket with 8e# is an accident waiting to happen.

83 # is the number you provided.
oak 50#/cuft
50 x 8' x 12" x 10" / 4 supports = 83 # / support

50# would be safer.

So would 20 be even safer...

The 80lb is assuming a very high density for domestic hardwoods and also
a 100% loading w/ a 100% packing factor. It just ain't agonna' happen in
reality.

Folks getting awfully carried away here--the worst that happens anyway
is he spills a few boards on the floor he gets to pick up and put away
again.

Or a 30# child pulls up on the boards and they come falling down on him
or her.

That'll learn 'em not to do that...joking, just in case net nannies are
watching

But, for at least more real, what's an unattended child of that size
doing in the shop to begin with? There's undoubtedly far more dangerous
than this will be there.

But, undoubtedly the 100-lb rating of the brackets has a pretty good
safety margin in it as well--it certainly won't actually fail under a
100-lb distributed load.