Posted to rec.woodworking
kansascats kansascats is offline

Default simple, cheap lumber rack

http://www.lowes.com/pd_10200-46882-...ack&facetInfo=

I'm looking to get a few dozen boards off the ground -- easily sort-
able. These brackets are only 10" (12 if you flip them -- or 14" if
you buy the 12x14 version) wide. So this is single stack of
material. Most of my hardwood is 8" wide. I also need a place to
stack 2x material. Again, the individual stacks are only going to be
10-12" high. So figure 8' x 10" wide x 10" high and you get 5.56 cu
ft. I'm using 50 lbs per cubic feet which is very much on the high
end, oak is more like 40. But at 50, that's 275 total. Now divide
by 4 and you get 69# per support. NOW -- that's FULLY loaded, which
is VERY UNLIKELY. So worse case I have 69# on a 100# rated shelf, but
in more realistic terms, it's going to be 50# or even less. True --
if someone comes in and leans on the shelf, that could spell trouble,
but again, that's very unlikely. The point is -- I'm spacing the
brackets close together because I don't want to rummage through 20
boards. I only want 10 or so boards on each shelf max.

The brackets are painted (powder coated?) material so wood staining
should be minimal. I would screw the shelf brackets to a 2x4, and
then bolt the 2x4 to the wall studs, but also resting on the floor.
Most of the weight will be transferred to the floor.

The advantage is that very little space is consumed. 1.5" for 2x4,
and the 10, 12, or 14" of the bracket. So it fits snugly against the
wall. I have a 24' x 24' shop, and again, don't often store large
quantities of lumber. I'd probably have a shelf row for oak, one for
maple, maybe one for walnut, and then a couple for the 2x stuff. I'd
like to leave 50" clear underneath for 10 sheets of plywood I bought
on-sale years ago. Yeah -- I know -- store flat -- but that's not
much of an option in a shop my size. Then again, with the money I
save on heating and cooling, I can just go buy new flat wood if I
really need.