Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default simple, cheap lumber rack

On 9/9/2011 12:14 PM, Leon wrote:
On 9/9/2011 10:47 AM, kansascats wrote:
That is a beefy solution. But I'm just looking to hold a stack of
maybe 10" high x 8" wide hardwoods -or- 10" high x 10" wide 2x
materials. Even their photo shows the rack 80% unused. For that,
the cheap brackets are plenty strong. That's my point -- I only ever
want to put at-most 10" of material on them -- because I don't want to
sort through 20 boards. With that in mind, each bracket only needs
to support 50# or so.

To load a 100# bracket with 8e# is an accident waiting to happen.

83 # is the number you provided.
oak 50#/cuft
50 x 8' x 12" x 10" / 4 supports = 83 # / support

50# would be safer.

So would 20 be even safer...

The 80lb is assuming a very high density for domestic hardwoods and also
a 100% loading w/ a 100% packing factor. It just ain't agonna' happen
in reality.

Folks getting awfully carried away here--the worst that happens anyway
is he spills a few boards on the floor he gets to pick up and put away
again.

Overhead storage or a structural issue, sure, but to stick a few boards
on the wall he'll be fine as long as ensures their mounted securely.