Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default simple, cheap lumber rack

On 9/9/2011 10:47 AM, kansascats wrote:
That is a beefy solution. But I'm just looking to hold a stack of
maybe 10" high x 8" wide hardwoods -or- 10" high x 10" wide 2x
materials. Even their photo shows the rack 80% unused. For that,
the cheap brackets are plenty strong. That's my point -- I only ever
want to put at-most 10" of material on them -- because I don't want to
sort through 20 boards. With that in mind, each bracket only needs
to support 50# or so.

To load a 100# bracket with 8e# is an accident waiting to happen.

83 # is the number you provided.
oak 50#/cuft
50 x 8' x 12" x 10" / 4 supports = 83 # / support

50# would be safer.

This is for dried lumber. Green would be a different story.. though
I could sticker this rack system and probabley keep similar densities
as dried.

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/wo...sity-d_40.html

On Sep 8, 6:58 pm, Leonlcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:
On 9/8/2011 6:14 PM, kansascats wrote:

OK.. been toiling with this for years.

The other day, in Lowes, I spot 12" x 14" L-bracket shelf supports
rated at 100 lbs. So I figure 4 of those mounted to a 2x4, mounted to
my shop wall studs and spaced 12" vertically apart or so and that
should be adequate. I ran some calcs based on wood density and a
stack of 12" oak that is 10" wide would average out to less than 100#
per support.

oak 50#/cuft
50 x 8' x 12" x 10" / 4 supports = 83 # / support

What am I missing?

Mount several sets of 4 in-a-row and walla -- instanct lumber rack for
$2 a support ($8 per row)

What are you missing? Some one leaning on the rack and it all coming
down. IMHO you want to be rated for at least double the load.
Also, 4 rows? Loading 320# on eack stud??? I would suggest free
standing on the floor 2x6 and anchored to the wall at the top to prevent
it falling.

http://www.grizzly.com/outlet/12-Woo...et-Pair-/H2535

http://cdn0.grizzly.com/manuals/h2535_m.pdf

The above 12" brackets support 300# each. That is what I use.- Hide quoted text -