Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Lumber Rack

I need to make a lumber rack for my work shop.
My workshop is in my garage, the walls of which are made of Cinder
Block.
I was thinking of bolting 2 wooden beams to the wall and cantilevering
arms off of the beam to hold the boards.

Anyone have any comments on this? How much weight do you think is safe
to support this way? I don't want the walls to come down....

Frank

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Frank" wrote in message
oups.com...
I need to make a lumber rack for my work shop.
My workshop is in my garage, the walls of which are made of Cinder
Block.
I was thinking of bolting 2 wooden beams to the wall and cantilevering
arms off of the beam to hold the boards.

Anyone have any comments on this? How much weight do you think is safe
to support this way? I don't want the walls to come down....

Frank

Let the floor carry the weight and let the walls simply keep the assembly
up.

Posted to rec.woodworking

My workshop is in my garage, the walls of which are made of Cinder
Block.
I was thinking of bolting 2 wooden beams to the wall and cantilevering
arms off of the beam to hold the boards.

Anyone have any comments on this? How much weight do you think is safe
to support this way? I don't want the walls to come down....

Frank

Check out my rack (my wife has a better rack, but it doesn't support ant
lumber.). It has been up for a several months now and is solid as a rock.

http://www.garagewoodworks.com/lumberstorage.htm

Stoutman,
www.garagewoodworks.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 17 Jul 2006 22:41:16 GMT, "Stoutman" .@. wrote:

My workshop is in my garage, the walls of which are made of Cinder
Block.
I was thinking of bolting 2 wooden beams to the wall and cantilevering
arms off of the beam to hold the boards.

Anyone have any comments on this? How much weight do you think is safe
to support this way? I don't want the walls to come down....

Frank

Check out my rack (my wife has a better rack, but it doesn't support ant
lumber.).

I prefer to make my own judgements. Where can we see pictures?

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net

care to correspond with you anyway.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Stoutman wrote:

I prefer to make my own judgements. Where can we see pictures?

OK. Here ya go. I think its better, but that's just me!

http://www.garagewoodworks.com/rack.htm

Yep! That why I love this newsgroup. : )

Posted to rec.woodworking

Sorry I have no pictures. I built a lumber rack from plans in
ShopNotes. Basically, it is a 2x4 frame that rests on the floor and
is bolted to the rafters above. The verticals have a series of
slightly angled holes drilled into them where black pipes fit loosely
into them. The pipes were laboriously cut with a hacksaw. I added a
hinged carriage that pivots on a wheel to hold 4x8 sheet goods. I
built two shelves that rest onto the pipes to hold smaller pieces.
This frame hold a lot of weight, very handy, and easy to build from
common materials.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Frank" wrote in message
oups.com...
I need to make a lumber rack for my work shop.
My workshop is in my garage, the walls of which are made of Cinder
Block.
I was thinking of bolting 2 wooden beams to the wall and cantilevering
arms off of the beam to hold the boards.

Anyone have any comments on this? How much weight do you think is safe
to support this way? I don't want the walls to come down....

Frank

Woodcraft sells a sturdy, metal wall-mounted lumber rack with six pairs of
arms for the lumber, for $49.95. The vertical supports fit through the arms
holding the lumber, which (it seems to me) is a much stronger arrangement
than you could get using lumber. For whatever the cost difference might be,
I'd go with the commercial unit, especially if you can get it during their
7/27 10% off sale.

Northern also sells a floor stand lumber rack. I use them both, but the
Woodcraft unit is the better looking of the two, although the Northern unit
will hold more lumber (and uses more space). -- Regards

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Phisherman" wrote in message
Sorry I have no pictures. I built a lumber rack from plans in
ShopNotes. Basically, it is a 2x4 frame that rests on the floor and
is bolted to the rafters above. The verticals have a series of
slightly angled holes drilled into them where black pipes fit loosely
into them. The pipes were laboriously cut with a hacksaw. I added a
hinged carriage that pivots on a wheel to hold 4x8 sheet goods. I
built two shelves that rest onto the pipes to hold smaller pieces.
This frame hold a lot of weight, very handy, and easy to build from
common materials.

Did a similar rack from photos I saw on the net, a few years ago. Holes for
pipe were drilled at 5 degrees to insure wood won't slide off.

Very strong and easy to build

Posted to rec.woodworking

How long are the black pipes? What do you think would be the maximum length
(and what diameter pipe)?

Thanks - great idea.
BTW I'm using 1/2" ply on my walls and will butt the ceiling panels against
the top sill of the wall to strengthen.

TomNie

Very strong and easy to build

Posted to rec.woodworking
bf bf is offline

Frank wrote:
I need to make a lumber rack for my work shop.
My workshop is in my garage, the walls of which are made of Cinder
Block.
I was thinking of bolting 2 wooden beams to the wall and cantilevering
arms off of the beam to hold the boards.

Anyone have any comments on this? How much weight do you think is safe
to support this way? I don't want the walls to come down....

Frank

Hi,
I did the same project a few days ago.. I ended up going to home depot
and getting track and shelves similiar to this:
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...rency=2& sid=

Although the shelves I purchased were the rubbermaid brand. I bought
the 18.5" shelf brackets, which were rated at 400 lbs. The track was
60" long (I think).

For 4 pieces of track, screws, and 12 shelf brackets, it was about
$150.

The nice thing is that it installed to the studs quickly. Only took
about an hour to set it up. Make sure that level the tops of all the
tracks. I had to shim a couple of the tracks, because my concrete floor
isn't perfectly level.

My system holds about 500-600 board feet, although a lot of it is piled
on the bottom (below the first shelf, a pile about 2 feet high).

It sure did free up a lot of floor space. (Before the rack, I just had
them stacked up all over the floor).

Posted to rec.woodworking

The plans called for 1/2" black pipe cut into 15.75" lengths. However,
I used 7/8" black pipe.