BiffNightly

Default Mobile lumber storage rack.

The time as come to finally do something about the pile of lumber that
has accumulated over the last couple of years since I took up with this
hobby they call woodworking. Until now, all of the lumber has been cleverly
leaned against the north wall of my workshop/garage. (no, it's a workshop,
the company car will be fine outside from this day forward.). I am looking
for ideas, plans or photos of some lumber storage solutions.
I have tried to do my homework prior to putting this question to the
group, but I have had little success finding a something that I liked. I
have seen one or two that might work but I thought it was time to as the
experts what they have done.
Here's my criteria......
1) it must be mobile so I can put it against a wall.
2) not too big, I'm running out of room (perhaps a base of about 2' x
8' )
3) it must hold sheet goods, lumber & short scraps that aren't quite
scraps yet.

Hopefully you will post some pictures over on ABPW.

Thanx in advance.
Doug

BiffNightly wrote:

Hopefully you will post some pictures over on ABPW.

Thanx in advance.
Doug

Doug, I don't have access to abpw while traveling. If you will send me
an email address I can email some pictures and commentary to you about
my experience building such a rack and what I learned.

Bob
wrobertdavis AT yahoo DOT com

Max

"BiffNightly" wrote:

I am looking for ideas, plans or photos of some lumber storage solutions.

Here's my criteria......
1) it must be mobile so I can put it against a wall.
2) not too big, I'm running out of room (perhaps a base of about 2' x
8' )
3) it must hold sheet goods, lumber & short scraps that aren't quite
scraps yet.

Hopefully you will post some pictures over on ABPW.

Thanx in advance.
Doug

I can e-mail you some pics of one I built.
(just remove the "not" in my address)

Max D.

Max

"BiffNightly" wrote in message
Hey Max,
I can't seem to get a message to you, My attempts at reaching you via
e-mail keep bouncing back. Woould you mind sending your pics to
.
Thanx in advance.
Doug

I sent them to the sisk address. But I can re-send them to the Hotmail
address if they're not getting to you on the other address.
Just let me know.

Max

neill

On Tue, 5 Apr 2005 17:08:23 -0700, Max wrote
(in message ):

"BiffNightly" wrote in message
Hey Max,
I can't seem to get a message to you, My attempts at reaching you via
e-mail keep bouncing back. Woould you mind sending your pics to
.
Thanx in advance.
Doug

I sent them to the sisk address. But I can re-send them to the Hotmail
address if they're not getting to you on the other address.
Just let me know.

Max

why not post them for all to see? thanks if you do.

Max

"neill" wrote

why not post them for all to see? thanks if you do.

They're at:

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/thesam.../ph//my_photos

neill

On Tue, 5 Apr 2005 21:10:59 -0700, Max wrote
(in message ):

"neill" wrote

why not post them for all to see? thanks if you do.

They're at:

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/thesam....dir=1494&.src
=ph&store=&prodid=&.done=http%3a//photos.sbc.yahoo.com/ph//my_photos

very good. thank you

BiffNightly wrote:
Here's my criteria......
1) it must be mobile so I can put it against a wall.
2) not too big, I'm running out of room (perhaps a base of about

2' x
8' )
3) it must hold sheet goods, lumber & short scraps that aren't

quite
scraps yet.

Hopefully you will post some pictures over on ABPW.

I can't find it right now, but I know I've got the link to a Popular
Woodworking project back at home. Built it last summer. It's 8 feet
long and about 6 high. The middle is an Aframe with inner shelves. One
side holds sheet goods, the other side is cutoff bins. It's on casters
but when that baby's loaded you need to brace yourself and plant both
feet.

I really like it. It got just about all those pieces out of the way.
The only problem is that it appears I need two of 'em.

I know that project got discussed on this list but I can't find it, and
I can't find the project either. I know it's there. I'll just have to
wait till I get home tonight. Actually it'll have to wait till I get
home and get that next drawer installed in the miter saw station. But
I'll get to it. I promise.

Len Rauth

Here's my criteria......
1) it must be mobile so I can put it against a wall.
2) not too big, I'm running out of room (perhaps a base of about
2' x
8' )
3) it must hold sheet goods, lumber & short scraps that aren't
quite
scraps yet.

Hopefully you will post some pictures over on ABPW.

Thanx in advance.
Doug

Doug,

This came from an older issue of Shop Notes (#55). The original plans
were for the base to be 32"x96", but I had to shorten mine so that I
could sctually park a car in the garage. Yes, I have to share my shop
space with the 4 wheeled beasts. *sigh*

The pictures are in ABPW.

Per your criteria...
1) it is mobile.
2) size per plan is 32"x96", but you can easily change that.
3) holds 'em all just fine. I have min fully loaded.

Good luck,
Len