Chris Merrill

Default lumber storage space completed...

I recently finished adding some lumber storage to a 6x9 area of my
shop and posted some pictures. I estimate it will hold 600bf of boards,
along with lots of panels and sheet-goods.

http://christophermerrill.net/ww/shop/storage1.html

I was inspired by a magazine article for the swing-out plywood storage
rack - and another to make use of the area between the studs. I hope
these pictures inspire somebody else!

Chris

--
************************************
Chris Merrill

(remove the ZZZ to contact me)
************************************

Joe

Ditto

"Ron Griffin" wrote in message
Nice job with the new storage and the shop tour. I enjoyed the visit.
ron

Chris Merrill

The Good Bohemian wrote:
1) The 2x4s set for the shelf supports -- are they recessed into the
frame or just screwed directly on either side? It looks like they might
be dadoed in there.

Actually, they are 1/2" plywood strips - and they're just screwed to the
studs. I wouldn't have believed how much weight they could hold. I happened
to get racks from the guy who sold me the lumber - and that's how he built
his. He used them for years. In fact, the racks on the left are built
from the parts of his rack.

2) The 'swing' out rack for the sheet goods is a great idea but I can't
see what part swings out in your pics or description. It looks to me
like a solid piece of lumber from floor to ceiling -- maybe I can't see
the hinges or the break. Can you explain?

The 3rd and 4th pictures (on http://christophermerrill.net/ww/shop/storage1.html)
show the plywood rack against the wall and swung out into the room. The hinges
are in the back right corner. On the 4th picture, you can see the three hinges
on the stud - farthest back in the corner.

Hope that helps - it was hard to get good pictures in that tiny room.

Last but not least... Just so I can feel insignificant... what did
that ole' furniture maker want to part with all that lovely stock? I
have a similar situation where a guy around the corner from me is
selling 1x3 white oak in bundles of maybe 80ft. for about $60 CDN. I
think I'll get some of that into the shop ASAP.

He was retiring from WW and moving to a small house with no shop. I think
his mini-lathe was the only big tool he kept.

He originally got much of the oak stock from a furniture company - they
are mostly panels that are glued-up and were rejected due to a defect in the
glue-up process. Apparently they don't bother to fix them...just dump 'em.
In most cases, a board has split. I just rip them down and use them for
something smaller.

************************************
Chris Merrill

(remove the ZZZ to contact me)
************************************

Chris Merrill

Chris Merrill wrote:
Actually, they are 1/2" plywood strips - and they're just screwed to the
studs. I wouldn't have believed how much weight they could hold. I
happened to get racks from the guy who sold me the lumber - and that's
how he built his. He used them for years. In fact, the racks on the
left are built from the parts of his rack.

I should clarify - there are _two_ plywood strips on each stud at each
location...one on each side of the stud. Both are screwed in - be sure
to offset the screw positions slightly or the screws will hit each other!

************************************
Chris Merrill

(remove the ZZZ to contact me)
************************************

The Good Bohemian

In article , Chris
Merrill wrote:

http://christophermerrill.net/ww/shop/storage1.html

Chris:

That looks great -- that's something like what I want to do in my
basement shop. I have a question or two though...

1) The 2x4s set for the shelf supports -- are they recessed into the
frame or just screwed directly on either side? It looks like they might
be dadoed in there.

2) The 'swing' out rack for the sheet goods is a great idea but I can't
see what part swings out in your pics or description. It looks to me
like a solid piece of lumber from floor to ceiling -- maybe I can't see
the hinges or the break. Can you explain?

Last but not least... Just so I can feel insignificant... what did
that ole' furniture maker want to part with all that lovely stock? I
have a similar situation where a guy around the corner from me is
selling 1x3 white oak in bundles of maybe 80ft. for about $60 CDN. I
think I'll get some of that into the shop ASAP.

Thanks for the enlightenment,

Andrew.

The Good Bohemian

oh yeah... one more thing... which article 'inspired' you to begin
with?? Once again. thanks for the tour - nice shop.

Thanks,
Andrew.
Renata

Very nice! Especially like the swing out with storage behind it.
'Course, the racks are nice too...

Renata