Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Deck Project - Concrete

I bought one of those 3.5 cu ft Cement Mixers from HFT and mixed two
80# bags of SAKRETE concrete mix accodring to the directions adding
(at first) .75 gallons of water per bag.

The mix was dry. And balls of mix developed .75" to about 1.5" and
rolled about the mixer without mixing in very well.

I wound up adding more water about a gallon per bag to get a mix that
looked something like the mix the pros bring when I order several
years from a regular cement truck. Or the mixes I used to do in a
shallow plastic tub with hoe and rake to mix the SAKRETE.

Adding the water was essential to getting a mix I felt comfortable
with - with the exception that I fear the additional water might
effectively ruin the mix and deck footers I was pouring.

I thought to ask here in case anyone had experience mixing concrete in
a similar mixer or the one from HFT.

Or maybe one of you can point me to a source that will help answer my
questions. Thank you.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 17 Jul 2011 18:29:38 -0700 (PDT), Gooey wrote:

[...]

Not in a mixer, but a gallon per bag is the mix I've always started with. Once
in a while I've had to add a little (maybe a cup) more.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Gooey wrote:
[...]

Can't point you to a source, so you'll have to do a little google legwork.
That said - it's not the mixer's fault, it's doing it's job just fine. The
amount of water to add is something of an artform - dependent upon a few
variables. As long as you didn't pour it soupy, then don't worry about the
strength. It'll be fine.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

I bought one of those 3.5 cu ft Cement Mixers from HFT and mixed two
80# bags of SAKRETE concrete mix accodring to the directions adding
(at first) .75 gallons of water per bag.

The mix was dry. And balls of mix developed .75" to about 1.5" and
rolled about the mixer without mixing in very well.

I wound up adding more water about a gallon per bag to get a mix that
looked something like the mix the pros bring when I order several
years from a regular cement truck. Or the mixes I used to do in a
shallow plastic tub with hoe and rake to mix the SAKRETE.

Adding the water was essential to getting a mix I felt comfortable
with - with the exception that I fear the additional water might
effectively ruin the mix and deck footers I was pouring.

It _very_ likely didn't. I've seen idiots fill holes with water, toss
in the 4x4, dump in a bag of crete, stir with the 4x4, then set
vertical. The resultant lump 'o crete was nice and solid the week
after. I was fairly surprised. Do try to use as little water as
possible, though.

I thought to ask here in case anyone had experience mixing concrete in
a similar mixer or the one from HFT.

Or maybe one of you can point me to a source that will help answer my
questions. Thank you.

I should measure it the next time I put in a fence post. I believe I
use about a gallon for a #60 bag of fence post mix.

--
Life is an escalator:
You can move forward or backward;
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote
It _very_ likely didn't. I've seen idiots fill holes with water, toss
in the 4x4, dump in a bag of crete, stir with the 4x4, then set
vertical. The resultant lump 'o crete was nice and solid the week
after. I was fairly surprised. Do try to use as little water as
possible, though.

Sakrete makes a no-mix fence post formula. They also make a lightweight
aggregate mix.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/18/11 12:10 PM, Josepi wrote:
Your water may vary in wetness...

Brilliant.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 07/18/2011 12:18 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 7/18/11 12:10 PM, Josepi wrote:
Your water may vary in wetness...

Brilliant.

You beat me to it.

To reply, eat the taco.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/
Posted to rec.woodworking

-MIKE- wrote:
On 7/18/11 12:10 PM, Josepi wrote:
Your water may vary in wetness...

Brilliant.

http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=74&pcid=10

lowers surface tension. technically, it would make water 'wetter'.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Ohhh... the tension goes deep into the roots of the group, not just the
surface.

-------
"chaniarts" wrote in message ...
http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=74&pcid=10

lowers surface tension. technically, it would make water 'wetter'.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/18/11 12:41 PM, chaniarts wrote:
-MIKE- wrote:
On 7/18/11 12:10 PM, Josepi wrote:
Your water may vary in wetness...

Brilliant.

http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=74&pcid=10

lowers surface tension. technically, it would make water 'wetter'.

Well, that wouldn't be water, now, would it.
That would be "water plus additive."

That's no different than saying, your water may have more caffeine than
other water and what you're actually talking about is coffee.

Why am I even explaining this?

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

chaniarts wrote:
-MIKE- wrote:
On 7/18/11 12:10 PM, Josepi wrote:
Your water may vary in wetness...

Brilliant.

http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=74&pcid=10

lowers surface tension. technically, it would make water 'wetter'.

Probably colder too!

Cooler drinks? : )
Posted to rec.woodworking

-MIKE- wrote:
On 7/18/11 12:10 PM, Josepi wrote:
Your water may vary in wetness...

Brilliant.

http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=74&pcid=10

lowers surface tension. technically, it would make water 'wetter'.

Well, that wouldn't be water, now, would it.
That would be "water plus additive."

That's no different than saying, your water may have more caffeine
than other water and what you're actually talking about is coffee.

Why am I even explaining this?

But not very well. There is water, then there is water.

With distilled water, you can float a paper clip on its surface. In some
locals, there are enough dissolved solids to lower the surface tension
sufficiently so the paper clip will not float.

Distilled water is an insulator. Non-distilled water is a conductor.

And so on.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Wow! Sure is a lot of A.D.D. in this group!

The poor OP gets one decent answer and the trolls want to fish for suckers
based on an expression that entices the troll bait suckers.

Pathetic... just pathetic. We must be pretty bored. (here comes the disputes
about using the word `pretty`)

---------------------
"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...
But not very well. There is water, then there is water.

With distilled water, you can float a paper clip on its surface. In some
locals, there are enough dissolved solids to lower the surface tension
sufficiently so the paper clip will not float.

Distilled water is an insulator. Non-distilled water is a conductor.

And so on.

Posted to rec.woodworking

-MIKE- wrote:
On 7/18/11 12:10 PM, Josepi wrote:
Your water may vary in wetness...

Brilliant.

http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=74&pcid=10

lowers surface tension. technically, it would make water 'wetter'.

Well, that wouldn't be water, now, would it.
That would be "water plus additive."

That's no different than saying, your water may have more caffeine
than other water and what you're actually talking about is coffee.

Why am I even explaining this?

But not very well. There is water, then there is water.

With distilled water, you can float a paper clip on its surface. In some
locals, there are enough dissolved solids to lower the surface tension
sufficiently so the paper clip will not float.

Distilled water is an insulator. Non-distilled water is a conductor.

And so on.

I guess you can go ahead and used distilled water for your concrete if
it makes you feel better.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

Default -Mike- uses more than three IDs in same thread - Was (Deck Project - Concrete)

Hard to miss the gang members that jump in with the stupidest bunch of
garbage one can find to carry on a conversation with himself.

Note how they all have ADD, share a brain cell, and can`t think
independently!

``water wetness`` ROFLMFAO

All the OP wanted was a simple answer.

get a threading reader and get with the 90s

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 18 Jul 2011 12:34:12 -0500, Steve Turner
wrote:

On 07/18/2011 12:18 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 7/18/11 12:10 PM, Josepi wrote:
Your water may vary in wetness...

Brilliant.

You beat me to it.

Why are you two feeding the damned trolls?
Or do you -want- to make into our twit filters, too?
sigh

--
One word frees us of all the weight and pain of life: That word is love.
-- Sophocles
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/18/2011 12:10 PM, Josepi wrote:
Your water may vary in wetness or the package may vary in moisture.

Concrete wetness really doesn't matter except for it not getting all
mixed (too dry) or too wet and it runs away on you. The consistency is
only for your convenience of forming and working with it.

Keep in mind concrete does not dry to harden but rather cure. Throw a
bag of pre-mixed into the bottom of a river and it will still cure.

Does river water have wetter water than say a lake?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/18/2011 12:41 PM, chaniarts wrote:
-MIKE- wrote:
On 7/18/11 12:10 PM, Josepi wrote:
Your water may vary in wetness...

Brilliant.

http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=74&pcid=10

lowers surface tension. technically, it would make water 'wetter'.

It is a chemical additive for coolant, not concrete.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On 07/18/2011 12:18 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 7/18/11 12:10 PM, Josepi wrote:
Your water may vary in wetness...

Brilliant.

You beat me to it.

Why are you two feeding the damned trolls?
Or do you -want- to make into our twit filters, too?
sigh

Yeah, I'm starting to get in that boat with ya.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/18/2011 5:10 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote
It _very_ likely didn't. I've seen idiots fill holes with water, toss
in the 4x4, dump in a bag of crete, stir with the 4x4, then set
vertical. The resultant lump 'o crete was nice and solid the week
after. I was fairly surprised. Do try to use as little water as
possible, though.

Sakrete makes a no-mix fence post formula. They also make a lightweight
aggregate mix.

i use the regular sakrete, put in dry. it'll rain eventually. works
great. Most posts don't need concrete anyway if they are of proper depth.

--
Steve Barker

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/18/2011 5:53 PM, Steve Barker wrote:
On 7/18/2011 5:10 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote
It _very_ likely didn't. I've seen idiots fill holes with water, toss
in the 4x4, dump in a bag of crete, stir with the 4x4, then set
vertical. The resultant lump 'o crete was nice and solid the week
after. I was fairly surprised. Do try to use as little water as
possible, though.

Sakrete makes a no-mix fence post formula. They also make a lightweight
aggregate mix.

i use the regular sakrete, put in dry. it'll rain eventually. works
great. Most posts don't need concrete anyway if they are of proper depth.

I have probably built 30-40 fences. I replaced one a few years ago, we
were able to simply pull the posts out of the ground with out digging or
working the posts back and forth. The previous installer used the wait
till rain technique. 8 years later the concrete was still uncured and
powdery just like it came out of the bag.

Apparently the top got a little wet, cured, and shielded the remainder.
That fence failed about 12 years too early due to laziness
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 18, 6:53*pm, Steve Barker wrote:
On 7/18/2011 5:10 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

"Most posts don't need concrete anyway if they are of proper depth."

Actually, I am not setting posts. Rather U-shaped metal supports that
posts fasten to and have a projection or two that is/are embedded in
the pour.

I have my reasons (for this approach) related to how I plan to
attached the beams and joists on this low-level deck and based upon
experience using them on another project.

I've also had success following the directions on the bags of SAKRETE
I get at LOWES - I buy the torn bags for half price.

Thanks to those offering the feedback, suggestions and links. My
project couldn't wait for same, but seems to be setting up (curing,
thank you) quite nicely so far (24 Hours) as I covered the concrete
with plastic and am keeping the surface damp for at least 48 hours
before putting any stress on the fittings embedded therin.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Gooey wrote the following:
On Jul 18, 6:53 pm, Steve Barker wrote:

On 7/18/2011 5:10 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

"Most posts don't need concrete anyway if they are of proper depth."

The posts in this thread certainly don't need concrete. The thread is
getting pretty deep without it.

Actually, I am not setting posts. Rather U-shaped metal supports that
posts fasten to and have a projection or two that is/are embedded in
the pour.

I have my reasons (for this approach) related to how I plan to
attached the beams and joists on this low-level deck and based upon
experience using them on another project.

I've also had success following the directions on the bags of SAKRETE
I get at LOWES - I buy the torn bags for half price.

Thanks to those offering the feedback, suggestions and links. My
project couldn't wait for same, but seems to be setting up (curing,
thank you) quite nicely so far (24 Hours) as I covered the concrete
with plastic and am keeping the surface damp for at least 48 hours
before putting any stress on the fittings embedded therin.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to rec.woodworking

wasted the time of those who responded.

Lew

Well, if the responses had indicated my extra water would kill the
project I would have re-done the work. You are correct in that it
would have been better all around if I'd asked before I mixed the
concrete, but I didn't see the problem/issue until I started to mix
the concrete. Catcha-22

Posted to rec.woodworking

Gooey wrote:
wasted the time of those who responded.

Lew

Well, if the responses had indicated my extra water would kill the
project I would have re-done the work. You are correct in that it
would have been better all around if I'd asked before I mixed the
concrete, but I didn't see the problem/issue until I started to mix
the concrete. Catcha-22

So... not to be critical - but, if you follow the directions on the product
you will usually come out just fine. There are those of us who sometimes
wonder why people ask obvious questions when 1) the directions are very
clear, and 2) they are going to go about it their own way anyway. Not that
our wonder makes us right - it is just our wonder. What can I say - we're
all just a little screwed up in some way...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/19/2011 12:02 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
Gooey wrote:
wasted the time of those who responded.

Lew

Well, if the responses had indicated my extra water would kill the
project I would have re-done the work. You are correct in that it
would have been better all around if I'd asked before I mixed the
concrete, but I didn't see the problem/issue until I started to mix
the concrete. Catcha-22

So... not to be critical - but, if you follow the directions on the product
you will usually come out just fine. There are those of us who sometimes
wonder why people ask obvious questions when 1) the directions are very
clear, and 2) they are going to go about it their own way anyway. Not that
our wonder makes us right - it is just our wonder. What can I say - we're
all just a little screwed up in some way...

Speak for yourself buddy!

--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/
Posted to rec.woodworking

Gooey wrote:
wasted the time of those who responded.

Lew

Well, if the responses had indicated my extra water would kill the
project I would have re-done the work. You are correct in that it
would have been better all around if I'd asked before I mixed the
concrete, but I didn't see the problem/issue until I started to mix
the concrete. Catcha-22

So... not to be critical - but, if you follow the directions on the
product you will usually come out just fine. There are those of us
who sometimes wonder why people ask obvious questions when 1) the
directions are very clear, and 2) they are going to go about it
their own way anyway. Not that our wonder makes us right - it is
just our wonder. What can I say - we're all just a little screwed
up in some way...

Speak for yourself buddy!

Correction - all of us but Steve. Geeze, that was embarassing - thanks for
the correction Steve. I just hate it when that happens...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Don't worry about the troll responses. Just don't feed them by giving
audience.

The group is a success is indicated when you get these fools. They will
always find something to poke at even if it is with the way you type your
period character, at the end of your sentence....too much pressure or too
little pressure on your keyboard, etc....

I have poured premixed concrete into a hole, dry, and walked away, if it
will rain in the next day or so. It works just fine and you seem to know
what you are doing.

Have a good one!
---------

"Gooey" wrote in message
Well, if the responses had indicated my extra water would kill the
project I would have re-done the work. You are correct in that it
would have been better all around if I'd asked before I mixed the
concrete, but I didn't see the problem/issue until I started to mix
the concrete. Catcha-22

Posted to rec.woodworking

Josepi wrote the following:
Don't worry about the troll responses. Just don't feed them by giving
audience.

The group is a success is indicated when you get these fools. They
will always find something to poke at even if it is with the way you
type your period character, at the end of your sentence....too much
pressure or too little pressure on your keyboard, etc....

I have poured premixed concrete into a hole, dry, and walked away, if
it will rain in the next day or so. It works just fine and you seem to
know what you are doing.

Have a good one!

It's what my fence company did when they installed my 15 - 6' h x 8' w
wooden fence posts. They only poured dry concrete in the corner posts
and the posts that hold the gate hinges. All the rest were just buried
without any concrete at all. It's been 25 years since.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683
Posted to rec.woodworking

Gooey wrote:
[...]

You couldn't help it; you're screwed up! I do appreciate the clarification
though. Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go mesmerize some more screwed-up
people with my infinite wisdom.

twitch twitch

:-)

--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/19/2011 1:07 PM, Josepi wrote:
Don't worry about the troll responses. Just don't feed them by giving
audience.

The group is a success is indicated when you get these fools. They will
always find something to poke at even if it is with the way you type
your period character, at the end of your sentence....too much pressure
or too little pressure on your keyboard, etc....

I have poured premixed concrete into a hole, dry, and walked away, if it
will rain in the next day or so. It works just fine and you seem to know
what you are doing.

And what if it does not rain in a day or so? Kind of a stupid gamble.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Gooey wrote:
[...]

Oh **** - am I in that thread too? Geezus... this is getting too close to
life with my wife...
--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
On 7/19/2011 1:07 PM, Josepi wrote:
Don't worry about the troll responses. Just don't feed them by giving
audience.

The group is a success is indicated when you get these fools. They
will always find something to poke at even if it is with the way you
type your period character, at the end of your sentence....too much
pressure or too little pressure on your keyboard, etc....

I have poured premixed concrete into a hole, dry, and walked away,
if it will rain in the next day or so. It works just fine and you
seem to know what you are doing.

And what if it does not rain in a day or so? Kind of a stupid gamble.

Well - I've dont it both ways. Obviously, the premixed concrete was well
set up. Likewise though, the dry bags were equally set up after a couple of
years. Couple of years only applies because that's when I had cause to dig
around them again. Don't know how soon it actually happened, but I suspect
it was by the next spring.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/19/11 2:08 PM, Leon wrote:
On 7/19/2011 1:07 PM, Josepi wrote:
Don't worry about the troll responses. Just don't feed them by giving
audience.

The group is a success is indicated when you get these fools. They will
always find something to poke at even if it is with the way you type
your period character, at the end of your sentence....too much pressure
or too little pressure on your keyboard, etc....

I have poured premixed concrete into a hole, dry, and walked away, if it
will rain in the next day or so. It works just fine and you seem to know
what you are doing.

And what if it does not rain in a day or so? Kind of a stupid gamble.

That and the fact that what really happens is you get a crispy shell of
cured concrete covering the dry powder concrete on the inside.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

-MIKE- wrote:
On 7/19/11 2:08 PM, Leon wrote:
On 7/19/2011 1:07 PM, Josepi wrote:
Don't worry about the troll responses. Just don't feed them by
giving audience.

The group is a success is indicated when you get these fools. They
will always find something to poke at even if it is with the way
you type your period character, at the end of your sentence....too
much pressure or too little pressure on your keyboard, etc....

I have poured premixed concrete into a hole, dry, and walked away,
if it will rain in the next day or so. It works just fine and you
seem to know what you are doing.

And what if it does not rain in a day or so? Kind of a stupid gamble.

That and the fact that what really happens is you get a crispy shell
of cured concrete covering the dry powder concrete on the inside.

I have to disagree. I have dug up posts that I've put in the ground and
found the dry mix to be a solid mass as if I had poured it. it depends on
the moisture of the ground.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/19/11 4:13 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
-MIKE- wrote:
On 7/19/11 2:08 PM, Leon wrote:
[...]

location, location, location...It would have worked in the spring here,
now not so much, Leon is in a drought area, probably wouldn't work so
well.

--
Froz...

Posted to rec.woodworking

FrozenNorth wrote:

location, location, location...It would have worked in the spring
here, now not so much, Leon is in a drought area, probably wouldn't
work so well.

Correct. Ergo m reply. It cannot be flatly stated (as has been...) that
pouring dry mix in the hole will result in less than a complete cure.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/19/11 3:13 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
-MIKE- wrote:
On 7/19/11 2:08 PM, Leon wrote:
[...]

I'm assuming you broke it up? :-)
Here's my opinion on the matter.... it's laziness for one. Secondly, if
you can risk uncured concrete in a post hole, you probably don't need
concrete in your post hole. Tamping a dry sand/stone mixture would
probably suffice.

Like someones else may have stated, most decks don't need concrete in
the post holes. If the deck is built properly, it will act as one
structure, and gravity will anchor it to the ground. Freeze and thaw can
be dealt with my having proper footings under the posts, which depending
on the circumstances, could be dry footings.

Most fences only need concrete at the corners and every so many posts on
long runs. Depending on the soil and how far down you can dig, you can
get away with a dry pack, even on corners.

If concrete is below the frost line on posts and dry fill above, you
won't get any front lift. All Douchepi proved with his front statement
is that he neglected to gid his holes deep enough.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

Gooey wrote:
[...]

Rightio! Nobody can say Steve is only a LITTLE screwed up, can they?
gd&r

--
Progress is the product of human agency. Things get better because we
make them better. Things go wrong when we get too comfortable, when we
Posted to rec.woodworking

Hey Gooey, I don't mean to pick on you here, but remember the other day when
you replied that my WD-40 post was spam, spam, spam? And you provided links
to web sites where the post appeared. Remember that?

http://www.homeownershub.com/woodwor...e-518980-1.htm

Does this make your post spam, spam, spam?
I don't think it does. I think there are web sites that cull posts from
newsgroups and post it on their own site. What do you think?

Phil