Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Deck Project - Concrete

On Sun, 17 Jul 2011 18:29:38 -0700 (PDT), Gooey wrote:

I bought one of those 3.5 cu ft Cement Mixers from HFT and mixed two
80# bags of SAKRETE concrete mix accodring to the directions adding
(at first) .75 gallons of water per bag.

The mix was dry. And balls of mix developed .75" to about 1.5" and
rolled about the mixer without mixing in very well.

I wound up adding more water about a gallon per bag to get a mix that
looked something like the mix the pros bring when I order several
years from a regular cement truck. Or the mixes I used to do in a
shallow plastic tub with hoe and rake to mix the SAKRETE.

Adding the water was essential to getting a mix I felt comfortable
with - with the exception that I fear the additional water might
effectively ruin the mix and deck footers I was pouring.

I thought to ask here in case anyone had experience mixing concrete in
a similar mixer or the one from HFT.

Or maybe one of you can point me to a source that will help answer my
questions. Thank you.

Not in a mixer, but a gallon per bag is the mix I've always started with. Once
in a while I've had to add a little (maybe a cup) more.