Posted to rec.woodworking
willshak willshak is offline

Default Deck Project - Concrete

Gooey wrote the following:
On Jul 18, 6:53 pm, Steve Barker wrote:

On 7/18/2011 5:10 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

"Most posts don't need concrete anyway if they are of proper depth."

The posts in this thread certainly don't need concrete. The thread is
getting pretty deep without it.

Actually, I am not setting posts. Rather U-shaped metal supports that
posts fasten to and have a projection or two that is/are embedded in
the pour.

I have my reasons (for this approach) related to how I plan to
attached the beams and joists on this low-level deck and based upon
experience using them on another project.

I've also had success following the directions on the bags of SAKRETE
I get at LOWES - I buy the torn bags for half price.

Thanks to those offering the feedback, suggestions and links. My
project couldn't wait for same, but seems to be setting up (curing,
thank you) quite nicely so far (24 Hours) as I covered the concrete
with plastic and am keeping the surface damp for at least 48 hours
before putting any stress on the fittings embedded therin.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY