Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Deck Project - Concrete

I bought one of those 3.5 cu ft Cement Mixers from HFT and mixed two
80# bags of SAKRETE concrete mix accodring to the directions adding
(at first) .75 gallons of water per bag.

The mix was dry. And balls of mix developed .75" to about 1.5" and
rolled about the mixer without mixing in very well.

I wound up adding more water about a gallon per bag to get a mix that
looked something like the mix the pros bring when I order several
years from a regular cement truck. Or the mixes I used to do in a
shallow plastic tub with hoe and rake to mix the SAKRETE.

Adding the water was essential to getting a mix I felt comfortable
with - with the exception that I fear the additional water might
effectively ruin the mix and deck footers I was pouring.

I thought to ask here in case anyone had experience mixing concrete in
a similar mixer or the one from HFT.

Or maybe one of you can point me to a source that will help answer my
questions. Thank you.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 17 Jul 2011 18:29:38 -0700 (PDT), Gooey wrote:

[...]

Not in a mixer, but a gallon per bag is the mix I've always started with. Once
in a while I've had to add a little (maybe a cup) more.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Gooey wrote:
[...]

Can't point you to a source, so you'll have to do a little google legwork.
That said - it's not the mixer's fault, it's doing it's job just fine. The
amount of water to add is something of an artform - dependent upon a few
variables. As long as you didn't pour it soupy, then don't worry about the
strength. It'll be fine.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

I bought one of those 3.5 cu ft Cement Mixers from HFT and mixed two
80# bags of SAKRETE concrete mix accodring to the directions adding
(at first) .75 gallons of water per bag.

The mix was dry. And balls of mix developed .75" to about 1.5" and
rolled about the mixer without mixing in very well.

I wound up adding more water about a gallon per bag to get a mix that
looked something like the mix the pros bring when I order several
years from a regular cement truck. Or the mixes I used to do in a
shallow plastic tub with hoe and rake to mix the SAKRETE.

Adding the water was essential to getting a mix I felt comfortable
with - with the exception that I fear the additional water might
effectively ruin the mix and deck footers I was pouring.

It _very_ likely didn't. I've seen idiots fill holes with water, toss
in the 4x4, dump in a bag of crete, stir with the 4x4, then set
vertical. The resultant lump 'o crete was nice and solid the week
after. I was fairly surprised. Do try to use as little water as
possible, though.

I thought to ask here in case anyone had experience mixing concrete in
a similar mixer or the one from HFT.

Or maybe one of you can point me to a source that will help answer my
questions. Thank you.

I should measure it the next time I put in a fence post. I believe I
use about a gallon for a #60 bag of fence post mix.

--
Life is an escalator:
You can move forward or backward;
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote
It _very_ likely didn't. I've seen idiots fill holes with water, toss
in the 4x4, dump in a bag of crete, stir with the 4x4, then set
vertical. The resultant lump 'o crete was nice and solid the week
after. I was fairly surprised. Do try to use as little water as
possible, though.

Sakrete makes a no-mix fence post formula. They also make a lightweight
aggregate mix.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/18/2011 5:10 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote
It _very_ likely didn't. I've seen idiots fill holes with water, toss
in the 4x4, dump in a bag of crete, stir with the 4x4, then set
vertical. The resultant lump 'o crete was nice and solid the week
after. I was fairly surprised. Do try to use as little water as
possible, though.

Sakrete makes a no-mix fence post formula. They also make a lightweight
aggregate mix.

i use the regular sakrete, put in dry. it'll rain eventually. works
great. Most posts don't need concrete anyway if they are of proper depth.

--
Steve Barker
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/18/2011 5:53 PM, Steve Barker wrote:
On 7/18/2011 5:10 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote
It _very_ likely didn't. I've seen idiots fill holes with water, toss
in the 4x4, dump in a bag of crete, stir with the 4x4, then set
vertical. The resultant lump 'o crete was nice and solid the week
after. I was fairly surprised. Do try to use as little water as
possible, though.

Sakrete makes a no-mix fence post formula. They also make a lightweight
aggregate mix.

i use the regular sakrete, put in dry. it'll rain eventually. works
great. Most posts don't need concrete anyway if they are of proper depth.

I have probably built 30-40 fences. I replaced one a few years ago, we
were able to simply pull the posts out of the ground with out digging or
working the posts back and forth. The previous installer used the wait
till rain technique. 8 years later the concrete was still uncured and
powdery just like it came out of the bag.

Apparently the top got a little wet, cured, and shielded the remainder.
That fence failed about 12 years too early due to laziness
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 18, 6:53*pm, Steve Barker wrote:
On 7/18/2011 5:10 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

"Most posts don't need concrete anyway if they are of proper depth."

Actually, I am not setting posts. Rather U-shaped metal supports that
posts fasten to and have a projection or two that is/are embedded in
the pour.

I have my reasons (for this approach) related to how I plan to
attached the beams and joists on this low-level deck and based upon
experience using them on another project.

I've also had success following the directions on the bags of SAKRETE
I get at LOWES - I buy the torn bags for half price.

Thanks to those offering the feedback, suggestions and links. My
project couldn't wait for same, but seems to be setting up (curing,
thank you) quite nicely so far (24 Hours) as I covered the concrete
with plastic and am keeping the surface damp for at least 48 hours
before putting any stress on the fittings embedded therin.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Gooey wrote the following:
On Jul 18, 6:53 pm, Steve Barker wrote:

On 7/18/2011 5:10 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

"Most posts don't need concrete anyway if they are of proper depth."

The posts in this thread certainly don't need concrete. The thread is
getting pretty deep without it.

Actually, I am not setting posts. Rather U-shaped metal supports that
posts fasten to and have a projection or two that is/are embedded in
the pour.

I have my reasons (for this approach) related to how I plan to
attached the beams and joists on this low-level deck and based upon
experience using them on another project.

I've also had success following the directions on the bags of SAKRETE
I get at LOWES - I buy the torn bags for half price.

Thanks to those offering the feedback, suggestions and links. My
project couldn't wait for same, but seems to be setting up (curing,
thank you) quite nicely so far (24 Hours) as I covered the concrete
with plastic and am keeping the surface damp for at least 48 hours
before putting any stress on the fittings embedded therin.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to rec.woodworking

Default -Mike- uses more than three IDs in same thread - Was (Deck Project - Concrete)

Hard to miss the gang members that jump in with the stupidest bunch of
garbage one can find to carry on a conversation with himself.

Note how they all have ADD, share a brain cell, and can`t think
independently!

``water wetness`` ROFLMFAO

All the OP wanted was a simple answer.

get a threading reader and get with the 90s

Posted to rec.woodworking

Hey Gooey, I don't mean to pick on you here, but remember the other day when
you replied that my WD-40 post was spam, spam, spam? And you provided links
to web sites where the post appeared. Remember that?

http://www.homeownershub.com/woodwor...e-518980-1.htm

Does this make your post spam, spam, spam?
I don't think it does. I think there are web sites that cull posts from
newsgroups and post it on their own site. What do you think?

Phil

"Gooey" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Phil Anderson" wrote in message ...
Hey Gooey, I don't mean to pick on you here, but remember the other day when
you replied that my WD-40 post was spam, spam, spam? And you provided links
to web sites where the post appeared. Remember that?

http://www.homeownershub.com/woodwor...e-518980-1.htm

Does this make your post spam, spam, spam?
I don't think it does. I think there are web sites that cull posts from
newsgroups and post it on their own site. What do you think?

Phil

==============

We expect a report on the wonders and lies of WD-68? here every month or so
for the last ten years, anyway.

--

Eric

Posted to rec.woodworking

my WD-40 post was spam, spam, spam

Well, In my defense I did NOT reply so until after 1. reading another
such assertion on this list and, then 2. Googling a phrase from the
post and finding a dozen copies posted on the same day.

"If it walks, like a duck," they say . . .

So, if the WD-40 cheering is, indeed, proper fodder for this
list . . .

And, I did fail to ad "OT" to my subject line - though I doubt it
would have mad a great difference in the responses. So, I stand guilty
as charged.

BTW, what was the charge?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Gooey" wrote in message

my WD-40 post was spam, spam, spam

Well, In my defense I did NOT reply so until after 1. reading another
such assertion on this list and, then 2. Googling a phrase from the
post and finding a dozen copies posted on the same day.

"If it walks, like a duck," they say . . .

So, if the WD-40 cheering is, indeed, proper fodder for this
list . . .

And, I did fail to ad "OT" to my subject line - though I doubt it
would have mad a great difference in the responses. So, I stand guilty
as charged.

BTW, what was the charge?

======================

You hereby charged with, and found guilty by association of:

Committing Usenet Format Indecency in a post caused by typing on a keyboard
,or other input device, consisting of sentence formations with meaning not
in compliance with the population's subject matter of complete agreement.

Punishment shall consist of a warning, this time, but further infractions or
usage of words, or sentence structure, larger than most can reasonably
comprehend without google.ca lookup, or otherwise equivalent, shall result
in a temporary, of undetermined length, spilt in the attitude of the
populace with OCD, posting here.

You have been warned.

--

Eric

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 17 Jul 2011 19:29:38 -0600, Gooey wrote
(in article
):

I bought one of those 3.5 cu ft Cement Mixers from HFT and mixed two
80# bags of SAKRETE concrete mix accodring to the directions adding
(at first) .75 gallons of water per bag.

The mix was dry. And balls of mix developed .75" to about 1.5" and
rolled about the mixer without mixing in very well.

I wound up adding more water about a gallon per bag to get a mix that
looked something like the mix the pros bring when I order several
years from a regular cement truck. Or the mixes I used to do in a
shallow plastic tub with hoe and rake to mix the SAKRETE.

Adding the water was essential to getting a mix I felt comfortable
with - with the exception that I fear the additional water might
effectively ruin the mix and deck footers I was pouring.

I thought to ask here in case anyone had experience mixing concrete in
a similar mixer or the one from HFT.

I bought one of those mixers years ago when they were on sale. Since then, I
have mixed literally a 1000 batches of quickcrete, stucco, and standard
cement. Rule 1 with these mixers is they are underpowered. If you over load
it, you are screwed. The max amount of material mine can handle is a 1-2-3
mix of standard portland cement, sand, and gravel with a 3-gallon pail.

For the above, I add the cement and sand, then run it a few minutes to get it
all mixed up. I then add water (a little at a time) until the sand/cement mix
turns into a runny slurry (fully mixed, no lumps). I then add the gravel
which thickens up everything perfectly. I may need to add a splash or two of
water to get it just right. If I go overboard on the water, I set things
right with a few scoops of cement/sand.

With quickcrete (and stucco), I start with the dry mix and add water little
by little trying to avoid dry pockets sticking to the side of the drum. If
the drum starts to stall, tilt it back up a notch or two. 'Balling' is common
and you need to add more water to break them up, but be aware that at this
point, very little water goes a long way towards souping up the mix.

The damn thing just won't die. I've been tempted to fit in a 3/4 HP cooler
motor some day. When I'm using it I always imagine 1,000,000 Chinese workers,
each manning one of these mixers, building the three gorges dam....

-Bruce