vmtw

Default Question Is a deck project woodworking?

This is a follow-up to a post on using Kreg Jig for deck assembly. I
decided to post pictures, and ask the question about woodworking.
Most of my "woodworking" seems to be projects like this rather than
furniture. I would love to read your comments. Do I need to put caps
on these posts before winter sets in?
Scott

http://www.vmtw.com/shop/deck10-25.jpg
This shows the 2*4 attached to the post before I attached the spindle
assembly on the top deck. I cut the bottom posts short (I think that
was the problem) for the bottom stairs. I cut them both 37 inches up
from the tread that they were standing on. The problem was that one
post was near the front of a tread, and one was at the back of the
tread. As a result I needed to cut the top spindles two inches longer
then the bottom spindles in order to make it look right. Each spindle
was slightly longer than the one next to it.

http://www.vmtw.com/shop/deck10-25a.jpg
This picture shows the cap on top of the 2*4. It is 2.5 inches wide
and is ripped from a 5.5 inch wide deck board.

http://www.vmtw.com/shop/deck10-25b.jpg
Another shot shoeing the 2*4 attached to the post.
Bob Davis

Nice work. Thanks for the inspiration. As to putting caps on before winter,
I am not qualified to answer. I live in Houston. We don't have a winter
worth worrying about.

Bob
Houston - the only place in the world with two great woodworking stores,
great woodworking weather 10 months of the year, and pure hell the other 2
months.
"Our wood is guaranteed to have 2% more moisture content than yours".

"vmtw" wrote in message
m...
[...]

Hitch

1) I'd get caps on before it starts raining hard. End grain really
soaks up the water and you want to keep the inside dry and rot-free.

2) Unless you're building the deck out of Trex, I'd say it's woodworking.

--
Hitch

-Remove the NOSPAM from my address and you've got SPAM!-

FAQ Marlene & John Schwab Woodworking 2 October 23rd 03 12:47 AM
Good versus Evil Genome Woodworking 8 October 19th 03 02:22 AM
Project time management Philosophy Tom Gardner Metalworking 11 October 5th 03 05:40 PM