Posted to rec.woodworking

Default New Civil War postage stamps

zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
On Sat, 16 Apr 2011 22:29:45 -0400, wrote:

Bill wrote:
Mike Marlow wrote:
Bill wrote:

According to the article: Bullying can occur in any context in which
human beings interact with each other. This includes school, church,
family, the workplace, home and neighborhoods.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bullying

At least YOU know better!

Oh come on Bill - you're a big boy. So there's a social trend to feel
sorry
for one's self and create a convenient victim status for one's self. But
good lord... bullying??? Doesn't that make you somewhat ashamed to
even say
the word?

Yes, it make me laugh. But we're not talking about Me!

I thought you were the one who thought a postage stamp was "belittling"?

If I had died last year, I would still feel the same way! : ) It's not
about me. There--I won't even put my name down this time.

Sam

Posted to rec.woodworking

"John Grossbohlin" wrote in message
m...

"Lobby Dosser" wrote in message
"John Grossbohlin" wrote in
message m...

"Bill" wrote in message

It's too bad I'm not a mail carrier--I might mark some letters "Return
To Sender", along with a diatribe about why I wouldn't deliver them.
; )

Maybe that's why my mail service is TOTALLY BAD.... it's a conspiracy at
the sorting center best I can tell.

Trust me, you have not seen bad mail service! In Portland Oregon the
other day a mail carrier took a dump in some guy's side yard. Yes,
really!

http://www.kgw.com/news/local/Mailma...119879359.html

At least they get their mail.... ;~) I've got my Congressman's office
involved as the PO was not doing anything to resolve the issue... 5 1/2
years now since the problems started.

Do you get junk mail?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Bill" wrote in message
Mike Marlow wrote:
If I caught it correctly (and you can
correct me if I did not...), you are not even that well versed on the
Civil
War, having only read a small amount about it.

I read one 2-3 inch thick book about 5 years ago to learn more. If you
consider that a small amount, than yes I've read only a small amount
recently. I'm sorry to have to quality my credentials for offering an
opinion here (do you have yours posted somewhere?) We will probably have a
better discussion if we don't direct these sorts of questions directly to
each other, but instead offer them to the group for open discussion. We
don't want to put anyone on the defensive, do we (or should we build a
cross?) I will share with you that it is Much Easier to play the critic.

Bill

The stamps Remind people. The stamps may even encourage some to better
understand the war. Read Lincoln's Gettysburg Address. That is, if you are
not down on Lincoln for responding to the attack on Fort Sumter.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill wrote:
Mike Marlow wrote:
If I caught it correctly (and you can
correct me if I did not...), you are not even that well versed on
the Civil War, having only read a small amount about it.

I read one 2-3 inch thick book about 5 years ago to learn more. If you
consider that a small amount, than yes I've read only a small amount
recently. I'm sorry to have to quality my credentials for offering an
opinion here

I'm sorry if I created that impression Bill. That is not at all what I was
trying to say.

(do you have yours posted somewhere?) We will probably
have a better discussion if we don't direct these sorts of questions
directly to each other, but instead offer them to the group for open
discussion. We don't want to put anyone on the defensive, do we (or
should we build a cross?) I will share with you that it is Much Easier to
play the
critic.

The art of conversation includes the ability to direct points to each other,
only without dennegrating one another in the process.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Bill" wrote in message

It's too bad I'm not a mail carrier--I might mark some letters "Return
To Sender", along with a diatribe about why I wouldn't deliver them.
; )

Maybe that's why my mail service is TOTALLY BAD.... it's a conspiracy
at the sorting center best I can tell.

Trust me, you have not seen bad mail service! In Portland Oregon the
other day a mail carrier took a dump in some guy's side yard. Yes,
really!

http://www.kgw.com/news/local/Mailma...119879359.html

At least they get their mail.... ;~) I've got my Congressman's office
involved as the PO was not doing anything to resolve the issue... 5 1/2
years now since the problems started.

Do you get junk mail?

Yup... I get mail every day... but a large percentage of "real" mail never
makes it at all or comes 1-13 months late... The USPS drove me to use the
internet for any and all personal business possible because they are so
unreliable... I didn't renew many of the 30+ subscriptions formerally coming
each month as the periodicals were not arriving reliably. Every time I hear
the USPS blame the internet for their financial woes I think they've got the
causal direction reversed. I wish they'd fold the orgzanization up and let
private industry take over. Private industry would be held accoutable... the
USPS isn't held accountable for the crappy service.

BTW, I could name you a bunch of other people with similar problems, it's
not just me. I'm not paranoid! LOL

Posted to rec.woodworking

J. Clarke wrote:
In , says...

Mike Marlow wrote:
If I caught it correctly (and you can
correct me if I did not...), you are not even that well versed on the Civil
War, having only read a small amount about it.

I read one 2-3 inch thick book about 5 years ago to learn more. If you
consider that a small amount, than yes I've read only a small amount
recently. I'm sorry to have to quality my credentials for offering an
opinion here (do you have yours posted somewhere?) We will probably have
a better discussion if we don't direct these sorts of questions directly
to each other, but instead offer them to the group for open discussion.
We don't want to put anyone on the defensive, do we (or should we build
a cross?) I will share with you that it is Much Easier to play the critic.

Research 101--find an respected source. Then find another credible
source that hates him. Read both. You'll be a long way from having the
whole story, but you'll have much more of it than if you read just one.

I don't think more research would help me change my overall feelings
about the Civil War. I think it's evidence of the "worst that's in
man". To the best of my knowledge, I'm not quoting anything from a book
or anything I read anywhere else. An author with a lot to say probably
wouldn't be as succinct. I offer my opinion cheap (with hope that
others may form their own opinion instead of sweeping the topic under a
rug).

Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 17 Apr 2011 09:32:19 -0400, John Grossbohlin wrote:

I wish they'd fold the
orgzanization up and let private industry take over. Private industry
would be held accoutable... the USPS isn't held accountable for the
crappy service.

Some have crappy service others have great service. I'm in the latter
group. Our carrier has been the same for over 20 years and she does a
great job. You might be surprised at the results you get if you complain
- unless you're the only person complaining.

Some things are better done by private industry, some by government. Way
back before the tea party, a conservative politician in northern Illinois
campaigned on the premise that the only things the feds should do was
raise an army and deliver the mail :-).

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 16 Apr 2011 22:08:59 -0400, Bill wrote:

I read one 2-3 inch thick book about 5 years ago to learn more. If you
consider that a small amount, than yes I've read only a small amount
recently.

Just remember that the winners write the history books :-).

As an example, I consider Jefferson to be a greater president than
Lincoln based on reading something other than textbooks or
popularizations.

If you want to get a good perspective on American history, I suggest:

http://www.journalofamericanhistory.org/

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 17 Apr 2011 13:43:58 -0400, Bill wrote:

I don't think more research would help me change my overall feelings
about the Civil War. I think it's evidence of the "worst that's in
man".

I think there are lots better examples. Stalin, Mao, Hitler, Pol Pot, et
al were a lot worse in my opinion.

And without facts to back it up, an opinion is worthless.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Larry Blanchard wrote:
On Sat, 16 Apr 2011 22:08:59 -0400, Bill wrote:

I read one 2-3 inch thick book about 5 years ago to learn more. If you
consider that a small amount, than yes I've read only a small amount
recently.

Just remember that the winners write the history books :-).

As an example, I consider Jefferson to be a greater president than
Lincoln based on reading something other than textbooks or
popularizations.

If you want to get a good perspective on American history, I suggest:

http://www.journalofamericanhistory.org/

Thanks. I book-marked it to read at my leisure.

Bill
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 17 Apr 2011 19:41:03 +0000, Larry Blanchard wrote:

If you want to get a good perspective on American history, I suggest:

http://www.journalofamericanhistory.org/

Of particular interest is an article on the legality of secession,at:

http://www.historyvortex.org/LegalitySecession.html

Here's a quote which sums up the article:

"If secession was illegal, then the actions of the those eleven Southern
states led to the destruction of the republic as created by our Founding
Fathers, and the South bears ultimate responsibility for the deaths of
the 620,000 Americans who died in the ensuing war. However, if secession
was a legal action, then blame for the aforementioned tragedies can be
placed squarely upon the shoulders of President Abraham Lincoln; the
deification of the putative €śGreat Emancipator€ť can cease, and he can be
forever known as the President who plunged the nation into the bloodiest
conflict in its history. High stakes indeed! (It is interesting to note
that the eradication of slavery remains an unblemished virtuous outcome
of the War for Southern Independence, regardless of where fault may lie
for the wars causation. "

Posted to rec.woodworking

Larry Blanchard wrote:
[...]

FWIW, Not a single word *I* have written depends on any particular
action being legal or illegal, save maybe "in God's eyes". I may have
used the phrase "crime against nature". YMMV.

Bill
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 17 Apr 2011 16:42:46 -0400, Bill wrote:

Larry Blanchard wrote:
On Sun, 17 Apr 2011 19:41:03 +0000, Larry Blanchard wrote:

Bill

Just how long all y'all goan beat that dayud horse, anyway?

--
If only he'd wash his neck, I'd wring it.
-- John Sparrow

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Larry Blanchard" wrote in message
On Sun, 17 Apr 2011 09:32:19 -0400, John Grossbohlin wrote:

I wish they'd fold the
orgzanization up and let private industry take over. Private industry
would be held accoutable... the USPS isn't held accountable for the
crappy service.

Some have crappy service others have great service. I'm in the latter
group. Our carrier has been the same for over 20 years and she does a
great job. You might be surprised at the results you get if you complain
- unless you're the only person complaining.

Some things are better done by private industry, some by government. Way
back before the tea party, a conservative politician in northern Illinois
campaigned on the premise that the only things the feds should do was
raise an army and deliver the mail :-).

It's not a carrier problem.... they consolidated sorting centers and things
went bad at that point. I've filed formal complaints repeatedly over time
and have encouraged others to do so... trying to get others to file a formal
complaint is like pulling teeth. The same pattern occurs every time. They
talk to the carrier. We've told the carrier that we know it's not him (3
different regular ones involved over the years) but management is in denial
that there is a systemic problem.

Yup, national defense was supposed to be the primary function and then Ben
got the PO thing going. ;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

Not about the Civil War stamps, but enough to create another Civil War

I read where the almighty US of A, have issued a new stamp with the almighty
Statue of Liberty on the face,
However, they haven't used the original statue image, but a photo of the
replica in Las Vegas.
Couldn't they find the original statue, was it lost in a snow drift, or lost
in the fog?
Or, maybe, the photographer was too broke from gambling in Las Vegas, so
decided to take a photo of the one there?
Maybe even too drunk on Robatoy's wine , just saw a statue and thought that
was it?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Sun, 17 Apr 2011 16:42:46 -0400, wrote:

Larry Blanchard wrote:
On Sun, 17 Apr 2011 19:41:03 +0000, Larry Blanchard wrote:

Bill

Just how long all y'all goan beat that dayud horse, anyway?

Gosh, if you got a dayud horse that needs beatin', just bring 'em
along... Will try to oblige ya.. Even hang lights on 'em for ya so'es
yous can sees where yer not gonna be going at night.

Sam

--
If only he'd wash his neck, I'd wring it.
-- John Sparrow

Posted to rec.woodworking

George W Frost wrote:
Not about the Civil War stamps, but enough to create another Civil War

I read where the almighty US of A, have issued a new stamp with the almighty
Statue of Liberty on the face,
However, they haven't used the original statue image, but a photo of the
replica in Las Vegas.
Couldn't they find the original statue, was it lost in a snow drift, or lost
in the fog?
Or, maybe, the photographer was too broke from gambling in Las Vegas, so
decided to take a photo of the one there?
Maybe even too drunk on Robatoy's wine , just saw a statue and thought that
was it?

Yeah, I think I heard they grabbed the image from "Google images" by
mistake. What sort of "professionals" are these stamp publishers?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill wrote the following:
George W Frost wrote:
Not about the Civil War stamps, but enough to create another Civil War

I read where the almighty US of A, have issued a new stamp with the
almighty
Statue of Liberty on the face,
However, they haven't used the original statue image, but a photo of the
replica in Las Vegas.
Couldn't they find the original statue, was it lost in a snow drift,
or lost
in the fog?
Or, maybe, the photographer was too broke from gambling in Las Vegas, so
decided to take a photo of the one there?
Maybe even too drunk on Robatoy's wine , just saw a statue and
thought that
was it?

Yeah, I think I heard they grabbed the image from "Google images" by
mistake. What sort of "professionals" are these stamp publishers?

The Las Vegas statue looks better than the real statue.
On a less controversial note, the USPS will honor Helen Hayes, "The
First Lady of the American Theater", with a stamp on April 25th.
This is especially notable for me since I was born and lived in the same
town as Helen, and went to High School with her adopted son, James
(Jamie) MacArthur (Detective Danial Williams 'Danno' on "Hawaii 5-0").
He only spent the 9th grade with us.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 18 Apr 2011 10:14:28 +1000, "George W Frost"
wrote:

Not about the Civil War stamps, but enough to create another Civil War

I read where the almighty US of A, have issued a new stamp with the almighty
Statue of Liberty on the face,
However, they haven't used the original statue image, but a photo of the
replica in Las Vegas.
Couldn't they find the original statue, was it lost in a snow drift, or lost
in the fog?
Or, maybe, the photographer was too broke from gambling in Las Vegas, so
decided to take a photo of the one there?

If you were the photog given the assignment to shoot the Statue of Liberty,
where would you rather spend a week, Hoboken or Vegas?

Maybe even too drunk on Robatoy's wine , just saw a statue and thought that
was it?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 17 Apr 2011 21:19:46 -0400, willshak wrote:

Bill wrote the following:
George W Frost wrote:
[...]

Uh Oh. Don't tell Bill. He'll start ragging on Helen Hays.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
On Sun, 17 Apr 2011 16:34:55 -0400, "J. Clarke"
wrote:

In article , says...

On Sun, 17 Apr 2011 09:32:19 -0400, John Grossbohlin wrote:

I wish they'd fold the
orgzanization up and let private industry take over. Private industry
would be held accoutable... the USPS isn't held accountable for the
crappy service.

Some have crappy service others have great service. I'm in the latter
group. Our carrier has been the same for over 20 years and she does a
great job. You might be surprised at the results you get if you
complain
- unless you're the only person complaining.

Some things are better done by private industry, some by government.
Way
back before the tea party, a conservative politician in northern
Illinois
campaigned on the premise that the only things the feds should do was
raise an army and deliver the mail :-).

Bear in mind that there is no private company that can deliver a package
the size of a first class letter for the price the postal service
charges.

Likely because they're barred from delivering mail. Also note that the
USPS
can't deliver mail for the cost of a first class letter, either.

In my case they don't deliver the mail period... they just "take" the
postage and don't supply any service.... Thus, my mail delivery experience
is like stamp collecting for them... collect money for nothing but a pretty
picture.

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , " wrote:

If you were the photog given the assignment to shoot the Statue of Liberty,
where would you rather spend a week, Hoboken or Vegas?

Hard to imagine that the USPS didn't already have a few file photos of Lady
Liberty, considering that this is far from the first time she's appeared on a
U.S. postage stamp.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
In article ,
" wrote:

If you were the photog given the assignment to shoot the Statue of
Liberty,
where would you rather spend a week, Hoboken or Vegas?

Hard to imagine that the USPS didn't already have a few file photos of
Lady
Liberty, considering that this is far from the first time she's appeared
on a
U.S. postage stamp.

I recall having a 1 cent stamp in my collection of the Statue of Liberty

Posted to rec.woodworking

Naturally, it takes two to tango.

The Federal government already had blockades on the south some
time before talks broke down. They posted troops to prevent trade
with Europe and the Southern states. Machines were only to be in the
north, and finishing product is the northern mills job. Cheap raw
product was bought by the north and they sold finished goods wherever.

That was in the first of the acts of the war. The south got fed up
with being treated like an indentured servant of the north.

Martin

On 4/17/2011 2:54 PM, Larry Blanchard wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

"John Grossbohlin" wrote in
:

wrote in message
On Sun, 17 Apr 2011 16:34:55 -0400, "J. Clarke"
wrote:

In article ,
says...

[...]

No problems here in North Jersey (07410). If indeed mail does not get
delivered although it is properly sent, it should (I think) be a case for
the USPS police ...
It's not as if Saratoga is somewhere in the wild west ...

--
Best regards
Han

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/18/2011 8:00 AM, Han wrote:
"John wrote in
:

wrote in message
On Sun, 17 Apr 2011 16:34:55 -0400, "J. Clarke"
wrote:

In ,
says...

[...]

To my chagrin (right word?), my wife tipped our postal carrier $20 for
Christmas, :O ! I explained that I thought $10 would have been
"plenty" (yeah, I'm my dad's son...). It's hard, and surely not worth
it, to control all of the "leaks"--especially after just buying a few
new router bits. Our service is good and our mail arrives neatly
wrapped up in our junk circulars, rather than just stuffed in the box.
You might try that to see if it changes anything--besides the obvious of
course.

Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 17 Apr 2011 14:42:04 -0700, Larry Jaques wrote:

Just how long all y'all goan beat that dayud horse, anyway?

Teaching history is never beating a dead horse. Every country has its
legends and the US, both north and south, has its share. I try to debunk
them.

If you don't like the civil war topic. how about a little further back?
How many people know that Washington, our great hero, actually fired the
first shots (for the British) in the French and Indian wars - after which
he surrendered. Or that after nobly refusing a salary from the
continental congress he turned in expense accounts far exceeding the
salary he was offered. And that while he supposedly didn't want to be
king, he definitely supported an aristocracy and was horrified at the
thought of democracy.

I could go on but I think you get the point.

BTW, it has been said, and I agree, that the *real* father of our country
was a troika - Paine, Franklin, and Jefferson.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 18 Apr 2011 10:52:56 -0400, Bill wrote:

To my chagrin (right word?), my wife tipped our postal carrier $20 for
Christmas, :O !

I have trouble tipping someone who's already well paid for the job they
do. I've never tipped our carrier but still get great service and she's
always friendly.

I used to tip paperboys when they were still boys but I haven;t seen one
of those in years. Our paper currently gets delivered by car with the
radio going strong at 3AM :-).

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
says...

On 4/18/2011 8:00 AM, Han wrote:
"John wrote in
:

wrote in message
On Sun, 17 Apr 2011 16:34:55 -0400, "J. Clarke"
wrote:

In ,

says...

[...]

Personally I would prefer that the mail not be wrapped in the junk
circulars. I have to go through all that crap to make sure that nothing
important has been missed.

Hell, I'd prefer that the junk circulars go in a separate mailbox with
no bottom and a trashcan under.
Posted to rec.woodworking

J. Clarke wrote the following:
In article ,
says...

On 4/18/2011 8:00 AM, Han wrote:

"John wrote in
:

wrote in message

On Sun, 17 Apr 2011 16:34:55 -0400, "J. Clarke"
wrote:

In ,

says...

[...]

I need junkmail. I burn branches and twigs in my yard and need the kindling.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , willshak@
00hvc.rr.com says...

J. Clarke wrote the following:
In article ,
says...

On 4/18/2011 8:00 AM, Han wrote:

"John wrote in
:

wrote in message

On Sun, 17 Apr 2011 16:34:55 -0400, "J. Clarke"
wrote:

In ,

says...

[...]

One can always pull it out of the trashcan under the mailbox

Posted to rec.woodworking

J. Clarke wrote the following:
In article , willshak@
00hvc.rr.com says...

J. Clarke wrote the following:

In article ,
says...

On 4/18/2011 8:00 AM, Han wrote:

"John wrote in
:

wrote in message

On Sun, 17 Apr 2011 16:34:55 -0400, "J. Clarke"
wrote:

In ,

says...

[...]

I don't want to have my mailman make the decision of what is junk and
what is not..
Right now I have 3 bags of shredded mail that I will use to start a fire
in my burn pit.
I'm just waiting for a good day to do it.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Han" wrote in message
"John Grossbohlin" wrote in
:

wrote in message
On Sun, 17 Apr 2011 16:34:55 -0400, "J. Clarke"
wrote:

In article ,
says...

[...]

I couldn't get the Postal Inspectors to investigate... they didn't even
respond.

Considering that the mail all has the same exact addressing and comes from
myriad sources (banks, financial, insurance, periodicals, fraternal
organizations, schools, local govt and the usual junk) it's a mystery why I
get mail every day but huge volumes of it never make it or come weeks or
months late. The problem is upstream of the carrier and the local PO...
it's at the sorting center(s). The latest "excuse" was the address isn't in
the national 911 database. Funny... the 911 emergency services found it
immediately and described the location exactly. To paraphrase somebody,
"It's the PO stupid!" ...not directed at anyone but the system!

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 18 Apr 2011 16:19:43 +0000 (UTC), Larry Blanchard
wrote:

BTW, it has been said, and I agree, that the *real* father of our country
was a troika - Paine, Franklin, and Jefferson.

But how many *******s did the foursome beget, leaving out the
politicians?

Mark
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , markem618
@hotmail.com says...

wrote:

BTW, it has been said, and I agree, that the *real* father of our country
was a troika - Paine, Franklin, and Jefferson.

But how many *******s did the foursome beget, leaving out the
politicians?

You mean besides half the population of France?

New Civil War postage stamps Bill[_31_] Woodworking 59 April 27th 11 06:51 PM
OT Postage metspitzer Home Repair 33 March 13th 09 11:05 AM
OT. New online postage stamps? The Natural Philosopher UK diy 191 September 26th 06 10:53 PM
New Home U.S. Postage Stamps [email protected] Home Repair 1 September 4th 05 03:01 AM
New Home U.S. Postage Stamps [email protected] Home Ownership 0 September 4th 05 01:59 AM