Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT Postage

On Tue, 10 Mar 2009 17:05:05 -0500, against all advice, something
compelled metspitzer , to say:

Is there a site that shows the current price of a stamp? I send so
few letters that I can't keep up. I just put a 39¢ stamp and two 2¢
stamps on a letter. I hope I don't have to go back to the mailbox
tonight and change it.

http:\\www.usps.gov

--

Real men don't text.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"metspitzer" wrote in message
Is there a site that shows the current price of a stamp? I send so
few letters that I can't keep up. I just put a 39¢ stamp and two 2¢
stamps on a letter. I hope I don't have to go back to the mailbox
tonight and change it.

It's .42 now and going up to .44 I think in May

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
metspitzer wrote:

On Tue, 10 Mar 2009 14:10:16 -0700, Steve Daniels
wrote:

On Tue, 10 Mar 2009 17:05:05 -0500, against all advice, something
compelled metspitzer , to say:

Is there a site that shows the current price of a stamp? I send so
few letters that I can't keep up. I just put a 39¢ stamp and two 2¢
stamps on a letter. I hope I don't have to go back to the mailbox
tonight and change it.

http:\\www.usps.gov

Thanks.

I was there before, but I was hit with information overload.

I tried again and found the price to be 41 I hope.

For this reason I would go to the PO and get a bunch of the "Forever"
stamps. You pay current rates, but they are good "forever" no matter
what happens in the future. Would make a concern about current rates a
non-issue.

Posted to alt.home.repair

metspitzer wrote:
Is there a site that shows the current price of a stamp? I send so
few letters that I can't keep up. I just put a 39¢ stamp and two 2¢
stamps on a letter. I hope I don't have to go back to the mailbox
tonight and change it.

Kind of clumsy site but tells it all:

http://postcalc.usps.gov/default.aspx
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 10, 6:24*pm, Kurt Ullman wrote:
In article ,

wrote:

On Tue, 10 Mar 2009 17:05:05 -0500, against all advice, something
compelled metspitzer , to say:

* * Is there a site that shows the current price of a stamp? *I send so
* * few letters that I can't keep up. *I just put a 39¢ stamp and two 2¢
* * stamps on a letter. *I hope I don't have to go back to the mailbox
* * tonight and change it.

http:\\www.usps.gov

Thanks.

I was there before, but I was hit with information overload.

I tried again and found the price to be 41 *I hope. *

* For this reason I would go to the PO and get a bunch of the "Forever"
stamps. You pay current rates, but they are good "forever" no matter
what happens in the future. Would make a concern about current rates a
non-issue.- Hide quoted text -

Yes someone finally had a good idea. A few years ago, here in Canada
also, we had a situation where every time one stocked up on a few
stamps at the current rate, the rates were within a few months,
increased.

So that meant running back to the PO and getting a bunch of one cent
stamps to add postage! Must'a cost them more to print and stock those
one-centers than the slight loss of revenue?

So now, yes, we have stamps that have no denomination on them. Good
idea. And i asked one postal clerk if they could be used 'any time'
even if rates go up (I guess they'll never go down?) and she said
"Yes".

Along same lines the 'Change of address cards' previously provided by
Canada Post were mailed free. This was appreciated when Canada Post
itself made a wholesale change of our postal box numbers some years
ago.

But getting another bunch of those cards recently just to have on hand
and also redirect the occasional item that still arrives, although the
family has been 'out of the nest' now for many years, found that now
one has to put a postage stamp on them. Ah well! Still got some of the
pre-paid ones on hand!

Also tend to agree a lot of these web sites tend to provide too much
info; sometimes one eventually finds the information one is looking
for by clicking on a link on the extreme edge of the third window
opened. When one would have thought, for example, "How much" or
'Postal Rates' would be one of the first things required!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 10 Mar 2009 17:05:05 -0500, metspitzer
wrote:

Is there a site that shows the current price of a stamp? I send so
few letters that I can't keep up. I just put a 39¢ stamp and two 2¢
stamps on a letter. I hope I don't have to go back to the mailbox
tonight and change it.

Only buy "Forever" stamps. They can be used without additional
postage when stamp rates rise. The USPostal service website has all
the rates, just look.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 10 Mar 2009 17:22:21 -0400, "RBM" wrote:

"metspitzer" wrote in message
.. .
Is there a site that shows the current price of a stamp? I send so
few letters that I can't keep up. I just put a 39¢ stamp and two 2¢
stamps on a letter. I hope I don't have to go back to the mailbox
tonight and change it.

It's .42 now and going up to .44 I think in May

Will the PO check my FICO score?

Hold me at gun point and I may mail something out, needing a stamp.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"metspitzer" wrote in message
Is there a site that shows the current price of a stamp? I send so few
letters that I can't keep up. I just put a 39¢ stamp and two 2¢ stamps on
a letter. I hope I don't have to go back to the mailbox tonight and
change it.

Chatting with our little cow-ville postmaster I asked how many pages could
be put in an envelope for the cost of one stamp. He said that he didn't
know so we did an experiment. From the outset you have to assume that none
of the sheets of 8.5" x 11" paper is any heavier than that found in a copier
machine. At the end of stacking pages on his scale we came up with 8 sheets
of paper. That's what we have gone by for several years now and only
flunked once, that I can recall. I love those little things that simplify
life or are, at least, handy. One more example: The span from the outer
edge of my little finger across my outstretched hand to the outer edge of my
thumb is 7 7/8" - good enough to call it 8" and make a ballpark measurement.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Oren" wrote in message
On Tue, 10 Mar 2009 17:22:21 -0400, "RBM" wrote:

"metspitzer" wrote in message
. ..
Is there a site that shows the current price of a stamp? I send so
few letters that I can't keep up. I just put a 39¢ stamp and two 2¢
stamps on a letter. I hope I don't have to go back to the mailbox
tonight and change it.

It's .42 now and going up to .44 I think in May

Will the PO check my FICO score?

Hold me at gun point and I may mail something out, needing a stamp.

I hear you, but in a small business, it's pretty much unavoidable. If it
goes much higher though, it'll be cheaper to hand deliver all the local
stuff

Posted to alt.home.repair

"C & E" wrote in
:

[...]

Just put it on your weed scale.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 10 Mar 2009 17:22:21 -0400, "RBM" wrote:

"metspitzer" wrote in message
.. .
Is there a site that shows the current price of a stamp? I send so
few letters that I can't keep up. I just put a 39¢ stamp and two 2¢
stamps on a letter. I hope I don't have to go back to the mailbox
tonight and change it.

It's .42 now and going up to .44 I think in May

I heard May 11. You could buy some "forever" stamps before then.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"The government of the United States is not, in
any sense, founded on the Christian religion."

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Tue, 10 Mar 2009 17:05:05 -0500, against all advice, something
compelled metspitzer , to say:

Is there a site that shows the current price of a stamp? I send so
few letters that I can't keep up. I just put a 39¢ stamp and two 2¢
stamps on a letter. I hope I don't have to go back to the mailbox
tonight and change it.

http:\\www.usps.gov

I've gotten the postage rate from that site, but it shouldn't be
nearly that difficult to get the one little piece of information
people need so much.

BTW, I never had any 39¢ stamps. I had too many 37¢ ones and used 2¢
stamps with them.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"The government of the United States is not, in
any sense, founded on the Christian religion."

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 10 Mar 2009 19:37:48 -0400, "RBM" wrote:

"Oren" wrote in message
.. .
On Tue, 10 Mar 2009 17:22:21 -0400, "RBM" wrote:

"metspitzer" wrote in message
Is there a site that shows the current price of a stamp? I send so
few letters that I can't keep up. I just put a 39¢ stamp and two 2¢
stamps on a letter. I hope I don't have to go back to the mailbox
tonight and change it.

It's .42 now and going up to .44 I think in May

Will the PO check my FICO score?

Hold me at gun point and I may mail something out, needing a stamp.

I hear you, but in a small business, it's pretty much unavoidable. If it
goes much higher though, it'll be cheaper to hand deliver all the local
stuff

Pony Express, would be an option.

I cannot recall the use of my last stamped envelope. Maybe the bride
spent nearly a half dollar?

I'm trying to avoid spending. To damn much money.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Is there a site that shows the current price of a stamp? I send so
few letters that I can't keep up. I just put a 39¢ stamp and two 2¢
stamps on a letter. I hope I don't have to go back to the mailbox
tonight and change it.

Only buy "Forever" stamps. They can be used without additional
postage when stamp rates rise. The USPostal service website has all
the rates, just look.

I use in excess of 100 stamps a month. What do I do? And it's not enough
to get bulk rate.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Also tend to agree a lot of these web sites tend to provide too much
info; sometimes one eventually finds the information one is looking
for by clicking on a link on the extreme edge of the third window
opened. When one would have thought, for example, "How much" or
'Postal Rates' would be one of the first things required!

yea they put "see postal rates" bottom left of the first
page (but they keep moving the damn thing)

this will save you about 4 clicks-

http://www.usps.com/prices/first-class-mail-prices.htm

beware of the new envelope size thing that will bump you at
least 50 cents if you mail flat 8.5 x 11 pages! fold them
to fit a 6 x 9 envelope. also if the weight is 3.5 oz or
higher, you get hit with the surcharge. we send mostly
postcards and buy postcard rate stamps, then add 1 2 5 and
10 cent stamps to make the 42/59/76 rate for 1/2/3 oz envelopes.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren wrote:

On Tue, 10 Mar 2009 19:37:48 -0400, "RBM" wrote:

-snip-
I hear you, but in a small business, it's pretty much unavoidable. If it
goes much higher though, it'll be cheaper to hand deliver all the local
stuff

Pony Express, would be an option.

Talk about expensive! Pony express rates ran from $2 to $10 an ounce.
http://www.rfrajola.com/pony/page1_1.htm

That page also says that in 1861 US postage was 10cents- which
adjusted for inflation is about $2.30.

It isn't perfect but the USPS is one of the biggest bargains out
there.

We're 10cents under most of the world including Canada & Europe-
http://www.atms.ch/rates/

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Is there a site that shows the current price of a stamp? I send so
few letters that I can't keep up. I just put a 39¢ stamp and two 2¢
stamps on a letter. I hope I don't have to go back to the mailbox
tonight and change it.

Only buy "Forever" stamps. They can be used without additional
postage when stamp rates rise. The USPostal service website has all
the rates, just look.

I use in excess of 100 stamps a month. What do I do? And it's not enough
to get bulk rate.

If you cannot use free electronic "bill pay" then the answer is...
Only buy "Forever" stamps! They can be used without additional
postage when stamp rates rise!

Posted to alt.home.repair

netnews wrote:

I use in excess of 100 stamps a month. What do I do? And it's not enough
to get bulk rate.

The biggest problem is that first class postage is no longer based soley on
weight. The USPS went dimensional a few years ago, so now you can have a one
ounce letter that requires one of four different rates: (.42/.62/.83/1.17).
Five, if you include a first class postcard.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Red Green wrote:

Just put it on your weed scale.

Triple-beam, eh?

Now, where's that grams to ounce conversion table...
--

JR
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article
,
Kurt Ullman wrote:

go to the PO and get a bunch of the "Forever" stamps.

I did just that. They are NOT available in a roll of 100 but come in
books of 20.
--

JR
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Jim Elbrecht wrote:

the USPS is one of the biggest bargains out there.

Agreed. I still find it amazing that I can mail something and, in a
couple or three days, it'll arrive at the other end of the country for a
mere 42-cents.
--

JR
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Jim Redelfs wrote:

In article ,
Jim Elbrecht wrote:

the USPS is one of the biggest bargains out there.

Agreed. I still find it amazing that I can mail something and, in a
couple or three days, it'll arrive at the other end of the country for a
mere 42-cents.

Depends on where you are sending it. It took almost a month for
three letters to get from NJ and IN to the Florida Keys. Two things
never arrived and even a priority mail package took 10 days. But that
may be more of a indication you are in the Keys than the USPS in general
(g) .

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.snail-mail

Jim Redelfs wrote:

I did just that. They are NOT available in a roll of 100 but come in
books of 20.

****es me off as well. Apparently they are trying to discourage high volume
users from buying these.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.snail-mail

"Robert Neville" wrote in message
Jim Redelfs wrote:

I did just that. They are NOT available in a roll of 100 but come in
books of 20.

****es me off as well. Apparently they are trying to discourage high
volume
users from buying these.

I don't really understand what you're saying. What difference does it make
if they're 5 books of 20 or a roll of 100? I ordered 20 books and had no
problem getting them.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.snail-mail

Jim Redelfs wrote:

I did just that. They are NOT available in a roll of 100 but come in
books of 20.

****es me off as well. Apparently they are trying to discourage high
volume
users from buying these.

I don't really understand what you're saying. What difference does it make
if they're 5 books of 20 or a roll of 100? I ordered 20 books and had no
problem getting them.

you can also get forever stamps at costco for slightly less than $42/100.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.snail-mail

"Cheri" wrote:

I don't really understand what you're saying. What difference does it make
if they're 5 books of 20 or a roll of 100? I ordered 20 books and had no
problem getting them.

Businesses and other volume users tend to use coils. Buying a bag full of
booklets are harder to manage. While a business could buy lots of books, they
probably wouldn't.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.snail-mail

Default Postage

Cheri wrote:
"Robert Neville" wrote:
Jim Redelfs wrote:

I did just that. They are NOT available in a roll of 100 but come in
books of 20.

****es me off as well. Apparently they are trying to discourage high
volume users from buying these.

I don't really understand what you're saying. What difference does it make
if they're 5 books of 20 or a roll of 100? I ordered 20 books and had no
problem getting them.

A high-volume user would be a mail room with machines that apply stamps.
These require coils of 3000 or 10000 stamps with water-activated or
pressure-sensitive adhesives, depending on the setup.

There were hand-held machines that dispensed coils of 100 with water-actived
adhesive. I haven't looked for any that apply stamps in coils with
pressure-sensitive adhesive, but I suppose they must be manufactured.

Years ago, the post office and office supply stores used to give away
dispensers for coils of 100 stamps with water-activated adhesive. The
post office sells one in a street collection box design for $11.11,
hardly worth it.

Stamps with pressure-sensitive adhesives require a backing, so they
don't fit in older dispensers.

According to http://shop.usps.com/ Stamps Coils, there are still
coils of 100, 3000, or 10000 stamps with pressure sensitive adhesive in a
variety of denominations. There is one coil of 3000 with water activated
adhesive. There are no coils of Forever Stamps.

Forever Stamps come in only the Liberty Bell design, pressure-sensitive
adhesive, double-sided booklet of 20 or in a package of 5 booklets.

I agree with the OP that Forever Stamps are not being marketed to
high-volume users.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.snail-mail

In article ,
"Adam H. Kerman" wrote:

Cheri wrote:
"Robert Neville" wrote:
Jim Redelfs wrote:

[...]

What would be the advantage to a coil of 10,000 stamps, over a postage
meter? I assumed all high volume mailers had the meters.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.snail-mail

Smitty Two wrote:

What would be the advantage to a coil of 10,000 stamps, over a postage
meter? I assumed all high volume mailers had the meters.

If the letters are identical weight, the cheapest way to pay postage is
with a permit imprint. Postage meters are handy for flats and packages.

It's all about image. Someone who works out of his home, sending no more
than a handful of business letters a day, may use a postage meter to
give the impression to his correspondents that he employs a large staff.
On the other hand, an impersonal marketing campaign makes the envelopes
more personal by using stamps. The additional expense of applying stamps
works (not to mention that you've probably paid for postage well in
advance of the mailing) because it gets a few more potential customers
to open the envelope.

Nothing says "bulk rate" and therefore "junk mail" like a permit imprint.

Permit imprint mailings have another advantage: If you really want to
pay for postage at the last minute, you can do it as late as the time
you present the mailing. Although permit users often use advance deposit
accounts.

Postage meter companies make more money by taking money in advance than
in meter rental fees. They also charge customers fees to give them their
money in advance! Those postage-by-phone and by-Internet recharges
are also profitable.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Red Green wrote:

-snip-
Once again, Google is your friend. Many don't know you can just type any
conversion request into the Google search bar and it does it. It does
just about anything.

1 oz to grams

1 ounce = 28.3495231 grams

I tried:
nickel bag to grams
but it didn't fly.

They'd need to work in an inflation calculator for that to work.
A 1960s nickel weighed a lot more than today's. [and a 1969s
Vietnamese 'nickel' weighed nearly an ounce. . . or so I've heard.g]

Jim