Posted to rec.woodworking

Default New Civil War postage stamps

What an embarrassment. Celebrating carnage and just how horribly people
are capable of treating each other! 150 year Celebration??? I pass. YMMV.

Bill
Posted to rec.woodworking

Default OT New Civil War postage stamps

On 4/12/2011 12:26 PM, Bill wrote:

What an embarrassment. Celebrating carnage and just how horribly people
are capable of treating each other! 150 year Celebration??? I pass. YMMV.

Bill

Sorry, I forget to add: "OT". I just added it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/12/11 12:33 PM, Bill wrote:
On 4/12/2011 12:26 PM, Bill wrote:

What an embarrassment. Celebrating carnage and just how horribly people
are capable of treating each other! 150 year Celebration??? I pass. YMMV.

Bill

Sorry, I forget to add: "OT". I just added it.

too late, you must now go any and a Festool as your penalty. :-)

--
Froz...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/12/11 12:57 PM, FrozenNorth wrote:
On 4/12/11 12:33 PM, Bill wrote:
On 4/12/2011 12:26 PM, Bill wrote:

What an embarrassment. Celebrating carnage and just how horribly people
are capable of treating each other! 150 year Celebration??? I pass.
YMMV.

Bill

Sorry, I forget to add: "OT". I just added it.

too late, you must now go any and a Festool as your penalty. :-)

/s/any and/and buy/

--
Froz...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/12/2011 10:26 AM, Bill wrote:

What an embarrassment. Celebrating carnage and just how horribly people
are capable of treating each other! 150 year Celebration??? I pass. YMMV.

I haven't seen them. Do they "celebrate" or rather "commemorate"? We
have Memorial Day. It doesn't celebrate our fallen soldiers, it
commemorates their sacrifice.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/12/2011 1:42 PM, Just Wondering wrote:
On 4/12/2011 10:26 AM, Bill wrote:

What an embarrassment. Celebrating carnage and just how horribly people
are capable of treating each other! 150 year Celebration??? I pass. YMMV.

I haven't seen them. Do they "celebrate" or rather "commemorate"? We
have Memorial Day. It doesn't celebrate our fallen soldiers, it
commemorates their sacrifice.

Commemorate:

(1) Recall and show respect for (someone or something) in a ceremony

(2) to serve as a memorial or reminder of:

(3) to make honorable mention of.

Which do you like? All 3 have too much solemnity for my taste.
To my mind, and admittedly, I've read only 1 thick book on the subject,
it was an atrocity.

Bill
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/12/2011 1:42 PM, Just Wondering wrote:
On 4/12/2011 10:26 AM, Bill wrote:

What an embarrassment. Celebrating carnage and just how horribly people
are capable of treating each other! 150 year Celebration??? I pass. YMMV.

I haven't seen them. Do they "celebrate" or rather "commemorate"? We
have Memorial Day. It doesn't celebrate our fallen soldiers, it
commemorates their sacrifice.

Yep, a bunch of sacrifice which seems would not have been necessary,
save for greed/hate.
Posted to rec.woodworking

What an idiot.

Nuff said.

On Apr 12, 9:26*am, Bill wrote:
What an embarrassment. Celebrating carnage and just how horribly people
are capable of *treating each other! 150 year Celebration??? *I pass. YMMV.

Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Just Wondering" wrote in message
On 4/12/2011 10:26 AM, Bill wrote:

What an embarrassment. Celebrating carnage and just how horribly people
are capable of treating each other! 150 year Celebration??? I pass. YMMV.

I haven't seen them. Do they "celebrate" or rather "commemorate"? We
have Memorial Day. It doesn't celebrate our fallen soldiers, it
commemorates their sacrifice.

Our Memorial Day in OZ is November 11
Remembrance Day
Veterans Day
Armistice Day
Whatever you call it, it is for the remembrance of fallen soldiers
and also for the celebration for the ones who returned
of which there are not many left

Posted to rec.woodworking

SonomaProducts.com wrote:
What an idiot.

Nuff said.

All the room I left for you to express an alternative viewpoint and that
is all you could come up with? Go buy some stamps!

On Apr 12, 9:26 am, wrote:
What an embarrassment. Celebrating carnage and just how horribly people
are capable of treating each other! 150 year Celebration??? I pass. YMMV.

Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Bill" wrote in message

What an embarrassment. Celebrating carnage and just how horribly people
are capable of treating each other! 150 year Celebration??? I pass.
YMMV.

Bill

Perhaps you should be embarrassed. You don't celebrate, you commemorate.
You also learn history and, hopefully, gain enough knowledge so you don't
repeat it.

I'll be sure to buy and save some of the stamps to pass on a bit of history
so my grandkids can learn from it too.

Our lives are shaped by the thoughts, speech, and actions of others we come
across, both in life and in history. The people on both side were
passionate about their reasons to fight. If you study the war and the
participants, you can become a better person with better views of how to
live with your fellow man. Read some of the letters from the soldiers to
their families. You don't see such eloquence today.

You are missing so much.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

"Bill" wrote in message

What an embarrassment. Celebrating carnage and just how horribly
people are capable of treating each other! 150 year Celebration??? I
pass. YMMV.

Bill

Perhaps you should be embarrassed. You don't celebrate, you commemorate.
You also learn history and, hopefully, gain enough knowledge so you
don't repeat it.

I'll be sure to buy and save some of the stamps to pass on a bit of
history so my grandkids can learn from it too.

I think the stamps send the wrong message. Certainly putting civil war
generals on the stamps sends the wrong message (IMO). Put some bloody
cotton bales on the stamps instead!

Our lives are shaped by the thoughts, speech, and actions of others we
come across, both in life and in history. The people on both side were
passionate about their reasons to fight. If you study the war and the
participants, you can become a better person with better views of how to
live with your fellow man. Read some of the letters from the soldiers to
their families. You don't see such eloquence today.

You are missing so much.

I haven't neglected learned a little about it. That's how I got my
present understanding--certainly not from the popular culture. I'm not a
know-it-all. I'm closer to being the opposite. I just know what I know,
and I'm taking it from there. Most people appear to be apathetic (about
it). Analogous to this, virtually everyone commenting about Lew's price
of gas posts commented with regard to how it would affect him or her
directly. I have read some of the letters you referred to and I am not
ambivalent about how I feel about the civil war. You don't need to
visit a battlefield to find eloquence. One reason you don't find the
same sort of eloquence these days is that the recipient no longer has to
wait on the pony express to receive message. The cost of postage has
gone way down(look at my cost of delivering this message)!

You still think I am "missing so much" (you are, of course, entitled to
your opinion)?

Bill
Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill wrote:
Analogous to this, virtually everyone commenting about Lew's price
of gas posts commented with regard to how it would affect him or her
directly.

I rescind this. But, IIRC, alot of them were in this category.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Bill" wrote in message
On 4/12/2011 1:42 PM, Just Wondering wrote:
On 4/12/2011 10:26 AM, Bill wrote:

What an embarrassment. Celebrating carnage and just how horribly people
are capable of treating each other! 150 year Celebration??? I pass.
YMMV.

I haven't seen them. Do they "celebrate" or rather "commemorate"? We
have Memorial Day. It doesn't celebrate our fallen soldiers, it
commemorates their sacrifice.

Commemorate:

(1) Recall and show respect for (someone or something) in a ceremony

(2) to serve as a memorial or reminder of:

(3) to make honorable mention of.

Which do you like? All 3 have too much solemnity for my taste.
To my mind, and admittedly, I've read only 1 thick book on the subject, it
was an atrocity.

Bill

"The world will little note, nor long remember what we say here, but it can
never forget what they did here." A. Lincoln from the Gettysburg Address.

How do we "never forget", if we are not reminded?

--
Ever wonder why doctors, dentists and lawyers have to Practice so much? Ever
wonder why you let them Practice on You?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"George W Frost" wrote in message
ond.com...

"Just Wondering" wrote in message
On 4/12/2011 10:26 AM, Bill wrote:

What an embarrassment. Celebrating carnage and just how horribly people
are capable of treating each other! 150 year Celebration??? I pass.
YMMV.

I haven't seen them. Do they "celebrate" or rather "commemorate"? We
have Memorial Day. It doesn't celebrate our fallen soldiers, it
commemorates their sacrifice.

Our Memorial Day in OZ is November 11
Remembrance Day
Veterans Day
Armistice Day
Whatever you call it, it is for the remembrance of fallen soldiers
and also for the celebration for the ones who returned
of which there are not many left

Surely many from Korea and Viet Nam?

--
Ever wonder why doctors, dentists and lawyers have to Practice so much? Ever
wonder why you let them Practice on You?

Posted to rec.woodworking

All the room I left for you to express an alternative viewpoint and that
is all you could come up with? *Go buy some stamps!

I think idiot says it all.
Posted to rec.woodworking

SonomaProducts.com wrote:

All the room I left for you to express an alternative viewpoint and that
is all you could come up with? Go buy some stamps!

I think idiot says it all.

troll.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lobby Dosser" wrote in message
"George W Frost" wrote in message
ond.com...

"Just Wondering" wrote in message
On 4/12/2011 10:26 AM, Bill wrote:

What an embarrassment. Celebrating carnage and just how horribly people
are capable of treating each other! 150 year Celebration??? I pass.
YMMV.

I haven't seen them. Do they "celebrate" or rather "commemorate"? We
have Memorial Day. It doesn't celebrate our fallen soldiers, it
commemorates their sacrifice.

Our Memorial Day in OZ is November 11
Remembrance Day
Veterans Day
Armistice Day
Whatever you call it, it is for the remembrance of fallen soldiers
and also for the celebration for the ones who returned
of which there are not many left

Surely many from Korea and Viet Nam?

Yes, but when they first began Remembrance Day on November 11, it was the
Anniversary of Armistice Day in Europe after WW1

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Bill" wrote in message
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

"Bill" wrote in message

[...]

Bill, if you are advocating not using The American Civil War on stamps,
then you should also be advocating not using any detail of the Civil War,
nor any mention of any conflicts with the first residents of America in any
movie.
Hollywood has survived a lot by using stories of battles between our
ancestors.
How many movies have there been made which depict the American Civil War ?
Frankly Bill, you don't give a damn

Posted to rec.woodworking

George W Frost wrote:
wrote in message
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

wrote in message

[...]

That was Scarlett, not me. I don't give a damn about Hollywood. I'll
take a bird and a tree in a green meadow or a fish in pure water over a
movie anyday. Are you a movie director, or something--what is this
Hollywood thing? I care more about nature which evidently is in need of
my support more than the civil war. Lots of folks act like the Earth is
theirs to do with as they please when, at least from my point of view,
they are only guests... Mr. George, what do you stand for?

Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Bill" wrote in message
George W Frost wrote:
wrote in message

?

Frankly Bill, you don't give a damn

That was Scarlett, not me. I don't give a damn about Hollywood. I'll take
a bird and a tree in a green meadow or a fish in pure water over a movie
anyday. Are you a movie director, or something--what is this Hollywood
thing? I care more about nature which evidently is in need of my support
more than the civil war. Lots of folks act like the Earth is theirs to do
with as they please when, at least from my point of view, they are only
guests... Mr. George, what do you stand for?

Bill

You were the one who complained about the Civil War stamp issue Bill
then I said there were movies about the Civil War, so why protest about
stamps without complaining about the movies ?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill wrote:
What an embarrassment. Celebrating carnage and just how horribly
people are capable of treating each other! 150 year Celebration??? I
pass. YMMV.

Around here, we call it "the recent unplesantness." Sometimes "our second
war of independence."

But I know what you mean.

As an aside, there's an awful lot of gilding on the event. Often overlooked
is the economic reason for the War of Northern Aggression. In 1860, cotton
accounted for 40% of the country's exports. For the United States ?to lose
that source of revenue would be a tremendous burden for the North to bear.

I'm sure this factored in to some northerners' thinking.

Posted to rec.woodworking

George W Frost wrote:
wrote in message
George W Frost wrote:
wrote in message
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

wrote in message

[...]

I guess it would depend on the movie.
You have to "choose your battles"! ; )

Bill
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 12, 11:27*pm, Bill wrote:

Troll? You are truly an idiot. I am on here all the time making
relevant (and occasionally intelligent) postings and replies. Here is
the first sentence of the definition of "Troll (Internet)" from
wikipedia... sound familiar.

"In Internet slang, a troll is a user who posts inflammatory,
extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an
online discussion forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent
of provoking other users into a desired emotional response[1] or of
otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.[2]"

I'd like to upgrade my "idiot" comment to asshole at this time.

SonomaProducts.com wrote:

All the room I left for you to express an alternative viewpoint and that
is all you could come up with? *Go buy some stamps!

I think idiot says it all.

troll.

Posted to rec.woodworking

SonomaProducts.com wrote:
On Apr 12, 11:27 pm, wrote:

Troll? You are truly an idiot. I am on here all the time making
relevant (and occasionally intelligent) postings and replies. Here is
the first sentence of the definition of "Troll (Internet)" from
wikipedia... sound familiar.

"In Internet slang, a troll is a user who posts inflammatory,
extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an
online discussion forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent
of provoking other users into a desired emotional response[1] or of
otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.[2]"

I'd like to upgrade my "idiot" comment to asshole at this time.

I don't think it's fair for you to assess yourself. In this case, you
acted like an idiot (or a troll--I don't discriminate). Either way,
please go brighten up someone else's life! Go collect stamps, maybe.

Bill

SonomaProducts.com wrote:

All the room I left for you to express an alternative viewpoint and that
is all you could come up with? Go buy some stamps!

I think idiot says it all.

troll.

Posted to rec.woodworking

[...]

IIRC, there are none of them left in UK or USA. And the WWII bunch are going
fast ...

"The lamps are going out ..."

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Bill" wrote
I think the stamps send the wrong message. Certainly putting civil war
generals on the stamps sends the wrong message (IMO). Put some bloody
cotton bales on the stamps instead!

I haven't neglected learned a little about it. That's how I got my
present understanding--certainly not from the popular culture. I'm not a
know-it-all. I'm closer to being the opposite. I just know what I know,
and I'm taking it from there. Most people appear to be apathetic (about
it). You still think I am "missing so much" (you are, of course, entitled
to your opinion)?

Bill

You seem to be an intelligent and educated person, but you just have some
sort of hang up on the Civil War or commemorative postage stamps. I'm sure
that many will look at this sad history in the wrong way, but it is an
opportunity to teach what NOT to do if handled properly.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/14/2011 6:01 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

"Bill" wrote
I think the stamps send the wrong message. Certainly putting civil war
generals on the stamps sends the wrong message (IMO). Put some bloody
cotton bales on the stamps instead!

I haven't neglected learned a little about it. That's how I got my
present understanding--certainly not from the popular culture. I'm not
a know-it-all. I'm closer to being the opposite. I just know what I
know, and I'm taking it from there. Most people appear to be apathetic
(about it). You still think I am "missing so much" (you are, of
course, entitled to your opinion)?

Bill

You seem to be an intelligent and educated person, but you just have
some sort of hang up on the Civil War or commemorative postage stamps.

Yes, I have a "hang up" about hate and greed and, in particular, the
civil war. Maybe it's just a (my) personal problem? SamanthaProducts
sure thinks so.

I'm sure that many will look at this sad history in the wrong way, but
it is an opportunity to teach what NOT to do if handled properly.

Yes, One needs to wonder which side they are on when they put civil war
generals on their stamps. Opportunity lost. Discussing it (here) is
good though.

Bill
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
says...

[...]

"They" are on the side of making money for the postal service.
Commemorative stamps are not about deciding whether the events depicted
are "good" or "bad", they are about whether they will sell or not.

You do understand that the whole point of a commemorative stamp is that
the collector puts it in a stamp album and the postal service never has
to deliver the service that the purchaser paid for do you not?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/14/2011 12:42 PM, J. Clarke wrote:
In ,
says...

On 4/14/2011 6:01 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

wrote
[...]

I surely agree with your first point (making money) and your second
point is a special case of that, though, admittedly, I wasn't thinking
of that strategy.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill wrote:

You seem to be an intelligent and educated person, but you just have
some sort of hang up on the Civil War or commemorative postage
stamps.

Yes, I have a "hang up" about hate and greed and, in particular, the
civil war. Maybe it's just a (my) personal problem? SamanthaProducts
sure thinks so.

I'm sure that many will look at this sad history in the wrong way,
but it is an opportunity to teach what NOT to do if handled properly.

Yes, One needs to wonder which side they are on when they put civil
war generals on their stamps. Opportunity lost. Discussing it
(here) is good though.

I share your pain. Sure, our side lost, but that's not a reason to be
bitter. Time will prove us correct.

Lift your chin, Bill. Be proud. The righteous will ultimately triumph.

Posted to rec.woodworking

HeyBub wrote:
Bill wrote:

You seem to be an intelligent and educated person, but you just have
some sort of hang up on the Civil War or commemorative postage
stamps.

Yes, I have a "hang up" about hate and greed and, in particular, the
civil war. Maybe it's just a (my) personal problem? SamanthaProducts
sure thinks so.

I'm sure that many will look at this sad history in the wrong way,
but it is an opportunity to teach what NOT to do if handled properly.

Yes, One needs to wonder which side they are on when they put civil
war generals on their stamps. Opportunity lost. Discussing it
(here) is good though.

I share your pain. Sure, our side lost, but that's not a reason to be
bitter. Time will prove us correct.

Lift your chin, Bill. Be proud. The righteous will ultimately triumph.

And, if Mr Obama and friends don't produce a little joy, seeing a little
"civil discord" on the evening news wouldn't surprise me at all.... I
wonder if you can get a buzz from drinking tea made out of commemorative
civil war stamps and hot water? Watch for me on the evening news...lol

Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking

"HeyBub" wrote

I share your pain. Sure, our side lost, but that's not a reason to be
bitter.

Interesting comment that reminds me of the current situation. I've heard of
people referring to "our side" when they had absolutely no family in the US
at the time of the Civil War. It just happened that their ancestors, often
from Europe, settled in a particular state and a hundred years later, those
people are taking sides based on where they happen to live. Happens with
sport teams too, so I' guess I should not be surprised.

Posted to rec.woodworking

in 1496677 20110415 024358 "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:
"HeyBub" wrote

I share your pain. Sure, our side lost, but that's not a reason to be
bitter.

Interesting comment that reminds me of the current situation. I've heard of
people referring to "our side" when they had absolutely no family in the US
at the time of the Civil War.

Also happens with people taking the side of the rebels in 1776.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/14/2011 1:04 PM, HeyBub wrote:
Bill wrote:

You seem to be an intelligent and educated person, but you just have
some sort of hang up on the Civil War or commemorative postage
stamps.

Yes, I have a "hang up" about hate and greed and, in particular, the
civil war. Maybe it's just a (my) personal problem? SamanthaProducts
sure thinks so.

I'm sure that many will look at this sad history in the wrong way,
but it is an opportunity to teach what NOT to do if handled properly.

Yes, One needs to wonder which side they are on when they put civil
war generals on their stamps. Opportunity lost. Discussing it
(here) is good though.

I share your pain. Sure, our side lost,

You're picking sides on a conflict that ended a century (more or less)
before you were even born? What's that about? Does that mean you're in
favor of letting a state make slavery legal?

but that's not a reason to be bitter. Time will prove us correct.

Lift your chin, Bill. Be proud. The righteous will ultimately triumph.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Just Wondering wrote:

I share your pain. Sure, our side lost,

You're picking sides on a conflict that ended a century (more or less)
before you were even born? What's that about? Does that mean you're
in favor of letting a state make slavery legal?

The War of Northern Aggression initially had nothing to do with slavery. For
example, Lincoln's "Emancipation Proclamation" was issued three years after
the war began and only abolished slavery in the states in rebellion. Yes,
those states still a part of the Union were not affected by the decree
(Maryland, Delaware, D.C., Oklahoma Territory, New Mexico Territory, Utah
Territory, etc.).

"That on the first day of January, in the year of our Lord one thousand
eight hundred and sixty-three, all persons held as slaves within any State
or designated part of a State, the people whereof shall then be in rebellion
against the United States, shall be then, thenceforward, and forever
free..."

And, no, I'm not in favor of a state legalizing slavery - I was just
correcting the common, but wrong, notion that slavery, per se, was the
primary cause of the North invading the South.

Posted to rec.woodworking

George W Frost wrote the following:
[...]

Same here in the US. It was called Armistice Day in my youth. After
WWII, it was changed to Veterans Day.
Memorial Day is a separate holiday. It started in 1868 as Decoration Day
and was to commemorate the soldiers on both sides of the US Civil War.
After that, It included all soldiers of all wars.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 15 Apr 2011 07:46:30 +0000, Bob Martin wrote:

nteresting comment that reminds me of the current situation. I've heard
of people referring to "our side" when they had absolutely no family in
the US at the time of the Civil War.

Also happens with people taking the side of the rebels in 1776.

Ain't that the truth! I remember reading somewhere that most of the
population during the revolution didn't give a hoot which side won. That
seems to be true of most, if not all, revolutions.

Civil wars, OTOH ...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 15 Apr 2011 06:36:02 -0500, HeyBub wrote:

And, no, I'm not in favor of a state legalizing slavery - I was just
correcting the common, but wrong, notion that slavery, per se, was the
primary cause of the North invading the South.

There is a story which may or may not be true, that Lincoln was asked at
a party "Mr President, why not just let the South go?" He supposedly
replied "Let the South go??? Where then would we get our revenues?"

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/15/2011 5:36 AM, HeyBub wrote:
Just Wondering wrote:

[...]

So when you say "Sure, our side lost," what do you mean by "our side"?
Does that mean you're in favor of a state engaging in civil war against
the nation? Just what was it that makes you take the position that the
Confederate states are "your side"?

OT Postage metspitzer Home Repair 33 March 13th 09 11:05 AM
OT. New online postage stamps? The Natural Philosopher UK diy 191 September 26th 06 10:53 PM
New Home U.S. Postage Stamps [email protected] Home Repair 1 September 4th 05 03:01 AM
New Home U.S. Postage Stamps [email protected] Home Ownership 0 September 4th 05 01:59 AM
MAKE £5,000 WITH JUST £3 AND 6 STAMPS!! [email protected] Home Ownership 0 July 25th 05 01:10 AM