Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Best Off the Shelf Cabinets?

What web sites offer medium high quality cabinets and low prices? I have
a few applications where I want to compare custom against making due with
something off the shelf.

For material I want a strong plywood with a high quality real wood veneer.
No fiberboard!!!!

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 27, 9:15*pm, "W" wrote:
What web sites offer medium high quality cabinets and low prices? * * I have
a few applications where I want to compare custom against making due with
something off the shelf.

For material I want a strong plywood with a high quality real wood veneer..
No fiberboard!!!!

You ask odd questions, or at least phrase them oddly.
No fiberboard - got it. What about particle board?
'Strong' plywood? Is that a grade?
Medium high quality and low prices. All of that is subjective and
provides no helpful information.

Check out cabparts.com or some such and roll you own and see if that
works for you.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"W" wrote in message
What web sites offer medium high quality cabinets and low prices? I
have
a few applications where I want to compare custom against making due with
something off the shelf.

For material I want a strong plywood with a high quality real wood veneer.
No fiberboard!!!!

First off custom may be an inferior product compared to an off the shelf
product from a big box store.
All things being equal, Quality custom will always be more expensive to buy
than off the shelf. Almost with out exception off the shelf items are
going to have the majority of their quality in the face frames, doors and
drawer "fronts". Behind what you see it is anybodies guess as to what
matrerial and what quality it will be.

So basically you probably need to decide if you want to pay for a quality
custom job or take a gamble with what you end up off the shelf. At least
with custom you can specify the materials and hopefully get a good pro to do
the work.

Having said all that I build lots and lots of cabinets. I am currently
having a home built and it is going to have the "off the shelf cabinets" but
not by choice. If the builder would let me build and install my own
cabinets I would be better off.

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , lcb11211
@swbell.dotnet says...

"W" wrote in message
[...]

Tell him to use the cheapest Ikeas and to charge you the Ikea price and
not a penny more and then you rip then out and do whatever you like and
the Ikeas will do fine for shop or garage or whatever cabinets.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 28, 5:57*pm, "Leon" wrote:

Having said all that I build lots and lots of cabinets. *I am currently
having a home built and it is going to have the "off the shelf cabinets" but
not by choice. *If the builder would let me build and install my own
cabinets I would be better off.

That's an odd one. Maybe he's figuring that you'd delay him, delaying
getting the CO and delaying him getting his final payment.

Ask him if he'll install the cabinets with the minimum number of
screws to 'tack' them in place, and not screw the countertop down.
After the CO, pull that stuff and donate it to a local Habitat for
Humanity Restore. They'll come and pick it up and you can take the
deduction for the full cost of the cabinets (have the contractor give
you the invoice).

Posted to rec.woodworking

For material I want a strong plywood with a high quality real wood veneer.
No fiberboard!!!!

Just go to home depot or lowes. They have various grades, good retun
and warrenty policies, you can touch and feel what you are gona buy
and they have fair prices since they do such huge volume.

Posted to rec.woodworking

I am not a builder, so I don't know the precise language to use to identify
different building materials and construction techniques.

For me particle board and fiberboard are both equally low quality products,
and I want to avoid both. I asked my cabinet maker, and he said that he is
using a birch plywood that is A grade on top and C grade on bottom (but he
thought it was actually a B grade). That is the same quality of
construction I would want to buy in an off the shelf product, even if it
cost more than fiberboard or particle board. Does that help you identify
the type of construction I want?

I am looking for off the shelf, completed cabinets, made of birch or equal
quality plywood, with real wood veneers. Does any web site sell those?

"RicodJour" wrote in message
On Oct 27, 9:15 pm, "W" wrote:
What web sites offer medium high quality cabinets and low prices? I have
a few applications where I want to compare custom against making due with
something off the shelf.

For material I want a strong plywood with a high quality real wood veneer.
No fiberboard!!!!

You ask odd questions, or at least phrase them oddly.
No fiberboard - got it. What about particle board?
'Strong' plywood? Is that a grade?
Medium high quality and low prices. All of that is subjective and
provides no helpful information.

Check out cabparts.com or some such and roll you own and see if that
works for you.

Posted to rec.woodworking

W wrote:
I am not a builder, so I don't know the precise language to use to identify
different building materials and construction techniques.

For me particle board and fiberboard are both equally low quality products,
and I want to avoid both. I asked my cabinet maker, and he said that he is
using a birch plywood that is A grade on top and C grade on bottom (but he
thought it was actually a B grade). That is the same quality of
construction I would want to buy in an off the shelf product, even if it
cost more than fiberboard or particle board. Does that help you identify
the type of construction I want?

I am looking for off the shelf, completed cabinets, made of birch or equal
quality plywood, with real wood veneers. Does any web site sell those?

W, This was very confusing to read since you top-posted. Good luck with
your cabinets.

B.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message

If the builder would let me build and install my own cabinets I would be
better off.

Hard to believe that Swing would do you that way.

Dave in Houston

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 29, 12:11*am, "Dave in Texas" wrote:

If the builder would let me build and install my own cabinets I would be
better off.

* * Hard to believe that Swing would do you that way.

Dave in Houston

****** ROTFLMAO !!!! *******

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Bill" wrote in message
W wrote:
[...]

The reason I top posted was that my news application has a bug and on some
posts it doesn't quote the text I am responding to. It would be even more
confusing to have my response run on together with the original text,
undifferentiated.

The message was very small in any case, so really it was not that hard to
read both parts.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/29/2010 2:45 PM, W wrote:
wrote in message
W wrote:
[...]

How do you know how much time I or anyone else spent trying to decipher
your message?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Bill" wrote in message
On 10/29/2010 2:45 PM, W wrote:
wrote in message
W wrote:
[...]

I went back to the message you objected to and turned on a stopwatch. I
read every word carefully, slowly, deliberately, and it took me 24 seconds.
Assuming someone was confused by the arrangement, I guess that might be a
minute. So to answer the question: I know because I tested it objectively.

But the other point is that if a message confronts you that you don't like -
for any reason including layout - you also have an option to just ignore it.
I do normally bottom post, and the only times I top post are when the
newsreader is not helping to arrange quoted text.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"RicodJour" wrote in message

On Oct 27, 9:15 pm, "W" wrote:

What web sites offer medium high quality cabinets and low prices? I have
a few applications where I want to compare custom against making due with
something off the shelf.

For material I want a strong plywood with a high quality real wood veneer.
No fiberboard!!!!

You ask odd questions, or at least phrase them oddly.
No fiberboard - got it. *What about particle board?
'Strong' plywood? *Is that a grade?
Medium high quality and low prices. *All of that is subjective and
provides no helpful information.

Check out cabparts.com or some such and roll you own and see if that
works for you.

Why don't you just have "your cabinetmaker" manufacture the cabs? He's
obviously invested some time and interest in your project. Even if
he's 25% -50% higher it seems as though you would be a lot better off.
I recently had a client tell me that my prices were higher than Ikea,
and in my nicest, most concerned voice I told her that you get what
you pay for and that I use "green" products as much as I can with low
VOC finishes. That sold the kitchen right then and there.

RP
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 28, 7:54*pm, "W" wrote:
I am not a builder, so I don't know the precise language to use to identify
different building materials and construction techniques.

The sides of a cabinet are called gables. There, that will get you
started.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 29, 1:11*am, "Dave in Texas" wrote:
"Leon" wrote in message

If the builder would let me build and install my own cabinets I would be
better off.

* * Hard to believe that Swing would do you that way.

Dave in Houston

Zinggggggggggggggggggg
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 28, 7:36*pm, "SonomaProducts.com" wrote:
For material I want a strong plywood with a high quality real wood veneer.
No fiberboard!!!!

Just go to home depot or lowes. They have various grades, good retun
and warrenty policies, you can touch and feel what you are gona buy
and they have fair prices since they do such huge volume.

I have installed countertops on many DIY projects for people who took
the time to put it all together with some thought. I have seen IKEA
and Home Despot off-the-shelf kitchens that were a lot better than
some shlock I had to put MY nice work onto made by 'custom
professional' impostors.
Most of the guys here will agree that it is all about the installation.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"RP" wrote in message
Why don't you just have "your cabinetmaker" manufacture the cabs? He's
obviously invested some time and interest in your project. Even if
he's 25% -50% higher it seems as though you would be a lot better off.
I recently had a client tell me that my prices were higher than Ikea,
and in my nicest, most concerned voice I told her that you get what
you pay for and that I use "green" products as much as I can with low
VOC finishes. That sold the kitchen right then and there.

I did buy cabinets from the cabinet maker. It was he who suggested that
for the simpler cabinets - such as those in a bathroom - that I might be
better with off the shelf. But he didn't know of any website that sold
frames that were a higher quality birch plywood construction.

So I'm investigating using a mixture of custom and off the shelf.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 30, 3:57*pm, "W" wrote:
"RP" wrote in message

Why don't you just have "your cabinetmaker" manufacture the cabs? He's
obviously invested some time and interest in your project. Even if
he's 25% -50% higher it seems as though you would be a lot better off.
I recently had a client tell me that my prices were higher than Ikea,
and in my nicest, most concerned voice I told her that you get what
you pay for and that I use "green" products as much as I can with low
VOC finishes. That sold the kitchen right then and there.

I did buy cabinets from the cabinet maker. * It was he who suggested that
for the simpler cabinets - such as those in a bathroom - that I might be
better with off the shelf. * *But he didn't know of any website that sold
frames that were a higher quality birch plywood construction.

So I'm investigating using a mixture of custom and off the shelf.

How about one of us trots over to your place and whip some up for
you? Sheesh.

You've been given a number of approaches and you're not having any of
it. Here's the short of it: you want custom, but you want it cheaper
and in stock. Yeah, that should be no problem.

Sorry, there is no free lunch today. You'll either have to pony up
some more money, do some work yourself, or settle for a stock cabinet
that's available in YOUR area. How much do you think it costs to ship
an assembled cabinet? That's why I replied the first time with that
cabparts.com link. They'll make any damn thing you want, prefinish
it, drill holes for hardware, and ship it to you in a flat box for a
reasonable cost, and all you have to do is assemble the thing. You'll
have exactly nothing to do in the way of layout or measuring.

If you're not up to that, settle, pony up or waste some other peoples'
time by calling some cabinet shops and see if they're running the free
lunch special.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"RicodJour" wrote in message
You've been given a number of approaches and you're not having any of
it. Here's the short of it: you want custom, but you want it cheaper
and in stock. Yeah, that should be no problem.

Sorry, there is no free lunch today. You'll either have to pony up
some more money, do some work yourself, or settle for a stock cabinet
that's available in YOUR area. How much do you think it costs to ship
an assembled cabinet? That's why I replied the first time with that
cabparts.com link. They'll make any damn thing you want, prefinish
it, drill holes for hardware, and ship it to you in a flat box for a
reasonable cost, and all you have to do is assemble the thing. You'll
have exactly nothing to do in the way of layout or measuring.

Hold on. I asked for a vendor that makes high quality off the shelf
cabinets. I never said once I wouldn't pay for quality. My criteria was
to find someone who made the cabinets from higher quality components like
birch plywood AC grade, rather than MDF or fiberboard. Of course quality
costs more. I was willing to pay more for higher quality. What part of my
post made you think otherwise?

I appreciate the reference to cabparts.com. That did look like fiberboard
though. Their catalog was confusing for me.

Ikea has a modular system for cabinets, but it looks like most of their
product is MDF / fiberboard. That's not what I want. I was hoping to
find someone who has a similar modularization system that uses (and charges
for) higher quality construction. Maybe that vendor doesn't exist, or at
least doesn't expose their product to the end user the way Ikea does.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

"W" wrote

I appreciate the reference to cabparts.com. That did look like
fiberboard
though. Their catalog was confusing for me.

Did you see this:

"Produced from currently available sheet goods – to reduce inventory and
waste. Specify your requirements, Melamines, MDF’s, Plywoods, Green cores,
etc."

and this:

"Call us today! 970.241.7682"

Max

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Max" wrote in message
b.com...
"W" wrote

I appreciate the reference to cabparts.com. That did look like
fiberboard
though. Their catalog was confusing for me.

Did you see this:

"Produced from currently available sheet goods – to reduce inventory and
waste. Specify your requirements, Melamines, MDF’s, Plywoods, Green cores,
etc."

I downloaded their catalog and will investigate further.

I was hoping to buy something pre-assembled and pay something extra for
shipping.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"RicodJour" wrote in message
On Oct 28, 5:57 pm, "Leon" wrote:

Having said all that I build lots and lots of cabinets. I am currently
having a home built and it is going to have the "off the shelf cabinets"
but
not by choice. If the builder would let me build and install my own
cabinets I would be better off.

That's an odd one. Maybe he's figuring that you'd delay him, delaying
getting the CO and delaying him getting his final payment.

The forms for the foundation were put up Tuesday before last, Oct 19 and
Friday, Oct 29 the framing was ready for the roof decking. I think I would
hold everything up if they waited on me to build my own cabinets. Closing
is tentatively set for Dec 21.

Ask him if he'll install the cabinets with the minimum number of
screws to 'tack' them in place, and not screw the countertop down.
After the CO, pull that stuff and donate it to a local Habitat for
Humanity Restore. They'll come and pick it up and you can take the
deduction for the full cost of the cabinets (have the contractor give
you the invoice).

This home is not a custom home and has to conform to certain standards.
Because I am paying for the cabinets I do want to get some use out of them
before I replace them one day in the future. I have no problem with
removing kitchen cabinets, have done that on several occasions, I believe
it would be in my best interest for the cabinets to be installed with the
intention of not being replaced. Not sure how granite would be screwed down
though. ;~)

Having said that I did talk with a custom builder that gave me an allowance
for me to build and install my own cabinets. The allowance was $2200. In
my case that was not worth the effort to drop what I am doing and build
cabinets to save $2200.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Dave in Texas" wrote in message

"Leon" wrote in message

If the builder would let me build and install my own cabinets I would be
better off.

Hard to believe that Swing would do you that way.

Dave in Houston

LOL... We talked about pricing and what his costs would be, I think he
would be in the hole if he built a house the way he does for the price I am
getting.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 30, 6:19*pm, "W" wrote:
"RicodJour" wrote in message

[...]

Merillat has cabinets that have 1/2" baltic birch carcasses, but you
have to special order them. Their "off the shelf" are 3/8" termite
vomit board or whatever. I'm in the Northeast, so I don't know if they
are available where you are. Why doesn't your cabinetmaker want to
make your other cabs? I'll make cabs wherever they go... I've made
broom cabs fer cryin out loud. I'll make a cab for whatever the client
wants. Money talks, BS walks...

RP

Posted to rec.woodworking

GEEEESHHHHH! I was quoted $2100 just for cheap laminate counter tops at
Lowes for my kitchen.

The builders have many ways of ripping you off that it's now worth it to
custom make anything. This way they don't have to remember anything and
build it the way, "they have never seen", anyway.

When you want to get involved with some kitchen installation they will make
sure you have to finish the landscaping yourself because it was your sawdust
in the kitchen and not their fault...LOL

"Leon" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

I went through three installers (including their best) before the legal BS
started for mine. A few more years of legal BS and I may be able to retrim
them, for the forth time.

Just remember, if it is home owners helping home owners, run as fast as you
can go, in the opposite direction.

"Robatoy" wrote in message
I have installed countertops on many DIY projects for people who took
the time to put it all together with some thought. I have seen IKEA
and Home Despot off-the-shelf kitchens that were a lot better than
some shlock I had to put MY nice work onto made by 'custom
professional' impostors.
Most of the guys here will agree that it is all about the installation.

On Oct 28, 7:36 pm, "SonomaProducts.com" wrote:
For material I want a strong plywood with a high quality real wood
veneer.
No fiberboard!!!!

Just go to home depot or lowes. They have various grades, good retun
and warrenty policies, you can touch and feel what you are gona buy
and they have fair prices since they do such huge volume.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

"Josepi" wrote in message
Ohhh?

We call the ends of a cabinet "gables".

I have no problem with *other" people calling the sides of a cabinet the
"gables".

Max

Posted to rec.woodworking

I think that was the point.
Some want to be anal about everybody in the whole world using their
definition...LOL

eb.com...

"Josepi" wrote in message
Ohhh?

We call the ends of a cabinet "gables".

Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

I call the *top* the gable (like on a house) to differentiate it from the
floor of the cabinet. {:-)

Max (but not in public)

"Josepi" wrote in message
I think that was the point.
Some want to be anal about everybody in the whole world using their
definition...LOL

eb.com...

"Josepi" wrote in message
Ohhh?

We call the ends of a cabinet "gables".

Posted to rec.woodworking

Careful the word police will get you, here.

The last one I ran into was the word "Camp". Some neighbours continuously
refered to their "camp". After about a year they told us that people 'round
here call it a "cottage". APparently in some parts people call a small
building in the woods a "camp"

"Max" wrote in message
eb.com...

I call the *top* the gable (like on a house) to differentiate it from the
floor of the cabinet. {:-)

Max (but not in public)

Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

My sister (in Michigan) does. She tells me quite often that, "Herb is up at
the 'camp'. " LOL

Max

"Josepi" wrote in message
Careful the word police will get you, here.

The last one I ran into was the word "Camp". Some neighbours continuously
refered to their "camp". After about a year they told us that people
'round
here call it a "cottage". APparently in some parts people call a small
building in the woods a "camp"

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill was a top poster when he first came.

Pressure from the supertrolls caused him to change his style.

The posting style trolls are so paranoid people will not be like them they
spend more time on insulting than trying to decipher the posts. Some use
special browsers that attempt to assist them to decipher multiple indented
posts and attempt to associate the names with their text using multiple
colours and other techniques.

Crazy, huh? Sure is, when email styles and hard copy styles have
established formats since the beginning of time.

reference text below