Posted to rec.woodworking
RicodJour RicodJour is offline

Default Best Off the Shelf Cabinets?

On Oct 30, 3:57*pm, "W" wrote:
"RP" wrote in message

Why don't you just have "your cabinetmaker" manufacture the cabs? He's
obviously invested some time and interest in your project. Even if
he's 25% -50% higher it seems as though you would be a lot better off.
I recently had a client tell me that my prices were higher than Ikea,
and in my nicest, most concerned voice I told her that you get what
you pay for and that I use "green" products as much as I can with low
VOC finishes. That sold the kitchen right then and there.

I did buy cabinets from the cabinet maker. * It was he who suggested that
for the simpler cabinets - such as those in a bathroom - that I might be
better with off the shelf. * *But he didn't know of any website that sold
frames that were a higher quality birch plywood construction.

So I'm investigating using a mixture of custom and off the shelf.

How about one of us trots over to your place and whip some up for
you? Sheesh.

You've been given a number of approaches and you're not having any of
it. Here's the short of it: you want custom, but you want it cheaper
and in stock. Yeah, that should be no problem.

Sorry, there is no free lunch today. You'll either have to pony up
some more money, do some work yourself, or settle for a stock cabinet
that's available in YOUR area. How much do you think it costs to ship
an assembled cabinet? That's why I replied the first time with that
cabparts.com link. They'll make any damn thing you want, prefinish
it, drill holes for hardware, and ship it to you in a flat box for a
reasonable cost, and all you have to do is assemble the thing. You'll
have exactly nothing to do in the way of layout or measuring.

If you're not up to that, settle, pony up or waste some other peoples'
time by calling some cabinet shops and see if they're running the free
lunch special.