Posted to rec.woodworking
RP[_2_] RP[_2_] is offline

Default Best Off the Shelf Cabinets?

On Oct 30, 6:19*pm, "W" wrote:
"RicodJour" wrote in message

You've been given a number of approaches and you're not having any of
it. *Here's the short of it: *you want custom, but you want it cheaper
and in stock. *Yeah, that should be no problem.

Sorry, there is no free lunch today. *You'll either have to pony up
some more money, do some work yourself, or settle for a stock cabinet
that's available in YOUR area. *How much do you think it costs to ship
an assembled cabinet? *That's why I replied the first time with that
cabparts.com link. *They'll make any damn thing you want, prefinish
it, drill holes for hardware, and ship it to you in a flat box for a
reasonable cost, and all you have to do is assemble the thing. *You'll
have exactly nothing to do in the way of layout or measuring.

Hold on. * I asked for a vendor that makes high quality off the shelf
cabinets. * I never said once I wouldn't pay for quality. * My criteria was
to find someone who made the cabinets from higher quality components like
birch plywood AC grade, rather than MDF or fiberboard. * Of course quality
costs more. *I was willing to pay more for higher quality. * What part of my
post made you think otherwise?

I appreciate the reference to cabparts.com. * That did look like fiberboard
though. * Their catalog was confusing for me.

Ikea has a modular system for cabinets, but it looks like most of their
product is MDF / fiberboard. * That's not what I want. * I was hoping to
find someone who has a similar modularization system that uses (and charges
for) higher quality construction. * Maybe that vendor doesn't exist, or at
least doesn't expose their product to the end user the way Ikea does.

Merillat has cabinets that have 1/2" baltic birch carcasses, but you
have to special order them. Their "off the shelf" are 3/8" termite
vomit board or whatever. I'm in the Northeast, so I don't know if they
are available where you are. Why doesn't your cabinetmaker want to
make your other cabs? I'll make cabs wherever they go... I've made
broom cabs fer cryin out loud. I'll make a cab for whatever the client
wants. Money talks, BS walks...

RP