Posted to rec.woodworking
Josepi[_12_] Josepi[_12_] is offline

Default Best Off the Shelf Cabinets?

GEEEESHHHHH! I was quoted $2100 just for cheap laminate counter tops at
Lowes for my kitchen.

The builders have many ways of ripping you off that it's now worth it to
custom make anything. This way they don't have to remember anything and
build it the way, "they have never seen", anyway.

When you want to get involved with some kitchen installation they will make
sure you have to finish the landscaping yourself because it was your sawdust
in the kitchen and not their fault...LOL

"Leon" wrote in message
That's an odd one. Maybe he's figuring that you'd delay him, delaying
getting the CO and delaying him getting his final payment.

The forms for the foundation were put up Tuesday before last, Oct 19 and
Friday, Oct 29 the framing was ready for the roof decking. I think I would
hold everything up if they waited on me to build my own cabinets. Closing
is tentatively set for Dec 21.

Ask him if he'll install the cabinets with the minimum number of
screws to 'tack' them in place, and not screw the countertop down.
After the CO, pull that stuff and donate it to a local Habitat for
Humanity Restore. They'll come and pick it up and you can take the
deduction for the full cost of the cabinets (have the contractor give
you the invoice).

This home is not a custom home and has to conform to certain standards.
Because I am paying for the cabinets I do want to get some use out of them
before I replace them one day in the future. I have no problem with
removing kitchen cabinets, have done that on several occasions, I believe
it would be in my best interest for the cabinets to be installed with the
intention of not being replaced. Not sure how granite would be screwed down
though. ;~)

Having said that I did talk with a custom builder that gave me an allowance
for me to build and install my own cabinets. The allowance was $2200. In
my case that was not worth the effort to drop what I am doing and build
cabinets to save $2200.