Posted to rec.woodworking
RP[_2_] RP[_2_] is offline

Default Best Off the Shelf Cabinets?

On Oct 28, 7:54*pm, "W" wrote:
I am not a builder, so I don't know the precise language to use to identify
different building materials and construction techniques.

For me particle board and fiberboard are both equally low quality products,
and I want to avoid both. *I asked my cabinet maker, and he said that he is
using a birch plywood that is A grade on top and C grade on bottom (but he
thought it was actually a B grade). * That is the same quality of
construction I would want to buy in an off the shelf product, even if it
cost more than fiberboard or particle board. *Does that help you identify
the type of construction I want?

I am looking for off the shelf, completed cabinets, made of birch or equal
quality plywood, with real wood veneers. * *Does any web site sell those?

"RicodJour" wrote in message

On Oct 27, 9:15 pm, "W" wrote:

What web sites offer medium high quality cabinets and low prices? I have
a few applications where I want to compare custom against making due with
something off the shelf.

For material I want a strong plywood with a high quality real wood veneer.
No fiberboard!!!!

You ask odd questions, or at least phrase them oddly.
No fiberboard - got it. *What about particle board?
'Strong' plywood? *Is that a grade?
Medium high quality and low prices. *All of that is subjective and
provides no helpful information.

Check out cabparts.com or some such and roll you own and see if that
works for you.

Why don't you just have "your cabinetmaker" manufacture the cabs? He's
obviously invested some time and interest in your project. Even if
he's 25% -50% higher it seems as though you would be a lot better off.
I recently had a client tell me that my prices were higher than Ikea,
and in my nicest, most concerned voice I told her that you get what
you pay for and that I use "green" products as much as I can with low
VOC finishes. That sold the kitchen right then and there.

RP