Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_6_] Leon[_6_] is offline

Default Best Off the Shelf Cabinets?

"W" wrote in message
What web sites offer medium high quality cabinets and low prices? I
have
a few applications where I want to compare custom against making due with
something off the shelf.

For material I want a strong plywood with a high quality real wood veneer.
No fiberboard!!!!

First off custom may be an inferior product compared to an off the shelf
product from a big box store.
All things being equal, Quality custom will always be more expensive to buy
than off the shelf. Almost with out exception off the shelf items are
going to have the majority of their quality in the face frames, doors and
drawer "fronts". Behind what you see it is anybodies guess as to what
matrerial and what quality it will be.

So basically you probably need to decide if you want to pay for a quality
custom job or take a gamble with what you end up off the shelf. At least
with custom you can specify the materials and hopefully get a good pro to do
the work.

Having said all that I build lots and lots of cabinets. I am currently
having a home built and it is going to have the "off the shelf cabinets" but
not by choice. If the builder would let me build and install my own
cabinets I would be better off.