Edwin Pawlowski

Default 14" bandsaw

"Grant" wrote in message
I'd like to keep the price under $400 if
that is possible and still get a good saw.

Therein likes the problem.

Mo matter what brand or tool and no matter what marketing and distribution,
the cheap saw is not going to have the same components and same finish as
the higher priced saws.

Differences are not always apparent. Thickness of materials in the
trunions, the web under the table, the spokes of the wheels that keep it
from deflecting. The motor just looks like a black can with a shaft, but
inside there is copper windings. It may have smaller bearing in the cheap
one. Drives may have a sloppier tolerance on balance.

Frankly, the better saws are in the $500 and up range. If I saw you, I'd
gat my ass over to Woodcraft today and take advantage of the 10% sale and
get the Jet 14" for $449 today. That is the minimum saw that I'd recommend
if you want quality.

I started out looking to spend less, but bought the Jet a couple of years
ago. I don't regret it.
Ed

B a r r y

Default 14" Grizzly G0555

On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 16:03:57 -0700, "Grant" wrote:

Just curious. Is the 93.5" blade that the Grizzly uses a "Common" blade?

93 1/2" is the most common size for 14" band saws. They are very easy
to find in just about every configuration, and made by all
manufacturers of band saw blades.

Barry
JLJ21710

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message news:iP8gc.44
Woodcraft today and take advantage of the 10% sale and
get the Jet 14" for $449 today.

Grant,

I agree with Ed. As I said in an earlier post, look around for sale prices.
I have the Jet 14" closed base and it's done everything I ever asked of it.
If only my would ;-} (just kidding dear).

Jo

Ed, Sorry about the email. I always hit the wrong button on my newsreader.

Rick Stein

I believe that the absolute best values are on ebay. There are two
American made Powermatic 14" saws currently on ebay, both are relatively
cheap, and vastly better than any import you can buy.

Rick

JLJ21710 wrote:
"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message news:iP8gc.44
Woodcraft today and take advantage of the 10% sale and

get the Jet 14" for $449 today.

Grant,

I agree with Ed. As I said in an earlier post, look around for sale prices.
I have the Jet 14" closed base and it's done everything I ever asked of it.
If only my would ;-} (just kidding dear).

Jo

Ed, Sorry about the email. I always hit the wrong button on my newsreader.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Rick Stein" wrote in message

I believe that the absolute best values are on ebay. There are two
American made Powermatic 14" saws currently on ebay, both are relatively
cheap, and vastly better than any import you can buy.

Perhaps, if you live near the seller.

I looked at one of them and it is located in Utah, they will charge $75 to
strap it to a pallet, then you pay truck shipping on top of that. Aside
from the cost of the saw, I can see a few hundred $ to get it any distance.
Grizzly and Wilke Machine, etc, have good deals with truckers. Most small
dealers do not and moving a single pallet a thousand or more miles gets
rather pricey. You can buy a new Jet for the price of shipping and crating
alone.

Think before you bid.
Ed

Grant

Thanks!

"B a r r y" wrote in message 93 1/2" is the most common size for 14" band
saws.

Grant

Ok there is one Jet that is within pickup distance (1hr each way).

what do you think it is worth?:

Grant

Looks like I'd need to buy a fence and stuff with the Jet at Woodcraft.

Grant

Looks like I'd need to buy addtional things like a fence and stuff with the
Jet at Woodcraft.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Grant" wrote in message news:IChgc.17147$L75.4586@fed1read06...
Ok there is one Jet that is within pickup distance (1hr each way).

what do you think it is worth?:

A new one is $450 on sale. They have been painted a cream color for the past
few years so this is at least four or more years old. Looks like very good
condition though; I'd pay up to $250 to $300 for it.

An hour ride is not bad. I mentioned shipping before and they offered a
cost estimator. This one is some distance from me and the shipping cost is
estimated at $200 plus crating. If you can't pick it up, eBay can be an
expensive way to buy.
Ed

Edwin Pawlowski

--
"Grant" wrote in message news:kJhgc.17148$L75.5122@fed1read06...
Looks like I'd need to buy a fence and stuff with the Jet at Woodcraft.

I use the Jet fence. Others make a simple clamp on fence of their own. As
for the other "stuff" you must mean the miter. I used mine maybe twice.

The beauty of a bandsaw is cutting curves. No fence, no miter needed. You
can always add them later as the $$ becomes available.
Ed

Grant

Edwin,
Yes, I'm not going to ship. I'll see what happens with that auction. The
seller auctions seem to gather alot of bids and higher prices for some
reason, I don't know.

Ever heard of a Precision Packard?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/ebayISAPI.dll...tem=3810260662 Look a bit
tattered but if it was to be had cheap would it be worth fixing up?

Unisaw A100

Grant:
Ever heard of a Precision Packard?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/ebayISAPI.dll...tem=3810260662

It's a Chiwanese clone probably based on a Chiwanese clone
of a Chiwanese clone of the Delta 14" band saw. In other
words, this one was still around when all the others had
been picked over and passed over by Jet and Grizzly.

Look a bit tattered but if it was to be had cheap would it be worth fixing up?

This about that. Believe me when I tell you that finding
and fixing up a good used machine can be a very satisfying
experience. Some even find out they like fixing up old
machines to be more fun than wooddorking. No really, it's
true and I will recommend this off shoot of the hobby to
anyone for just about any machine except for a Chiwanese
clone probably based on a Chiwanese clone of a Chiwanese
clone of the Delta 14" band saw.

Then on the other hand, for $15 you won't feel quite so bad
when you finally find and bring home a good band saw and you
can give this one the heel of your boot out the back end of
your pick up truck (with the Dale Earnhardt press on decal
in the back window).

UA100
Edwin Pawlowski

"Grant" wrote in message

The
seller auctions seem to gather alot of bids and higher prices for some
reason, I don't know.

Looks like it is a tool in very good condition, thus the higher price. The
dealer may have a good reputation for selling quality items. You also have
people bidding close to or evenover retail. I don't know if they get caught
in the last minute frenzy or if they are just too stupid to do any homework.

Ever heard of a Precision Packard?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/ebayISAPI.dll...tem=3810260662 Look a bit
tattered but if it was to be had cheap would it be worth fixing up?

If you like to tinker with machines, it may be a steal. You can buy tires,
the wheels may have to be balanced and aligned, bearing replaced, pulleys
replaced, guides, etc. Or you can put 50 hours and a couple hundred bucks
and still not be able to cut and follow a line. I don't know of this brand
and I've never rebuilt a bandsaw.

Grant

Thanks for the insight.

Grant

Yeah I'm gunna pass on that one. I did a google search on that name and
found nothing.

How about this Delta in Las Vegas:
No mention of the condition or how much use, or damage. I know my wife
would like a trip to Vegas.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Grant" wrote in message news:xJmgc.17985$L75.5200@fed1read06...
Yeah I'm gunna pass on that one. I did a google search on that name and
found nothing.

How about this Delta in Las Vegas:

No mention of the condition or how much use, or damage. I know my wife
would like a trip to Vegas.

If you do good in LV, you can buy any saw you want!

This looks like the higher priced Delta. If it is, the retail was in the
$750 to $800 range. It would be a good buy near the starting price. In
good shape, it could easily bring $600.
Ed

B a r r y

On Sun, 18 Apr 2004 00:59:56 GMT, Unisaw A100
wrote:

Believe me when I tell you that finding
and fixing up a good used machine can be a very satisfying
experience. Some even find out they like fixing up old
machines to be more fun than wooddorking.

I can see this being true. I know some cyclists and musicians that
spend much more time restoring old stuff than they do using it. They
get a ton of satisfaction out of getting something from the scrap heap
into nearly new condition, with original parts.

Barry
B a r r y

On Sat, 17 Apr 2004 14:55:24 -0700, "Grant" wrote:

Looks like I'd need to buy a fence and stuff with the Jet at Woodcraft.

Before you spend money on fences and store bought jigs, check out Mark
Duginske's band saw book. You can get at a library, Amazon, or
Woodcraft.

Barry
Unisaw A100

Or this one in SoCal.

I think the flame job adds a nice touch to it.

By the way, this is not a 14" saw.

UA100

ossidog

.. Thet made a 14 inch with a 98 inch blade- z model- The saw is great
but the only place to get pre made blades is grizzley. I noted the
new one is 93.5 but one should double check. I wish I would have
Edwin Pawlowski

"ossidog" wrote in message
. Thet made a 14 inch with a 98 inch blade- z model- The saw is great
but the only place to get pre made blades is grizzley.

Not so. Most bandsaw blade makers will make customs sizes. Suffolk Machine
for one, I think Woodhaven will Lee Valley sells a kit for brazing blades
and you can buy 100' coils.
Ed

Grant

I'm in So Cal so San Jose is too far. Need so be not more than a few hours
each way. Driving to San Jose would cost me near $50 each way and take
14hrsRT. Thanks though. I'm half way between LA and SD.

Ron Stitt

By the way, I have a Grizzly G0555 and it comes with a 92 1/2" blade! There
are references to it having a 93 1/2" which is pretty much standard for a
14" BS but that isn't what the Grizzly uses. When you add the riser block it
then uses a 105" blade which is standard with most of the other 14" BS that
have a 12" throat.

Ron
"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On 18 Apr 2004 08:19:33 -0700,
(ossidog) brought forth from the murky depths:

. Thet made a 14 inch with a 98 inch blade- z model- The saw is great
but the only place to get pre made blades is grizzley. I noted the
new one is 93.5 but one should double check. I wish I would have

No, you can get custom length blades from Suffolk Machinery, too.
http://www.timberwolf1.com/

--
SAVE THE PARROTS! Eschew the use of poly!
----------

J. Clarke

Grant wrote:

Yes, and this is what leads me to beleive that there are different styles
of
the same model number. the newer one has the motor underneath.

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message Go to the Lowes site
and search for Delta Bandsaw and it show it behind.

Going to the Delta site it looks like the stand will accept the motor in
either location.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Robert Smith

Last September I drove up to Muncy, Pa. to the Grizzly show room. My intent
was to purchase the 16" band saw. I was planning on getting the one with the
cast iron wheels. If you have never been to a Grizzly showroom do yourself a
favor and take a trip. That place is packed full of all kinds of machinery.
I ended up getting the 17" with cast alum. wheels. I works great, I use it
for resawing rough sawn 2x8 oak and walnut. I even use the cheap Grizzly 1"
blades. You can't push the stock through fast enough to bog down the motor.
I also have a Grizzly joiner and the 15" thickness planer. I couldn't be
happier with any of them. I started out with a crapsman cabinet saw, but
soon found myself sucked into the Unisaw mystique. I bought one about three
years ago. It's a great saw, but I have yet to do something on it that
couldn't be done on the Crapsmen. I have found that as long as the iron is
good, you can get anything to cut perfect. If you can't, you should hire
someone who knows what he is doing to set it up for you. The problems that
the other poster was whining about, was more than likely self inflicted. If
it wasn't Grizzly would have most certainly made it right. I even regret
selling the crapsmen table saw. It was working great but I finally convinced
myself that I needed the Unisaw. But then again, I convince myself a new
$400.00 drive will straighten out my golf game about every three or four
months. Currently I am on a Dewalt tool kick, can anyone give me a slap
along side the head to knock it out of me. Every time I see a yellow tool I
start reaching for my wallet.

"Unisaw A100" wrote in message
Grant wrote:
Yeah If I buy used I want one in So. Cal.. That one looks nice though.
Thanks,

They aren't bad saws despite the guides, table fixings and
lack-o-riser block. Here's another one but it looks like
they're moving farther away from you.

Still, the price looks very good, for now.

UA100

Grant

Well thanks to everyone that replied and gave input. I looked at the Jets,
and the Delta at Lowes. And of course the Ridgid at Home Depot, and the
Craftsman at Sears. Never got to see the Grizzly in person.

But got myself a Very lightly used Delta 28-299 (American made) that came
with all "Limited Edition" goodies, still had the original blade on it, rip
fence, mobile base, vacuum attachment, and circle cutting attachment. It
runs very smooth. Needs a bit of retuning and a new blade. But even as I
got it it runs very good. I am very happy and think that I've got a saw
that will serve me very well for my lifetime of any band sawing chores that
I will probably do.

http://media.ptg-online.com/media/dm...2009-31-01.pdf

Thanks again for the input,
Grant

Edwin Pawlowski

"Grant" wrote in message
But got myself a Very lightly used Delta 28-299 (American made) that came
with all "Limited Edition" goodies, still had the original blade on it,

rip
fence, mobile base, vacuum attachment, and circle cutting attachment.

Looks like you got a real winner. Good luck with it.
Ed

Kim

On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 18:46:53 +0000, Robert Smith wrote:

{snip}

Currently I am on a Dewalt tool kick, can anyone give me a slap along side
the head to knock it out of me. Every time I see a yellow tool I start
reaching for my wallet.

If you've got 'yellow fever' check out a DeWalt 735 planer. You'll be
impressed how quickly and smoothly ittl plane your wallet. And you won't
be disappointed with what it does to wood either.

Kim

Grant

Default Delta 28-299 was 14" bandsaw

Thanks Ed. I think I did get a winner. I paid only about $45 more than the
Grizzly Ultimate. But I got more saw I beleive. I'm stoked. Gotta get
some good blades for it though. The original one that came with it is the
only one that had ever been used on it. I'd like a good assortment. Any
recommendations?
Grant

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote Looks like you got a real winner. Good luck with
it.
Ed

Edwin Pawlowski

"Grant" wrote in message news:LAXhc.28411$L75.6374@fed1read06...
I'd like a good assortment. Any
recommendations?
Grant

So far, I've used the 1/2" Timberwolf for re-saw work and a 1/4" for general
cutting and curves. Eventually I want to get 1/8" for tighter curves but
I've not had the need yet. I think those three sizes will get you 90%+ of
all your cutting needs.
Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

George

Get ceramics for it. Especially if you'll be doing a lot of work with wide
blades. I'm a turner, and they control the blade beautifully when the old
cool blocks just wore the left upper and lower like crazy.

Below 1/4, and possibly at it, you'll want soft ones.

"Normal" use shows me with 1/2" 3TPI for resawing and green wood large, 3/8"
4 TPI for green wood small, 3/8 and 1/4" 6 TPI for general purpose use, but
I own an oscillating spindle sander. For bandsaw boxes we use a 12 TPI 1/4
at the school, I've got a 3/16 with perhaps 14 at home.

Oh yes, as I've mentioned more than once, the kids stand in line at school
to get to the old Delta (and now the new) versus the Grizzly, which is an
inconsistent performer. You did good.