Edwin Pawlowski

Default 14" bandsaw

"Grant" wrote in message
I'd like to keep the price under $400 if
that is possible and still get a good saw.

Therein likes the problem.

Mo matter what brand or tool and no matter what marketing and distribution,
the cheap saw is not going to have the same components and same finish as
the higher priced saws.

Differences are not always apparent. Thickness of materials in the
trunions, the web under the table, the spokes of the wheels that keep it
from deflecting. The motor just looks like a black can with a shaft, but
inside there is copper windings. It may have smaller bearing in the cheap
one. Drives may have a sloppier tolerance on balance.

Frankly, the better saws are in the $500 and up range. If I saw you, I'd
gat my ass over to Woodcraft today and take advantage of the 10% sale and
get the Jet 14" for $449 today. That is the minimum saw that I'd recommend
if you want quality.

I started out looking to spend less, but bought the Jet a couple of years
ago. I don't regret it.
Ed