Tom Lewis

Default Dumb Dado Question

Some 40 years ago when I was in high school the shop teacher would stack
regular saw blades together to make dado cuts. Why shouldn't that be done?

Tom

Leon

For starters many saw blades centers are not flat. They may be hollow
ground and you would end up distorting the blades. Most are not designed to
crosscut and leave a smooth bottom unless your are using a rip blade and are
going with the grain. A good dado set is precision matched so that the
bottoms of the cuts will be even. This is not likely to happen with common
blades and especially if one of the blades has ever been sharpened.

"Tom Lewis" wrote in message
Some 40 years ago when I was in high school the shop teacher would stack
regular saw blades together to make dado cuts. Why shouldn't that be

done?

Tom

Edwin Pawlowski

"Tom Lewis" wrote in message
Some 40 years ago when I was in high school the shop teacher would stack
regular saw blades together to make dado cuts. Why shouldn't that be

done?

Tom

Accuracy for one. With the combination of blades you can get most any
thickness and easily adjust with shims for a few thousandths if need be. It
is easy to compensate for the undersized plywood.

hey are also made to work together as a set. Blades may vary a bit from one
manufacturer to another so just grabbing blades at random would not give
repeatable results.
Ed

Pounds on Wood

What looked to a youngster like a stack of regular blades, was probably a
stack of, you guessed it, stack dado blades. Even 40 years ago.

O'course you could stack 6 Forrest blades to do a 3/4" dado and it would
only set you back $600.

--
********
Bill Pounds

"Tom Lewis" wrote in message
Some 40 years ago when I was in high school the shop teacher would stack
regular saw blades together to make dado cuts. Why shouldn't that be

done?

Tom

Tom Kohlman

I always thought the answer was chip removal and also the fact that the
inside chippers only have two teeth set on opposite ends which allows for
setting them inside the teeth of the outside blades.

Dumber question yet is the 8" Delta dado stack. One of the outer blades
says "this side out". That's it. Does it mean facing out, which would work
if I put next to the inside arbor plate which somehow translates to "this
side in"? Or does it mean that the blade goes next to the arbor nut,
("out" from my perspective) but then it has to be positioned such that the
"this side out" is actually facing in.

Who's on first, etc.

s.com...

"Tom Lewis" wrote in message
Some 40 years ago when I was in high school the shop teacher would stack
regular saw blades together to make dado cuts. Why shouldn't that be

done?

Tom

Chris Melanson

Default Dumb Dado Question (dumber question yet)

Look at the tips of the outer blades (not the chippers) you should have
one side that some teeth are pointed toward the outer side of the blade if
you look at the other blade the teeth should be pointed to the opposite
side. this is how you figure out which is the left and the right side
blades.

CHRIS

"Tom Kohlman" wrote in message
et...
I always thought the answer was chip removal and also the fact that the
inside chippers only have two teeth set on opposite ends which allows for
setting them inside the teeth of the outside blades.

Dumber question yet is the 8" Delta dado stack. One of the outer blades
says "this side out". That's it. Does it mean facing out, which would

work
if I put next to the inside arbor plate which somehow translates to "this
side in"? Or does it mean that the blade goes next to the arbor nut,
("out" from my perspective) but then it has to be positioned such that the
"this side out" is actually facing in.

Who's on first, etc.

Tom Kohlman

Thanks Chris...now take me one step further!!! Left vs. right on the teeth
I can do...now what do I do with that information??? LOL

So we come to a common point of reference, on the arbor nut side do I want
teeth pointing in or out (or up or down or north/south or east/west or
horizontal/vertical)...better yet, there is a washer welded onto each outer
blade around the arbor hole...do they face towards the chippers or towards
the arbor washers? (I could make a case for either way...towards the
chippers to act as a shim, towards the arbor washers to stabilize the
blades). Have actually tried them both ways and can't see much difference
other than the latter seems to make for too tight of a dado but perfect if I
add one or two of the cardboard shims that came with it.

thanks again

"Chris Melanson" wrote in message
[...]

Edwin Pawlowski

"Chris Melanson" wrote in message
Look at the tips of the outer blades (not the chippers) you should

have
one side that some teeth are pointed toward the outer side of the blade if
you look at the other blade the teeth should be pointed to the opposite
side. this is how you figure out which is the left and the right side
blades.

Let's take this one more step. The chippers have usually two or four teeth.
You put four of them together between the outer blades to make the thickness
you want. here do you place the teeth of each. One in back of the other?
Stagger them? Put some distance between them? Does not matter at all?

Ed

Pounds on Wood

"This side out" means outside of the stack. Given that and the teeth facing
the correct direction, means you got it right. "This side out" would be
meaningless if it meant outside on the arbor, since there are left and right
hand arbors out there.l

--
Bill Pounds
http://www.billpounds.com/woodshop

"Tom Lewis" wrote in message
Some 40 years ago when I was in high school the shop teacher would

stack
regular saw blades together to make dado cuts. Why shouldn't that be

done?

Tom

Greg Millen

Tom,

assuming it wasn't a dado set he was using, it is likely the blades were
steel and not carbide tipped. Should you have a stack of carbide spinning at
3450rpm and one blade either slips or stops, the remaining blades will have
so many teeth missing it'll look like the nightshift at the WaffleHouse.

This assumes the freed teeth haven't turned you into a colander and you are
still physically capable of looking at the mess.

--
Greg

"Tom Lewis" wrote in message ...
Some 40 years ago when I was in high school the shop teacher would stack
regular saw blades together to make dado cuts. Why shouldn't that be

done?

Tom

Michael Baglio

On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 02:42:47 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

Let's take this one more step. The chippers have usually two or four teeth.
You put four of them together between the outer blades to make the thickness
you want. here do you place the teeth of each. One in back of the other?
Stagger them? Put some distance between them? Does not matter at all?

Assuming the chippers are perfectly made, (balanced), it wouldn't
matter as the rotational forces of the chipper(s) would place even
load on the arbor/bearings as they spin.

However, that would be a bad assumption. Nothing's perfect, and since
I don't have a several-hundred-dollar set of dado blades, I assume
mine are less perfect than others. ;

I stagger them as best I can so that there is even distribution of
weight about the arbor. I get little, if any, vibration using this
method. (I've never done it any other way, so I don't know that I'd
get any vibration jamming all the chipper blades' teeth right next to
each other, either.)

Fwiw,
Michael
Secret Squirrel

"Tom Kohlman" wrote in
et:

I always thought the answer was chip removal and also the fact that
the inside chippers only have two teeth set on opposite ends which
allows for setting them inside the teeth of the outside blades.

Dumber question yet is the 8" Delta dado stack. One of the outer
blades says "this side out". That's it. Does it mean facing out,
which would work if I put next to the inside arbor plate which somehow
translates to "this side in"? Or does it mean that the blade goes
next to the arbor nut, ("out" from my perspective) but then it has to
be positioned such that the "this side out" is actually facing in.

Who's on first, etc.

I was confused by that too. I came to the conclusion that the printed
side should face the arbor. That gets the orientation of the teeth right
as well as the little spacer disks that they have fixed on the inside of
the outer blades.
Swingman

Secret wrote in message

Dumber question yet is the 8" Delta dado stack. One of the outer
blades says "this side out". That's it. Does it mean facing out,
which would work if I put next to the inside arbor plate which somehow
translates to "this side in"? Or does it mean that the blade goes
next to the arbor nut, ("out" from my perspective) but then it has to
be positioned such that the "this side out" is actually facing in.

Who's on first, etc.

I was confused by that too. I came to the conclusion that the printed
side should face the arbor. That gets the orientation of the teeth right
as well as the little spacer disks that they have fixed on the inside of
the outer blades.

Forget the arbor, just chant to yourself: "OM, OM, The chippers go on the
inside of the stack, the blades go on the outside" ... and you can't go
wrong.

Works for me. ;)

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/13/04

Swingman

Secret wrote in message

Actually with this set you would go wrong. There are round discs attached
to the side of each outer blade. They are not thock enough to eb
stiffeners but are just shims that are permamnently affixed to the
blades. If you reverse the blades these shims would be on the outside of
the set and you would not get cuts in any of the standard sizes.

Sorry, but that still sounds like a no brainier to me. I tried to put it
gently ... let me put it another way ... and not directed at you personally,
you understand:

Despite the fact that I've never seen a set that didn't come with specific
instructions, and even supposing that these instructions were somehow MIA,
then a good case can be made that anyone incapable of NOT being able to
figure that out, or incapable of figuring out how to use all the blades and
chippers in any Dado set, would highly likely be better off NOT using one in
the first place without personal, hands-on instruction from someone who
does.

IOW, dado sets, of any ilk, are not to be taken lightly ... if you don't
understand their use, don't rely on second hand information, get firsthand
instruction.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/13/04

Robert Bonomi

In article ,
Tom Kohlman wrote:
Thanks Chris...now take me one step further!!! Left vs. right on the teeth
I can do...now what do I do with that information??? LOL

So we come to a common point of reference, on the arbor nut side do I want
teeth pointing in or out (or up or down or north/south or east/west or
horizontal/vertical)...better yet, there is a washer welded onto each outer
blade around the arbor hole...do they face towards the chippers or towards
the arbor washers? (I could make a case for either way...towards the
chippers to act as a shim, towards the arbor washers to stabilize the
blades). Have actually tried them both ways and can't see much difference
other than the latter seems to make for too tight of a dado but perfect if I
add one or two of the cardboard shims that came with it.

you want the 'flat side' of the teeth towards the other blade(s) installed,
and the 'angled out' side of the teeth 'away from' the other blade(s).

If you put _just_ the two outer blades together, with no chippers, you should
have a combination that looks like a 'normal' blade.

What you call the washer is probably a 'stiffener', and should be on the
outside of the blade pack. i.e. on the side away from the other blade(s).

If in doubt, _read_the_directions_. It is simply *amazing* what one can find
out by doing that.
Robert Bonomi

In article ,
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

"Chris Melanson" wrote in message
Look at the tips of the outer blades (not the chippers) you should

have
one side that some teeth are pointed toward the outer side of the blade if
you look at the other blade the teeth should be pointed to the opposite
side. this is how you figure out which is the left and the right side
blades.

Let's take this one more step. The chippers have usually two or four teeth.
You put four of them together between the outer blades to make the thickness
you want. here do you place the teeth of each. One in back of the other?
Stagger them? Put some distance between them? Does not matter at all?

Ed

Given the option, staggering is preferable. It makes for a more even load
on the saw bearings.

A 'staggered' setup does not necessarily imply a uniform set of offsets as
you go from one side to the other. sometimes there are benefits to be had
if the 'angularly adjacent' teeth are not on physically adjacent chippers.

The extreme case, 2-tooth chippers, with several of them set together,
would result in a big 'chomp' as they all come in contact with the wood
and "no" chomp, while the leading/descending tooth has cleared the (nearest
the user part of the) piece, but the trailing/ascending tooth has not yet
contacted the (farthest from the user part of the) piece.

Joe Wilding

I have done this before and have had no problems. I worked in a lab once
where they bought cheap 8" blades in bulk (50 at a time maybe?) I used to
stack these togther to make dado cuts. They were flat top ground blades and
they made a pretty good cut. Not perfect, but better than some cheap stacked
dadoes that I have seen.(the baldes were not exactly perfectly the same
diameter, but really darn close.)

Some one else stated that this would be dangerous if the blades slipped and
the carbide teeth broke off and went flying. I don't buy this argument.
First off, as long as you tighten the arbor nut properly, they are not going
to slip. Secondly, this is no different than most stacked dado sets. On my
delta set, the teeth all overlap each other. if the blades ever slipped
(which they don't) the carbide would become projectiles as well. It is not
an issue.

I do agree that in general, it is probably cheaper just buy a stacked dado
set. (Unless of coarse you have a pile of bulk blades setting there like i
did.

Just my opinion.

--
Joe in Denver
my woodworking website:

"Tom Lewis" wrote in message
Some 40 years ago when I was in high school the shop teacher would stack
regular saw blades together to make dado cuts. Why shouldn't that be

done?

Tom

Tom Kohlman

SNIP If in doubt, _read_the_directions_. It is simply *amazing* what one
can find
out by doing that.

I ALWAYS DO...problem here is there weren't any...NADA...ZIP...ZILCH...all I
got for the $99 was 2 blades, a handful of chippers and some cardboard shims
in a cheap piece of plastic.

"Robert Bonomi" wrote in message
ervers.com...
In article ,
Tom Kohlman wrote:
[...]

Tom Kohlman

Swingman...I thought you were leaving the group?

It isn't a "no brainer" and the instructions were not MIA...it was a new
pack and there were none that I recall but then again I ditched the cheap
plastic factory "storage case" after a few uses in favor of a home-made wood
box that gives me easy access to the parts, keeps them from banging against
each other, doesn't take 20 minutes to get them all back in when I am done
plus it holds the dado TS insert so everything is in one place.

I'll ignore your previous comment about chippers sandwiched between the two
outer blades. I concluded that must have been a personal reminder from you
to you. Do what ya gotta do I guess. Read it often and don't forget your
safety glasses.

From what I've gleaned from the left/right in/out up/down posts, I think the
answer is the round disks attached on the outer blades face in towards the
chippers. That's the way I've always positioned them but have been getting
less than stellar results and was wondering whether the blade orientation
was wrong. Thanks to all for clarifying.

"Swingman" wrote in message
Secret wrote in message

[...]

tillius

I actually tried this last year when I needed to make large box joints
on my crapsman ts and couldn't afford to buy a dado. I found a set of
7 identical B&D 7-1/2" steel blades and stacked them with washers and
poster board shims between them to get the right spacing.

I cut 240 3/8" box joints with it. When I first started, the notches
came out fairly nice requiring minimal clean up. After about 180 cuts,
I had to do moderate clean up of each notch bottom with a chisel.

After I finished I just threw away the blades since they only cost me
$4.99 for the set.

Would I do it again? ONLY if I HAD to cut dados and HAD no money. They
made such noise I was scared out of my gourd the entire time.

Tillman

"Tom Lewis" wrote in message ...
Some 40 years ago when I was in high school the shop teacher would stack
regular saw blades together to make dado cuts. Why shouldn't that be

done?

Tom

Edwin Pawlowski

"Robert Bonomi" wrote in message

The extreme case, 2-tooth chippers, with several of them set together,
would result in a big 'chomp' as they all come in contact with the wood
and "no" chomp, while the leading/descending tooth has cleared the

(nearest
the user part of the) piece, but the trailing/ascending tooth has not yet
contacted the (farthest from the user part of the) piece.

Thanks, that makes a lot of sense.
Ed

Swingman

Secret wrote in message

Actually with this set you would go wrong. There are round discs attached
to the side of each outer blade. They are not thock enough to eb
stiffeners but are just shims that are permamnently affixed to the
blades. If you reverse the blades these shims would be on the outside of
the set and you would not get cuts in any of the standard sizes.

I would say that you might be right, and just well might do that, IF you
only know enough about table saws, table saw blades, their operation and
use, to be a danger to yourself.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/13/04

Swingman

"Tom Kohlman" wrote in message

Swingman...I thought you were leaving the group?

You will definitely need to pay more attention than that when you're using a
table saw with a dado set.

It isn't a "no brainer" and the instructions were not MIA...it was a new
pack and there were none that I recall but then again I ditched the cheap
plastic factory "storage case" after a few uses in favor of a home-made

wood
box that gives me easy access to the parts, keeps them from banging

against
each other, doesn't take 20 minutes to get them all back in when I am done
plus it holds the dado TS insert so everything is in one place.

I'll ignore your previous comment about chippers sandwiched between the

two
outer blades. I concluded that must have been a personal reminder from

you
to you. Do what ya gotta do I guess. Read it often and don't forget your
safety glasses.

Anyone who has to ask, on a public forum, how to assemble and use a dado
set, and in particular ask a question of that basic a nature, would do well
to get some experienced, hands on guidance, in person, before attempting to
use one. You're spinning way too much metal to be guessing.

From what I've gleaned from the left/right in/out up/down posts, I think

the
answer is the round disks attached on the outer blades face in towards the
chippers.

You "think"??! ... sorry, that ain't gonna cut it around that much spinning
metal. If you don't know for sure, don't ... until you do.

But yes ... that answer _is_ pretty much the definition of a "no brainer".

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/13/04

Secret Squirrel

"Swingman" wrote in
:

Secret wrote in message

Actually with this set you would go wrong. There are round discs
attached to the side of each outer blade. They are not thock enough
to eb stiffeners but are just shims that are permamnently affixed to
the blades. If you reverse the blades these shims would be on the
outside of the set and you would not get cuts in any of the standard
sizes.

I would say that you might be right, and just well might do that, IF
you only know enough about table saws, table saw blades, their
operation and use, to be a danger to yourself.

Thanks for the lesson and the accompanying self righteous attitude.
Perhaps now you can go back and read the original post. The OP questioned
that, in so much as they are labeled in what appears to be contradiction
to the correct orientation. If you follow the lableling (and they DO NOT
come with instructions) you will wind up with the outer blades reversed.
By taking the extra moment to look at them you will realize that the
labeling is misleading. I thought I made that clear in my post. But what
should be equally clear to someone who clearly knows everything is that
reversing the position of the outer blades will not make the set any less
safe to operate, just somewhat less accurate.

Swingman

Secret wrote in message
"Swingman" wrote in

Secret wrote in message

Actually with this set you would go wrong. There are round discs
attached to the side of each outer blade. They are not thock enough
to eb stiffeners but are just shims that are permamnently affixed to
the blades. If you reverse the blades these shims would be on the
outside of the set and you would not get cuts in any of the standard
sizes.

I would say that you might be right, and just well might do that, IF
you only know enough about table saws, table saw blades, their
operation and use, to be a danger to yourself.

Thanks for the lesson and the accompanying self righteous attitude.

As I said, it wasn't directed at you ... but the fact remains that whoever
displayed the original ignorance should be strongly warned, and be thankful
that the "self righteous attitude", as you call it, is not accompanied by
flying carbide teeth and/or bits of steel.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/13/04

Tom Kohlman

Swingman

I was the OP. As stated previously, I was doing it correctly but not real
pleased with the results which led to the question in the first place.

As for "spinning metal", I probably have a few thousand more miles of it
under my belt than you do but if playing Mom makes you feel good, that have
at it.

"Swingman" wrote in message
Secret wrote in message
"Swingman" wrote in

Secret wrote in message

[...]

Swingman

"Tom Kohlman" wrote in message
Swingman

As for "spinning metal", I probably have a few thousand more miles of it
under my belt than you do but if playing Mom makes you feel good, that

have
at it.

Then you should be damn thankful if you are still in one piece.

-
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/13/04

Tom Kohlman

....in one piece with every appendage I was born with still here. I did one
stupid mistake that resulted in blood back in 1983 (I think...might have
been 1984). Beat that "Mom".

Sorry you had to take the time to nose into what I still think was a legit
question to a group of people that are generally very helpful. Forget the
fact that I've only witnessed you "sniping" without offering anything of
value to anybody posting to this NG.

As I have been such a bad bad boy, if I were you, I would plonk me. FH

"Swingman" wrote in message

"Tom Kohlman" wrote in message
Swingman

As for "spinning metal", I probably have a few thousand more miles of it
under my belt than you do but if playing Mom makes you feel good, that

have
at it.

Then you should be damn thankful if you are still in one piece.

-
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/13/04

Swingman

"Tom Kohlman" wrote in message
...in one piece with every appendage I was born with still here. I did

one
stupid mistake that resulted in blood back in 1983 (I think...might have
been 1984). Beat that "Mom".

If you have some wood, better go knock on it.

Sorry you had to take the time to nose into what I still think was a legit
question to a group of people that are generally very helpful. Forget the
fact that I've only witnessed you "sniping" without offering anything of
value to anybody posting to this NG.

Mom would tell you the same thing: Pay more attention all around and you'll
be safer, and better informed.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/13/04