Michael Baglio

Default Dumb Dado Question (dumber question yet)

On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 02:42:47 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

Let's take this one more step. The chippers have usually two or four teeth.
You put four of them together between the outer blades to make the thickness
you want. here do you place the teeth of each. One in back of the other?
Stagger them? Put some distance between them? Does not matter at all?

Assuming the chippers are perfectly made, (balanced), it wouldn't
matter as the rotational forces of the chipper(s) would place even
load on the arbor/bearings as they spin.

However, that would be a bad assumption. Nothing's perfect, and since
I don't have a several-hundred-dollar set of dado blades, I assume
mine are less perfect than others. ;

I stagger them as best I can so that there is even distribution of
weight about the arbor. I get little, if any, vibration using this
method. (I've never done it any other way, so I don't know that I'd
get any vibration jamming all the chipper blades' teeth right next to
each other, either.)

Fwiw,
Michael