Joe Wilding

Default Dumb Dado Question

I have done this before and have had no problems. I worked in a lab once
where they bought cheap 8" blades in bulk (50 at a time maybe?) I used to
stack these togther to make dado cuts. They were flat top ground blades and
they made a pretty good cut. Not perfect, but better than some cheap stacked
dadoes that I have seen.(the baldes were not exactly perfectly the same
diameter, but really darn close.)

Some one else stated that this would be dangerous if the blades slipped and
the carbide teeth broke off and went flying. I don't buy this argument.
First off, as long as you tighten the arbor nut properly, they are not going
to slip. Secondly, this is no different than most stacked dado sets. On my
delta set, the teeth all overlap each other. if the blades ever slipped
(which they don't) the carbide would become projectiles as well. It is not
an issue.

I do agree that in general, it is probably cheaper just buy a stacked dado
set. (Unless of coarse you have a pile of bulk blades setting there like i
did.

Just my opinion.

--
Joe in Denver
my woodworking website:

"Tom Lewis" wrote in message
Some 40 years ago when I was in high school the shop teacher would stack
regular saw blades together to make dado cuts. Why shouldn't that be

done?

Tom