Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Mineral Spirits?

Went to Wal-Mart to get mineral spirits (clear, like water), which
I've done before. The spirits I purchased today was milky and it was
not as watery as previous purchases.... same container as previous
purchases. The lid was still sealed I strained it through a paper
towel and collected a bit of a cream-like residue on the towel. The
stained part was still milky in color and still not as watery as
previous products.

Is this some sort of new mineral spirits? .... Klean Strip odorless
brand.

Rinsing some paint stripper with this stained milky stuff didn't seem
to be as effective as with my previous clear spirits purchases. It
doesn't wring dry from a cloth rag, either. It's like wringing out
syrup, i.e., some slow-flowing remainer continues to ooze out after
the watery aspect has been wrung out.

I applied stripper, then opened this new container and discovered this
stuff. I had to use some of it for this initial stripping of a small
area. I don't like testing a new (to me) product on someone's
furniture, this way.

I'm considering bringing it back and get the labeled "paint thinner",
which is clear, for rinsing my stripper.

Comments? Anyone know if this is legitimate spirits?
Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/25/2010 3:11 PM, Sonny wrote:
[...]

Sounds like a defective product. Take it back and see if you can get a
clean bottle. Might want to call the manufacturer and see if they'll
tell you where to find the lot number so you can maybe get one from a
different lot.

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Sonny wrote:

Comments? Anyone know if this is legitimate spirits?

Hard to read the contents/product label from here...

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Sonny" wrote in message

Snip

Comments? Anyone know if this is legitimate spirits?
Sonny

Typically "Thinner" is Mineral Spirits with a manufacturer's additives to
make the thinner work better as a "thinner". Slower to evaporate and so on.
IMHO your mineral spirates have either been compromised or was mislabled at
the manufacturer. I would simply take it back and get another can. I do
not like using thinner over mineral spirits for cleaning.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Didn't look right to me, either, as compared to what I'm familiar
with. Whatever it is, it left a layered residue on the wood and it
took a bit, not much, of sanding to remove it. Wiped the area with
acetone and I think it's ok. It will be returned. Thanks All.
Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Sonny" wrote in message
snip
Is this some sort of new mineral spirits? .... Klean Strip odorless
brand.

snip
Comments? Anyone know if this is legitimate spirits?
Sonny

Is the "odorless" feature responsible for the product appearance/ function?
Rod

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 25 Mar 2010 12:11:20 -0700 (PDT), Sonny
wrote:

[...]

Mineral spirits is a clear liquid, not milky.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Rod & BJ Jacobson" wrote in message
acquisition...

"Sonny" wrote in message
snip
Is this some sort of new mineral spirits? .... Klean Strip odorless
brand.

snip
Comments? Anyone know if this is legitimate spirits?
Sonny

Is the "odorless" feature responsible for the product appearance/
function? Rod

Not with the odorless versions I have used.

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Sonny wrote:
Didn't look right to me, either, as compared to what I'm familiar
with. Whatever it is, it left a layered residue on the wood and it
took a bit, not much, of sanding to remove it. Wiped the area with
acetone and I think it's ok. It will be returned. Thanks All.
Sonny

As I expected, in all likelihood you didn't pay enough attention to the
label when you purchased the product; it would appear from the MSDS you
got the "green" version which is hydrotreated petroleum distallate.

The MSDS physical description section includes the following --

Appearance and Odor
Opaque, milky white, thin emulsion with a light petroleum distillate odor.

Following is the link at the Rockler product site to see the MSDS
itself: http://www.rockler.com/tech/RTD20000425AA.pdf

Moral of story--don't complain of a defective product until know one
actually has the product one thinks one has...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 26 Mar 2010 08:20:27 -0400, Phisherman wrote:

Comments? Anyone know if this is legitimate spirits? Sonny

Mineral spirits is a clear liquid, not milky.

Agreed. Sonny, you've got a bad product - take it back. If you can find
it, get turpentine instead unless the odor is a problem. It's a natural
renewable resource unlike petroleum based mineral oil. And I think it
works better, although that's a very subjective thing.

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Larry Blanchard wrote:
On Fri, 26 Mar 2010 08:20:27 -0400, Phisherman wrote:

Comments? Anyone know if this is legitimate spirits? Sonny

Mineral spirits is a clear liquid, not milky.

Agreed. Sonny, you've got a bad product - take it back. ...

No, it is _NOT_ a bad product, it just isn't the product he thinks it
is/thought he was buying.

See other post linking to MSDS for the "green" mineral spirits product...

Posted to rec.woodworking

"dpb" wrote in message
Sonny wrote:
Didn't look right to me, either, as compared to what I'm familiar
with. Whatever it is, it left a layered residue on the wood and it
took a bit, not much, of sanding to remove it. Wiped the area with
acetone and I think it's ok. It will be returned. Thanks All.
Sonny

As I expected, in all likelihood you didn't pay enough attention to the
label when you purchased the product; it would appear from the MSDS you
got the "green" version which is hydrotreated petroleum distallate.

What you are refering to is a substitute sold by Rockler.
Assuming the product he bought at "WalMart" was the same product as usual, I
would suspect that he got a mislabled product. This is what he was after.
http://www.wmbarr.com/ProductFiles/K... 011-13-08.pdf

Having been in a business that buys products that are packaged differently
for different brand stores I saw this happen time and again.

I have the same KleenStrip Oderless mineral spirits and it is as clear as
water. What you are refering to is something that is made for Rockler and
probably not normally available at Wal Mart.

Moral of story, make sure you are comparing apples to apples.

The MSDS physical description section includes the following --

Appearance and Odor
Opaque, milky white, thin emulsion with a light petroleum distillate
odor.

Following is the link at the Rockler product site to see the MSDS itself:
http://www.rockler.com/tech/RTD20000425AA.pdf

Moral of story--don't complain of a defective product until know one
actually has the product one thinks one has...

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Larry Blanchard" wrote in message
On Fri, 26 Mar 2010 08:20:27 -0400, Phisherman wrote:

Comments? Anyone know if this is legitimate spirits? Sonny

Mineral spirits is a clear liquid, not milky.

Agreed. Sonny, you've got a bad product - take it back. If you can find
it, get turpentine instead unless the odor is a problem. It's a natural
renewable resource unlike petroleum based mineral oil. And I think it
works better, although that's a very subjective thing.

I prefer mineralspirits for clean up over thinner because it dries faster.
How fast would you say turpentine is compared to mineral spirits? I might
wat to switch again for clean up.

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Leon wrote:

I have the same KleenStrip Oderless mineral spirits and it is as clear as
water. What you are refering to is something that is made for Rockler and
probably not normally available at Wal Mart.

I've no clue where he bought it (and I'm not going back to see if it
says in his original posting) but it is most definitely _NOT_ a
Rockler-only KleanStrip product (or it wouldn't be labelled and the MSDS
wouldn't be for WM Barr, it would be for Rockler-branded product.

I simply posted the link via Rockler as it was quicker-loading than the
MW Barr site that has all their products in a larger pdf download format...

Just for grins, here's the product link accessible thru the "Brands"
link from the MW Barr site...

http://www.kleanstripgreen.com/

click on "Thinners & Solvents"

Moral of story, make sure you are comparing apples to apples.

Well, that was Sonny's problem from the git-go--he got an orange when he
wanted an apple.

There's nothing wrong w/ the product in his container, it just isn't the
product he thought he was getting.

Posted to rec.woodworking
EXT EXT is offline

"Larry Blanchard" wrote in message
On Fri, 26 Mar 2010 08:20:27 -0400, Phisherman wrote:

Comments? Anyone know if this is legitimate spirits? Sonny

Mineral spirits is a clear liquid, not milky.

Agreed. Sonny, you've got a bad product - take it back. If you can find
it, get turpentine instead unless the odor is a problem. It's a natural
renewable resource unlike petroleum based mineral oil. And I think it
works better, although that's a very subjective thing.

Turps is great, but who can afford it. It about 10 times the price of
mineral spirits in this area.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"EXT" wrote in message
anews.com...

"Larry Blanchard" wrote in message
On Fri, 26 Mar 2010 08:20:27 -0400, Phisherman wrote:

Comments? Anyone know if this is legitimate spirits? Sonny

Mineral spirits is a clear liquid, not milky.

Agreed. Sonny, you've got a bad product - take it back. If you can find
it, get turpentine instead unless the odor is a problem. It's a natural
renewable resource unlike petroleum based mineral oil. And I think it
works better, although that's a very subjective thing.

Turps is great, but who can afford it. It about 10 times the price of
mineral spirits in this area.

Well that settle that!

Posted to rec.woodworking

I have the same KleenStrip Oderless mineral spirits and it is as clear as
water. What you are refering to is something that is made for Rockler
and probably not normally available at Wal Mart.

I've no clue where he bought it (and I'm not going back to see if it says
in his original posting)

Oh please let's not take time to confuse the issue with facts.
If you read the OP'S first friggin sentence he mentions where he bought it
with the 3rd word.
If you had simply gone back and reread you would have waisted less time than
responding again with unconfirmed information.

but it is most definitely _NOT_ a
Rockler-only KleanStrip product (or it wouldn't be labelled and the MSDS
wouldn't be for WM Barr, it would be for Rockler-branded product.

Do you think the MSDS sheet you referenced would be for a product not sold
by Rockler? LOL.... The Reference you made is for a Rockler product. MSDS
sheets are not a one size fits all document. Every product has it's very
own MSDS. EMS and Emergency personel don't have time to screw around
guessing if the MSDS for one product will work for another.

I simply posted the link via Rockler as it was quicker-loading than the MW
Barr site that has all their products in a larger pdf download format...

It took me all of about 20 seconds to find the MSDS I posted, ever try
Google?

Just for grins, here's the product link accessible thru the "Brands" link
from the MW Barr site...

http://www.kleanstripgreen.com/

click on "Thinners & Solvents"

Moral of story, make sure you are comparing apples to apples.

Well, that was Sonny's problem from the git-go--he got an orange when he
wanted an apple.

There's nothing wrong w/ the product in his container, it just isn't the
product he thought he was getting.

Yeah that is your story and obviousely you are sticking with it. Next time
you have a perscription "refilled" at the pharmacy feel confident that if
the pills you receive do not look like what you have been taking all along
go ahead and take them. They are probably correct for something.

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Leon wrote:

There's nothing wrong w/ the product in his container, it just isn't the
product he thought he was getting.

Yeah that is your story and obviousely you are sticking with it. ...

I'm quite confident if and when Sonny looks at his container carefully
he'll see that he has the "green" product, not the other.

It makes no sense whatsoever otherwise.

If you can't understand there are two products, one the MSDS sheet you
gave that isn't the product that Sonny has and if you would read the
MSDS sheet at the links I gave you'll see they are _BOTH_ put out by the
Barr company, manufacturers of the Klean products, _NOT_ Rockler.
Rockler is simply a retailer.

If you want to continue to argue the point, take it up w/ somebody
else--the point is and is true that there is _NOTHING_ whatsoever
"wrong" w/ the product in Sonny's can other than it isn't what he
thought it was when he bought it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 26 Mar 2010 13:17:22 -0500, Leon wrote:

I prefer mineralspirits for clean up over thinner because it dries
faster. How fast would you say turpentine is compared to mineral
spirits? I might wat to switch again for clean up.

I think you're right on the drying time. I mostly use turpentine for
thinning and to hang my brushes in. I also agree with Lew's response
that it just plain smells better - my age is showing :-).

As "EXT" says, it is more expensive. I wouldn't use it for cleanup if I
did that a lot. But for a hobbyist like me and the uses I have for it,
I'm willing to pay a bit more for a renewable resource.

And it must be less toxic - I remember CreoTurpin cough syrup :-).

Re above - it's a joke,son. Turpentine will kill you if you drink very
much of it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 26 Mar 2010 03:02:52 -0700, the infamous "Rod & BJ Jacobson"
scrawled the following:

"Sonny" wrote in message
snip
Is this some sort of new mineral spirits? .... Klean Strip odorless
brand.

snip
Comments? Anyone know if this is legitimate spirits?
Sonny

Is the "odorless" feature responsible for the product appearance/ function?

In all other brands, it is not. They're clear. I think he got some
used stuff. Maybe an employee couldn't make it to the restroom and...

--
Challenges are gifts that force us to search for a new center of gravity.
Don't fight them. Just find a different way to stand.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/26/2010 11:08 PM, Leon wrote:
wrote in message
Leon wrote:

[...]

Look, the deal is that they make mineral spirits and bottled happy
horse**** and what he apparently bought wasn't the mineral spirits but
the bottled happy horse****, that is labelled in such a way that you can
easily mistake it for mineral spirits.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 26 Mar 2010 23:55:06 +0000 (UTC), the infamous Larry Blanchard
scrawled the following:

On Fri, 26 Mar 2010 13:17:22 -0500, Leon wrote:

I prefer mineralspirits for clean up over thinner because it dries
faster. How fast would you say turpentine is compared to mineral
spirits? I might wat to switch again for clean up.

I think you're right on the drying time. I mostly use turpentine for
thinning and to hang my brushes in. I also agree with Lew's response
that it just plain smells better - my age is showing :-).

As "EXT" says, it is more expensive. I wouldn't use it for cleanup if I
did that a lot. But for a hobbyist like me and the uses I have for it,
I'm willing to pay a bit more for a renewable resource.

And it must be less toxic - I remember CreoTurpin cough syrup :-).

Re above - it's a joke,son. Turpentine will kill you if you drink very
much of it.

Yeah, they gave CreoTurpin to really BAD kids. Slowed 'em right down.
(I'll have to remember that name.

--
"Not always right, but never uncertain." --Heinlein
-=-=-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Ok. Quite a bit of back and forth, here, so I'll recap and update.
Maybe I should have given more details in the original post.

It was purchased at Wal-Mart and I did not read the label when I
bought it... it was the Green product, by Klean Strip.

However, I would still expect it to be and perform as, otherwise,
normal (for me) mineral spirits, green or not. It shouldn't matter
what kind of mineral spirits it is, it should perform as one would
expect of MS.

I had applied stripper to a small area of my work and, when time for
clean-up, I opened the new gallon of MS and found it to be milky and
somewhat thick flowing. Despite this, I decided to use it, since, I
asssumed, it is MS (even with it being vastly different than what I
was familiar with). It did not perform as normal MS. I stopped using
it, at that moment, and stained some through a paper towel, in order
to clean up my stripper. The straining process left a thicker sludge
on the paper towel and the stained amount was still not a watery
substance, as "normal" MS is. I decided to use the stained amount,
anyway, since I needed to cleanup what I had already stripped.

It left a layered "residue" on the woodwork, which I assumed was still
some "sludge". This residue sludge was not the result of the
stripper's sludge, which I previously removed (as much as I could)
with paper towels. The MS was to be used for rinsing the remainder of
the stripper's sludge, not adding to it. I tried to remove any and
everything. After it dried, there was layered crud on the woodwork
and, to me, this crud was not the stripped & varnish residue, but was
the MS residue sludge.

I got my work piece cleaned up pretty well and inspected the liquid in
the gallon of MS. I poured half of it out and found the more I
poured, the thicker it was. There were even a few soft lumps that
poured out.... at first I thought these lumps were large bubbles. To
this point, I still hadn't reread the label to see if there was
something to explain this... MS is supposed to be MS, so I was
"reading" what the liquid was telling me, not the container's label.

I had bought 2 gallons and, without breaking the seal on the other
gallon, I shook it to see if I could determine if this other gallon
may be thick, also. I couldn't tell.

My project wasn't damaged, in any way, but I did have to do more
cleaning up, than I normally do, because of this particular gallon of
MS.

Yes, I guess it pays to read a label, but hell, MS is supposed to be
MS and act and be like MS, I would think. Maybe this Green stuff has a
shelf life..... (Is that on the label? I won't bother to reread the
label, to see.). To me, something was wrong with this gallon of MS,
at least for my purpose. The stripper's instructions for cleanup was
to use MS. There wasn't anything abnormal with the stripper, to
attribute to this issue.

I returned the Green and bought some clear. My project is coming
along nicely, now.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/27/2010 12:12 PM, Sonny wrote:
[...]

According to the label neither it nor any of its components are
flammable. It's supposedly 99 percent volatile but with no volatile
organic content. The MSDS says "hydrotreated light distillate".

Whatever it is, it is unlikely to bear any real resemblance to mineral
spirits and I pity the painters who are stuck by regulations with using
such crap.

Hey, Osama, Los Angeles.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 27 Mar 2010 09:12:03 -0700 (PDT), the infamous Sonny
scrawled the following:

Ok. Quite a bit of back and forth, here, so I'll recap and update.
Maybe I should have given more details in the original post.

It was purchased at Wal-Mart and I did not read the label when I
bought it... it was the Green product, by Klean Strip.

However, I would still expect it to be and perform as, otherwise,
normal (for me) mineral spirits, green or not. It shouldn't matter
what kind of mineral spirits it is, it should perform as one would
expect of MS.

If you expect ANY green product to work as well as its chemical
counterpart, you're in for continual disappointment, Sonny.
They invariably mean a -lot- more work and they're usually not as good
in the cleaning department. Citrus strippers are one of the few
exceptions to that rule. "But you're saving the planet."

I returned the Green and bought some clear. My project is coming
along nicely, now.

You bet.

--
"Not always right, but never uncertain." --Heinlein
-=-=-
Posted to rec.woodworking

Sonny wrote:
Ok. Quite a bit of back and forth, here, so I'll recap and update.
Maybe I should have given more details in the original post.

It was purchased at Wal-Mart and I did not read the label when I
bought it... it was the Green product, by Klean Strip.

However, I would still expect it to be and perform as, otherwise,
normal (for me) mineral spirits, green or not. It shouldn't matter
what kind of mineral spirits it is, it should perform as one would
expect of MS.

I had applied stripper to a small area of my work and, when time for
clean-up, I opened the new gallon of MS and found it to be milky and
somewhat thick flowing....

I returned the Green and bought some clear. My project is coming
along nicely, now.

I like lacquer thinner to clean most everything that you would clean
with paint thinner or turpentine. Cleaning brushes used with oil paint
I use thinner and a spinner because I save the thinner in can or jar and
the finish settles to the bottom leaving mainly clear thinner for the
next use. Lacquer seems to leave the finish suspended, so I generally
don't use it for cleaning oil brushes.

But for cleaning most stuff, cleaning wax and oil off cast iron, or that
goo that covers some new cast iron tools, or glue on my disc sander,
lacquer thinner works great. I would be uncomfortable not having a
gallon of lacquer thinner in my paint cabinet. Hell, I've even used it
for thinning polyurethane for spraying... (Almost) anything paint
thinner does, lacquer thinner does better.

As far as green stuff goes, I generally shy away from anything based on
global fraud:-)

--
Jack
Got Change: Global Warming ===== Global Fraud!
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 27 Mar 2010 20:37:24 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

[...]

using an ounce of the real stuff, or wasting a pint of the "green" -
whixh is worse for the environment?? Even the "green " isn't harmless.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Jack Stein wrote:

But for cleaning most stuff, cleaning wax and oil off cast iron, or
that goo that covers some new cast iron tools, or glue on my disc
sander, lacquer thinner works great. I would be uncomfortable not
having a gallon of lacquer thinner in my paint cabinet. Hell, I've
even used it for thinning polyurethane for spraying... (Almost)
anything paint thinner does, lacquer thinner does better.

Bah!!! Too expensive to keep it on hand by the gallon. Go to the
refinisher supply houses and buy it by the 5 gal can. Much cheaper.
Besides that, the 5 gal can gives you a convenient place to sit down an
light up a cigarette...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Mike Marlow wrote:
Jack Stein wrote:

But for cleaning most stuff, cleaning wax and oil off cast iron, or
that goo that covers some new cast iron tools, or glue on my disc
sander, lacquer thinner works great. I would be uncomfortable not
having a gallon of lacquer thinner in my paint cabinet. Hell, I've
even used it for thinning polyurethane for spraying... (Almost)
anything paint thinner does, lacquer thinner does better.

Bah!!! Too expensive to keep it on hand by the gallon. Go to the
refinisher supply houses and buy it by the 5 gal can. Much cheaper.
Besides that, the 5 gal can gives you a convenient place to sit down an
light up a cigarette...

When I used to paint cars, I bought the cheap stuff in 5 gallon cans for
spraying primer, but now, in my wood shop, a gallon lasts me a long,
long time.

--
Jack
Assault is a behavior, not a device.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Jack Stein wrote:
Mike Marlow wrote:
Jack Stein wrote:

But for cleaning most stuff, cleaning wax and oil off cast iron, or
that goo that covers some new cast iron tools, or glue on my disc
sander, lacquer thinner works great. I would be uncomfortable not
having a gallon of lacquer thinner in my paint cabinet. Hell, I've
even used it for thinning polyurethane for spraying... (Almost)
anything paint thinner does, lacquer thinner does better.

Bah!!! Too expensive to keep it on hand by the gallon. Go to the
refinisher supply houses and buy it by the 5 gal can. Much cheaper.
Besides that, the 5 gal can gives you a convenient place to sit down
an light up a cigarette...

When I used to paint cars, I bought the cheap stuff in 5 gallon cans
for spraying primer, but now, in my wood shop, a gallon lasts me a
long, long time.

I don't buy the cheap stuff - not worth it. Virgin is far better. I just
have to ask though - how in the hell do you sit on that one gallon can?

--

-Mike-

Thinner or Mineral Spirits? Leon[_6_] Woodworking 25 November 3rd 09 04:08 AM
mineral spirits Lee Woodworking 7 September 9th 07 12:34 PM
Should I use mineral spirits after sanding between polyurethane coats [email protected] Woodworking 8 January 18th 07 05:46 PM
Wet sanding polyurethane b/t coats w/ mineral spirits lub bent Woodworking 9 February 17th 06 10:50 PM
Removing smell of mineral spirits [email protected] Home Ownership 1 February 22nd 05 05:26 PM