Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Mineral Spirits?

Doesn't sound like the stuff being sold as Mineral Spirits for the
last 100 years.

On Mar 25, 12:11*pm, Sonny wrote:
Went to Wal-Mart to get mineral spirits (clear, like water), which
I've done before. *The spirits I purchased today was milky and it was
not as watery as previous purchases.... same container as previous
purchases. *The lid was still sealed *I strained it through a paper
towel and collected a bit of a cream-like residue on the towel. *The
stained part was still milky in color and still not as watery as
previous products.

Is this some sort of new mineral spirits? * .... Klean Strip odorless
brand.

Rinsing some paint stripper with this stained milky stuff didn't seem
to be as effective as with my previous clear spirits purchases. *It
doesn't wring dry from a cloth rag, either. *It's like wringing out
syrup, i.e., some slow-flowing remainer continues to ooze out after
the watery aspect has been wrung out.

I applied stripper, then opened this new container and discovered this
stuff. *I had to use some of it for this initial stripping of a small
area. *I don't like testing a new (to me) product on someone's
furniture, this way.

I'm considering bringing it back and get the labeled "paint thinner",
which is clear, for rinsing my stripper.

Comments? *Anyone know if this is legitimate spirits?
Sonny