Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_6_] Leon[_6_] is offline

Default Mineral Spirits?

"dpb" wrote in message
Sonny wrote:
Didn't look right to me, either, as compared to what I'm familiar
with. Whatever it is, it left a layered residue on the wood and it
took a bit, not much, of sanding to remove it. Wiped the area with
acetone and I think it's ok. It will be returned. Thanks All.
Sonny

As I expected, in all likelihood you didn't pay enough attention to the
label when you purchased the product; it would appear from the MSDS you
got the "green" version which is hydrotreated petroleum distallate.

What you are refering to is a substitute sold by Rockler.
Assuming the product he bought at "WalMart" was the same product as usual, I
would suspect that he got a mislabled product. This is what he was after.
http://www.wmbarr.com/ProductFiles/K... 011-13-08.pdf

Having been in a business that buys products that are packaged differently
for different brand stores I saw this happen time and again.

I have the same KleenStrip Oderless mineral spirits and it is as clear as
water. What you are refering to is something that is made for Rockler and
probably not normally available at Wal Mart.

Moral of story, make sure you are comparing apples to apples.

The MSDS physical description section includes the following --

Appearance and Odor
Opaque, milky white, thin emulsion with a light petroleum distillate
odor.

Following is the link at the Rockler product site to see the MSDS itself:
http://www.rockler.com/tech/RTD20000425AA.pdf

Moral of story--don't complain of a defective product until know one
actually has the product one thinks one has...