Posted to rec.woodworking
Jack Stein Jack Stein is offline

Default Mineral Spirits?

Sonny wrote:
Ok. Quite a bit of back and forth, here, so I'll recap and update.
Maybe I should have given more details in the original post.

It was purchased at Wal-Mart and I did not read the label when I
bought it... it was the Green product, by Klean Strip.

However, I would still expect it to be and perform as, otherwise,
normal (for me) mineral spirits, green or not. It shouldn't matter
what kind of mineral spirits it is, it should perform as one would
expect of MS.

I had applied stripper to a small area of my work and, when time for
clean-up, I opened the new gallon of MS and found it to be milky and
somewhat thick flowing....

I returned the Green and bought some clear. My project is coming
along nicely, now.

I like lacquer thinner to clean most everything that you would clean
with paint thinner or turpentine. Cleaning brushes used with oil paint
I use thinner and a spinner because I save the thinner in can or jar and
the finish settles to the bottom leaving mainly clear thinner for the
next use. Lacquer seems to leave the finish suspended, so I generally
don't use it for cleaning oil brushes.

But for cleaning most stuff, cleaning wax and oil off cast iron, or that
goo that covers some new cast iron tools, or glue on my disc sander,
lacquer thinner works great. I would be uncomfortable not having a
gallon of lacquer thinner in my paint cabinet. Hell, I've even used it
for thinning polyurethane for spraying... (Almost) anything paint
thinner does, lacquer thinner does better.

As far as green stuff goes, I generally shy away from anything based on
global fraud:-)

--
Jack
Got Change: Global Warming ===== Global Fraud!