Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Off Topic: Darwin Award

Dave Balderstone wrote:

In article , Mark &
Juanita wrote:

Mike Marlow wrote:

Mark & Juanita wrote:

Umm, this one never did.

Kind of from that school of thought that learned wisdom from others,
not one of those who had to pee on the electric fence himself.

Liar...

Not at all. You see, Dad has always used the industrial strength fence
chargers, starting out when I was young with an International

.... snip
after the IWC died. Having accidentally touched those fences with hands,
fingers, and legs there was no way on earth I would even think it an
interesting experiment to allow those suckers a shot at my private parts.
Just accidentally touching the wire with your hands leave you weak-kneed
for a short while.

This is a true story. I was there...

.... snip

3- There was no way imaginable that I was going to make it.

ZAP!

.... snip

Yep -- Definitely gets your attention, doesn't it?

Rob Leatham

Posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy wrote:

On Mar 3, 12:39Â*pm, -MIKE- wrote:
On 3/3/10 6:23 AM, Puckdropper wrote:

wrote in
:

I thought mythbusters totally disproved it?

That was one that they proved. Â*If you have a solid stream of liquid to
act as a conductor, electricity can follow it. Â*They had quite a bit of
trouble getting a solid stream, but suceeded in the end.

Puckdropper

Really? Â*We're using mythbusters as our final word on science?

Love the show, but they *hardly* hold to scientific method and
occasionally get it right.

In this particular case, if the voltage/current is high enough, you
don't need a "continuous stream." Â*The electricity can arc from drop to
drop to drop.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones Â*(1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

The voltage would have to be one heckuva lot higher than the 600 volts
typically found on a third rail, which is what Mythbusters was trying
to establish.

..... snip

Try 2000 to 4000 volts:
http://www.jefferslivestock.com/ssc/product.asp?CID=2&mscssid=WUVAX8K46M459H3EK4M41E26 DQQPF2V0&pf_id=17212

Reading the instructions for one of the units, they have a device you can
buy that will send an alert when voltage drops BELOW 4000 volts. Very low
current, so it's not dangerous, just extremely painful.

Rob Leatham

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/3/10 10:30 PM, Mark & Juanita wrote:
The voltage would have to be one heckuva lot higher than the 600 volts
typically found on a third rail, which is what Mythbusters was trying
to establish.

.... snip

Try 2000 to 4000 volts:
http://www.jefferslivestock.com/ssc/product.asp?CID=2&mscssid=WUVAX8K46M459H3EK4M41E26 DQQPF2V0&pf_id=17212

Reading the instructions for one of the units, they have a device you can
buy that will send an alert when voltage drops BELOW 4000 volts. Very low
current, so it's not dangerous, just extremely painful.

So they use a step-up. Makes sense. We've all done those science class
experiments with those weird globe things that sends 10k volts through
your body and makes your hair stand up.

I have a current detector that bugs the crap out of me because it beeps
just from rubbing against me or anything plastic. The customer support
guy said it's registering the voltage in the static electricity
generated from the friction which can be upwards over 600 volts.

Same buddy from AEP told me they've had guys killed from lines they knew
to be dead, but someone was running a generator in a residence, without
turning off their main breaker. The step-down transformers on the poles
built the current up back through the line and "bam!"

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 03 Mar 2010 22:20:54 -0600, the infamous Dave Balderstone
scrawled the following:

In article , Larry Jaques
wrote:

I can imagine. So, Dave, do you have wall-to-wallow carpeting now?

I work for a farm newspaper now, but I'm definitely urban.

But for the memories, wot?

Possibly even urbane.

P'raps not. Y'ain't got no tea.

urbanely - in an urbane manner;
"`I had tea occasionally with the Duke,' said Mr. Eggers urbanely"
wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

--
An author spends months writing a book, and maybe puts his
heart's blood into it, and then it lies about unread till
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/3/2010 4:35 PM, Robatoy wrote:

Some scientists speculate that a lightning strike hit the primordial
soup and it sprang to life.... over time...more so for some than
others....nebber mind.. BRAINSSSS

Something to mull over on a quiet evening...

What do you suppose the odds are of a lightning strike producing a
single single DNA (the basis for everything we recognize as being
"alive") molecule from some random glob of "soup"?

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/4/10 12:19 PM, Morris Dovey wrote:
On 3/3/2010 4:35 PM, Robatoy wrote:

Some scientists speculate that a lightning strike hit the primordial
soup and it sprang to life.... over time...more so for some than
others....nebber mind.. BRAINSSSS

Something to mull over on a quiet evening...

What do you suppose the odds are of a lightning strike producing a
single single DNA (the basis for everything we recognize as being
"alive") molecule from some random glob of "soup"?

Greater than the chance of having the surface of the earth covered with
identical 1sq.cm tiles, with one of the tiles having a mark on the
bottom, and tossing a stone in the air at any random location and having
it land on the marked tile.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 1, 6:35*pm, "Lee Michaels"
wrote:
"Swingman" *wrote

Lee Michaels wrote:
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...SDizW1J3cJDz2L....

Downright shocking ...

--

Every farmboy has ****ed on an electric fence.

This takes it to a whole new level.

No, some of us farmboys learn from others mistakes!!!!(Then there are
those who just HAVE to **** on the fence themselves)

Uncle's favorite trick was when walking along shoulder of road in
fresh dewy grass, me barefoot & him in rubber boots, he'd grab my hand
and then grab the fence with the other hand. Pulsating type fencer,
pops out a spark-plug sized jolt every 3 to 4 sec, and the poor soul
on the END of the loop gets nailed worse than if I had grabbed the
fence myself.
Norm
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 4, 1:19*pm, Morris Dovey wrote:
On 3/3/2010 4:35 PM, Robatoy wrote:

Some scientists speculate that a lightning strike hit the primordial
soup and it sprang to life.... over time...more so for some than
others....nebber mind.. BRAINSSSS

Something to mull over on a quiet evening...

What do you suppose the odds are of a lightning strike producing a
single single DNA (the basis for everything we recognize as being
"alive") molecule from some random glob of "soup"?

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
DeSoto, Iowa USAhttp://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/

The odds are phenomenally huge, but in this universe, what isn't? And
rather than a strong lightning strike, maybe just a wandering
electrostatic sizzle could have randomly arranged a billion DNA
wigglies that eventually mutated into woodworkers as we know them?
Well.. it COULD have happened..... G Maybe when they turn the LHC up
to Volume 11 it could set off a chain reaction that would grow into an
alien.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 4, 1:31*pm, -MIKE- wrote:
On 3/4/10 12:19 PM, Morris Dovey wrote:

On 3/3/2010 4:35 PM, Robatoy wrote:

Some scientists speculate that a lightning strike hit the primordial
soup and it sprang to life.... over time...more so for some than
others....nebber mind.. BRAINSSSS

Something to mull over on a quiet evening...

What do you suppose the odds are of a lightning strike producing a
single single DNA (the basis for everything we recognize as being
"alive") molecule from some random glob of "soup"?

Greater than the chance of having the surface of the earth covered with
identical 1sq.cm tiles, with one of the tiles having a mark on the
bottom, and tossing a stone in the air at any random location and having
it land on the marked tile.

That would BE phenomenal odds, but odds nonetheless. And to plot that
on a timeline of infinite length, that marked tile would get hit
eventually.
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , Morris Dovey wrote:
On 3/3/2010 4:35 PM, Robatoy wrote:

Some scientists speculate that a lightning strike hit the primordial
soup and it sprang to life.... over time...more so for some than
others....nebber mind.. BRAINSSSS

Something to mull over on a quiet evening...

What do you suppose the odds are of a lightning strike producing a
single single DNA (the basis for everything we recognize as being
"alive") molecule from some random glob of "soup"?

Given a long enough period of time, pretty high, I should say. Lightning
strikes the earth approximately 300 million times a year, and the planet is
believed to be some five or six billion years old. Assuming the current rate
is representative, that works out in the neighborhood of 1.5 x 10^17 lightning
strikes since the planet was formed. With that many opportunities, the
probability that even a one in a million billion event will occur *sometime*
is, for all practical purposes, certainty.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/4/10 12:53 PM, Robatoy wrote:
On Mar 4, 1:31 pm, wrote:
[...]

But that's the point of the illustration, you don't get to do it over.
You get one chance and those are the odds.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 4, 1:31 pm, *wrote:
[...]

* "Playing is not something I do at night, it's my function in life"
* * *--Elvin Jones *(1927-2004)
* --
*http://mikedrums.com
*
* ---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

BOOGER!!! Just ONE??? But lightning hits continuously all over the
planet. Not just one shot.
Besides, just to get this out of the way, I believe in Creationism,
with a healthy dose of evolution (Adaption?) tossed in to keep us on
our toes.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote

BOOGER!!! Just ONE??? But lightning hits continuously all over the
planet. Not just one shot.
Besides, just to get this out of the way, I believe in Creationism,
with a healthy dose of evolution (Adaption?) tossed in to keep us on
our toes.
==================

Creationism, eh??

You make a lousy liberal.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 4, 1:31 pm, wrote:
[...]

It would seem reasonable to allow for multiple lightening strikes - but
not on an infinite time line. Planetary conditions would have had to
reach a point where the molecule could persist long enough to replicate
(since that's much of the "point" of a DNA molecule), which would
establish the beginning of the time line - and the strike would have to
occur before those conditions were no longer present.

To make the problem even hairier, the resulting molecule, composed of
the ACGT building blocks would be a dead end if the blocks weren't
arranged in whatever constitutes a "workable" sequence and if the
molecule contained any destabilizing components (like, for example, zinc).

I wasn't asking a rhetorical question - just suggesting that Rob's
comment might lead to some interesting (if not necessarily productive)
quiet contemplation...

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 4, 2:39*pm, "Lee Michaels"
wrote:
"Robatoy" wrote

BOOGER!!! Just ONE??? But lightning hits continuously all over the
planet. Not just one shot.
Besides, just to get this out of the way, I believe in Creationism,
with a healthy dose of evolution (Adaption?) tossed in to keep us on
our toes.
==================

Creationism, eh??

You make a lousy liberal.

God would have no trouble creating 1 billion-year-old rocks, would He?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 4, 2:39*pm, "Lee Michaels"
wrote:
"Robatoy" wrote

BOOGER!!! Just ONE??? But lightning hits continuously all over the
planet. Not just one shot.
Besides, just to get this out of the way, I believe in Creationism,
with a healthy dose of evolution (Adaption?) tossed in to keep us on
our toes.
==================

Creationism, eh??

You make a lousy liberal.

WTF started this **** about my being a liberal?
Posted to rec.woodworking

Default UPDATE: Off Topic: Darwin Award

"Lee Michaels" wrote
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...xOveQD9E62II80

Well, the verdict is in. The autopsy was done. He did not die of ****ing on
a downed power line. He GRABBED it with his left hand.

He still qualifies for a Darwin Award though.

First he crashes into a power pole. He calls for help. Then he grabs a
downed power line. Somehow or another, that made sense to him.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...trocution.html

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 04 Mar 2010 12:19:50 -0600, the infamous Morris Dovey
scrawled the following:

On 3/3/2010 4:35 PM, Robatoy wrote:

Some scientists speculate that a lightning strike hit the primordial
soup and it sprang to life.... over time...more so for some than
others....nebber mind.. BRAINSSSS

Something to mull over on a quiet evening...

Or not.

What do you suppose the odds are of a lightning strike producing a
single single DNA (the basis for everything we recognize as being
"alive") molecule from some random glob of "soup"?

Gazillions to one, minimum. That much juice fries/explodes anything
it touches, including _stone_.

Life globules come from something a wee bit more subtle, I gar-on-tee.

--
An author spends months writing a book, and maybe puts his
heart's blood into it, and then it lies about unread till
the reader has nothing else in the world to do.
-- W. Somerset Maugham, The Razor's Edge, 1943
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 04 Mar 2010 13:54:46 -0600, the infamous Morris Dovey
scrawled the following:

On Mar 4, 1:31 pm, wrote:
[...]

Yabbut, how many darkening strikes would it take, hmmm?

--
An author spends months writing a book, and maybe puts his
heart's blood into it, and then it lies about unread till
the reader has nothing else in the world to do.
-- W. Somerset Maugham, The Razor's Edge, 1943
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lee Michaels" wrote in message

"Lee Michaels" wrote
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...xOveQD9E62II80

Well, the verdict is in. The autopsy was done. He did not die of ****ing
on a downed power line. He GRABBED it with his left hand.

Begs the question, what did he have in his Right hand?

He still qualifies for a Darwin Award though.

Most Certainly!