Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Off Topic: Darwin Award

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...xOveQD9E62II80

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/1/2010 6:00 PM, Lee Michaels wrote:
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...xOveQD9E62II80

Downright shocking ...

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:
On 3/1/2010 6:00 PM, Lee Michaels wrote:
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...xOveQD9E62II80

Downright shocking ...

maybe even electrifying...

Posted to rec.woodworking

In , Lee Michaels
wrote:

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...JDz2LHNKWxOveQ
D9E62II80

That's a ****er...

A short in the shorts ...

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote

Lee Michaels wrote:
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...xOveQD9E62II80

Downright shocking ...

--

Every farmboy has ****ed on an electric fence.

This takes it to a whole new level.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 1, 7:00*pm, "Lee Michaels"
wrote:
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...SDizW1J3cJDz2L...

"Pimentel says there will be an autopsy but burn marks indicated
the way the electricity traveled through Messenger's body."
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 1, 7:00*pm, "Lee Michaels"
wrote:
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...SDizW1J3cJDz2L...

If I was with him I would of told him that "Urine a lot of
trouble!!" ---Sorry.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 1 Mar 2010 19:00:19 -0500, "Lee Michaels"
wrote:

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...xOveQD9E62II80

OK, here's the REAL opportunity fer fun:

"What was the last thing to go through his mind"?

Besides "Oh ****!"

-Zz
Posted to rec.woodworking

Lee Michaels wrote:

"Swingman" wrote

Lee Michaels wrote:

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...xOveQD9E62II80

Downright shocking ...

--

Every farmboy has ****ed on an electric fence.

Umm, this one never did.

Kind of from that school of thought that learned wisdom from others, not
one of those who had to pee on the electric fence himself.

This takes it to a whole new level.

Rob Leatham

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 1 Mar 2010 19:00:19 -0500, the infamous "Lee Michaels"
scrawled the following:

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...xOveQD9E62II80

The burnt weenie was a dead giveaway as to COD, wot?

--
Pessimist: One who, when he has the choice of two evils, chooses both.
--Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)

Posted to rec.woodworking

Mark & Juanita wrote:

Umm, this one never did.

Kind of from that school of thought that learned wisdom from others,
not one of those who had to pee on the electric fence himself.

Liar...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 1, 4:00*pm, "Lee Michaels"
wrote:
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...SDizW1J3cJDz2L...

New on the to-do list: check ground bonding of house plumbing...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 2, 1:22*am, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Mon, 1 Mar 2010 16:45:20 -0800, the infamous "Lew Hodgett"
scrawled the following:

Lee Michaels wrote:

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...3cJDz2L...goes to show ya, don't **** in the ditch.Lew

"The answer my friend, ain't ****in' in the wind.
* The answer is ****in' in the sink."

--
Pessimist: One who, when he has the choice of two evils, chooses both.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * --Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)

The stream needs to be continuous. Mythbusters went there.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 2 Mar 2010 21:17:41 -0000, "Alan Squires"
wrote:

Several thousand volts?

Yeah, that.

Q: What's the last thing to go through a bug's mind when it hits your
windshield?

A: It's asshole.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Mike Marlow wrote:

Mark & Juanita wrote:

Umm, this one never did.

Kind of from that school of thought that learned wisdom from others,
not one of those who had to pee on the electric fence himself.

Liar...

Not at all. You see, Dad has always used the industrial strength fence
chargers, starting out when I was young with an International Weedchopper, a
high-voltage relay controlled unit that was on for about 1 second, then off
about the same amount of time to permit the afflicted to release their
involuntary grip on the fence wire. Later came the ~10kv solid state units
after the IWC died. Having accidentally touched those fences with hands,
fingers, and legs there was no way on earth I would even think it an
interesting experiment to allow those suckers a shot at my private parts.
Just accidentally touching the wire with your hands leave you weak-kneed for
a short while.

Rob Leatham

Posted to rec.woodworking

ZAP!

While I suffered no injury, except to my pride (I was the only one
present who *wasn't* howling with laughter), I discovered just how
effective a farm electric fence can be in aiding a young man to his
feet, quickly. When the jolt hit me, I was propelled nearly upright,
and then fell backwards, to land in a sitting position in the mud.

Fortunately, Brian had indeed managed to catch the last of the piglets,
and that part of the ordeal was over except for the laughter from my
family, which continues to this day.

Later that year, the pork was somehow even tastier than I had imagined.

Great story ... we had electric fences when I was growing up and getting
zapped in some manner was a constant. Dad still uses them on his horse
farm to keep the yearlings honest.

Had too much sense to pee on one, but I can't tell you how many times I
got zapped trying to duck under one to get into the the next pasture
instead of walking a half mile to the gate ... a sweaty bare back makes
for hell of a conductor.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:

Great story ... we had electric fences when I was growing up and
getting zapped in some manner was a constant. Dad still uses them on
his horse farm to keep the yearlings honest.

Had too much sense to pee on one, but I can't tell you how many times
I got zapped trying to duck under one to get into the the next pasture
instead of walking a half mile to the gate ... a sweaty bare back
makes for hell of a conductor.

We had cows. Though in truth, I've never pee'd on an electric fence, I can
remember too many oops moments as I tried to step/jump over one. There is
that one moment when you realize you're straddling the thing and gravity is
going to win again...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/3/2010 7:36 AM, Mike Marlow wrote:
Swingman wrote:

Great story ... we had electric fences when I was growing up and
getting zapped in some manner was a constant. Dad still uses them on
his horse farm to keep the yearlings honest.

Had too much sense to pee on one, but I can't tell you how many times
I got zapped trying to duck under one to get into the the next pasture
instead of walking a half mile to the gate ... a sweaty bare back
makes for hell of a conductor.

We had cows. Though in truth, I've never pee'd on an electric fence, I can
remember too many oops moments as I tried to step/jump over one. There is
that one moment when you realize you're straddling the thing and gravity is
going to win again...

Nice driveby, Mike!

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 3, 7:23*am, Puckdropper puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:
wrote :

I thought mythbusters totally disproved it?

That was one that they proved. *If you have a solid stream of liquid to act
as a conductor, electricity can follow it. *They had quite a bit of trouble
getting a solid stream, but suceeded in the end.

No pun intended?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:

Great story ... we had electric fences when I was growing up and
getting zapped in some manner was a constant. Dad still uses them on
his horse farm to keep the yearlings honest.

Had too much sense to pee on one, but I can't tell you how many times
I got zapped trying to duck under one to get into the the next pasture
instead of walking a half mile to the gate ... a sweaty bare back
makes for hell of a conductor.

We had cows. Though in truth, I've never pee'd on an electric fence, I can
remember too many oops moments as I tried to step/jump over one. There is
that one moment when you realize you're straddling the thing and gravity is
going to win again...

Misjudging the distance to the fence, in the dark, will have the same
effect. Seems electric fence height is most effective about crotch high.

I do recall summer nights watching the sparks when the breezes blew the
Johnson grass stems against the fence ... no TV, had to get your
entertainment where you could!

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy wrote in
:

On Mar 3, 7:23*am, Puckdropper puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:
wrote
innews:9bc1ae89-d502-4c74-a835-bbb026bc60ed@j27g

2000yqn.googlegroups.com:

I thought mythbusters totally disproved it?

That was one that they proved. *If you have a solid stream of liquid

act
as a conductor, electricity can follow it. *They had quite a bit of
tro

uble
getting a solid stream, but suceeded in the end.

No pun intended?

Nope, didn't even realize there might have been something in there taken
as a pun.

Puckdropper

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 3, 12:39*pm, -MIKE- wrote:
On 3/3/10 6:23 AM, Puckdropper wrote:

wrote in
:

I thought mythbusters totally disproved it?

That was one that they proved. *If you have a solid stream of liquid to act
as a conductor, electricity can follow it. *They had quite a bit of trouble
getting a solid stream, but suceeded in the end.

Puckdropper

Really? *We're using mythbusters as our final word on science?

Love the show, but they *hardly* hold to scientific method and
occasionally get it right.

In this particular case, if the voltage/current is high enough, you
don't need a "continuous stream." *The electricity can arc from drop to
drop to drop.

--

* -MIKE-

* "Playing is not something I do at night, it's my function in life"
* * *--Elvin Jones *(1927-2004)
* --
*http://mikedrums.com
*
* ---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

The voltage would have to be one heckuva lot higher than the 600 volts
typically found on a third rail, which is what Mythbusters was trying
to establish.
For a charge to jump from one drop to the next, to the next the
voltage would have to be a lot higher, such as an electric fence.

Other than that, Mythbusters is a 'reality' show with a twist. They
like blowing **** up to get ratings. One is supposed to suspend any
belief in scientific methods.

Why so serious?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/3/10 12:55 PM, Robatoy wrote:
On Mar 3, 12:39 pm, wrote:
[...]

Not serious, just blabbin.

I don't think they ever got anywhere near 600 volts on the show.
I don't know the exact numbers, since I'm only recalling what my buddy
told me (electrical engineer for AEP), but lines that would fall from a
pole near a highway or roadway could be 1000+ volts, and certainly very
high current.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 3, 12:39 pm, *wrote:
[...]

Quite often as high as 23,000 volts. Pee on one of those, and all
that'll be left would be your boots. Dusty boots... likely just
footprints. The 4-part biggies go to 500KV and can carry upward of a
gigawatt.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 3, 12:39 pm, wrote:
[...]

I was trying to narrow it down do what would be carried by a pole that
could be knocked down in a car accident. But I've seen some pretty tall
aluminum poles near roadways, carrying distribution lines that are
certainly up near the 23k you mentioned.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote

Quite often as high as 23,000 volts. Pee on one of those, and all
that'll be left would be your boots. Dusty boots... likely just
footprints. The 4-part biggies go to 500KV and can carry upward of a
gigawatt.
=====================

Years ago I was reading about survivors of lightening stikes and industrial
electrical accidents. Talk about an extreme experience! One guy was inside
a big electrical relay room when they turned the power on. Some of these
folks changed their personality. Most were very grateful to be alive.

But the most interesting factoid was that some of them, no way to determine
a percentage, actually grew a third set of teeth. Think about the
impications for dental health! It would be hard to find research volunteers
though.

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
-MIKE- wrote:

On Mar 3, 12:39 pm, wrote:
[...]

'typical' residential distribution -- with a 'can' transformer per residence
is going to be in the more-or-less 1.2-4 KV range.

Feeds -to- a sub-station -- one that feeds the residential distribution -- tend
to be in the 15-35kv range.

Metro distribution is usually in the 75-141kv range.

Long haul primaries -- e.g., 'the grid' -- are in the 141kv and up range.
circa 25 years ago, I knew of a _few_ places that were as high as 600+ kv.

The breakdown voltage across an air gap -- what it takes to make a spark
_initially_ jump -- is in the range of 20-75kv/inch. "Clean, _dry_, air
ns at the high end of that range; "damp, dirty, polluted" stuff can be well
below the low end.

Insulation stand-offs tend to be 1" per 'few' KV

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 3, 4:59*pm, "Lee Michaels"
wrote:
"Robatoy" *wrote

Quite often as high as *23,000 volts. Pee on one of those, and all
that'll be left would be your boots. Dusty boots... likely just
footprints. *The 4-part biggies go to 500KV and can carry upward of a
gigawatt.
=====================

Years ago I was reading about survivors of lightening stikes and industrial
electrical accidents. *Talk about an extreme experience! One guy was inside
a big electrical relay room when they turned the power on. *Some of these
folks changed their personality. Most were very grateful to be alive.

But the most interesting factoid was that some of them, no way to determine
a percentage, actually grew a third set of teeth. Think about the
impications for dental health! *It would be hard to find research volunteers
though.

Some scientists speculate that a lightning strike hit the primordial
soup and it sprang to life.... over time...more so for some than
others....nebber mind.. BRAINSSSS
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 3, 5:30*pm, (Robert Bonomi) wrote:
In article ,

-MIKE- wrote:

On Mar 3, 12:39 pm, * *wrote:
[...]

That would all be pretty much spot on, sir. You have to go a ways to
be needing corona inhibitors.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 02 Mar 2010 23:26:22 -0600, the infamous Dave Balderstone
scrawled the following:

--tiny snippage--

Later that year, the pork was somehow even tastier than I had imagined.

I can imagine. So, Dave, do you have wall-to-wallow carpeting now?
gd&r

Good story. Thanks for sharing.

--
An author spends months writing a book, and maybe puts his
heart's blood into it, and then it lies about unread till

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 3 Mar 2010 01:36:39 -0800, the infamous "LDosser"
scrawled the following:

Lee Michaels wrote:

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...3cJDz2L...goes
to show ya, don't **** in the ditch.Lew

"The answer my friend, ain't ****in' in the wind.
The answer is ****in' in the sink."

The stream needs to be continuous. Mythbusters went there.

It would be, up until the point the 17kv went through it.
Nobody I know pees in morse code, y'know.

--
An author spends months writing a book, and maybe puts his
heart's blood into it, and then it lies about unread till
the reader has nothing else in the world to do.
-- W. Somerset Maugham, The Razor's Edge, 1943
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 3 Mar 2010 05:48:16 -0800 (PST), the infamous Robatoy
scrawled the following:

wrote :

I thought mythbusters totally disproved it?

That was one that they proved. *If you have a solid stream of liquid to act
as a conductor, electricity can follow it. *They had quite a bit of trouble
getting a solid stream, but suceeded in the end.

No pun intended?

Um, _what_ pun, Toy? "In the end"?

It really isn't funny. (wrong end)

--
An author spends months writing a book, and maybe puts his
heart's blood into it, and then it lies about unread till
the reader has nothing else in the world to do.
-- W. Somerset Maugham, The Razor's Edge, 1943
Posted to rec.woodworking

"LDosser" wrote:

Drink till midnight, **** till dawn!

The motto of the Pistol Club.