Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default Off Topic: Darwin Award

On 3/3/10 10:30 PM, Mark & Juanita wrote:
The voltage would have to be one heckuva lot higher than the 600 volts
typically found on a third rail, which is what Mythbusters was trying
to establish.

.... snip

Try 2000 to 4000 volts:
http://www.jefferslivestock.com/ssc/product.asp?CID=2&mscssid=WUVAX8K46M459H3EK4M41E26 DQQPF2V0&pf_id=17212

Reading the instructions for one of the units, they have a device you can
buy that will send an alert when voltage drops BELOW 4000 volts. Very low
current, so it's not dangerous, just extremely painful.

So they use a step-up. Makes sense. We've all done those science class
experiments with those weird globe things that sends 10k volts through
your body and makes your hair stand up.

I have a current detector that bugs the crap out of me because it beeps
just from rubbing against me or anything plastic. The customer support
guy said it's registering the voltage in the static electricity
generated from the friction which can be upwards over 600 volts.

Same buddy from AEP told me they've had guys killed from lines they knew
to be dead, but someone was running a generator in a residence, without
turning off their main breaker. The step-down transformers on the poles
built the current up back through the line and "bam!"

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--