Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Some people are really just plain stupid

In article , "Leon" wrote:

"Puckdropper" puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote in message
. ..

You've also got to get a new blade, too. I'm curious if the SawStop
technology would be effective enough if it would fire and just drop the
blade totally in to the saw rather than jamming it in to a piece of
metal. I realize there's no possibility of a second stage, where if
contact is still being made it could then stop the blade.

I'd rather have my fingers.

Think about that for a sec, if the blade simply fell below the surface and
continued to spin,,,, do you think a blade that is spinning against a finger
and moving down 1-3 inches would cut you?

No, I don't.

Remember that the lower the blade is, the farther the cutting edge is from the
front of the saw -- hence as the blade drops, it also moves away from your
fingers horizontally as well as vertically.

I think it would be imperative
that the blade stop spinning and perhaps not drop below the surface as an
alternative.

I don't think I agree. Watch -- carefully -- the slow-motion video at
sawstop.com, the one titled "How it Works". Pause it at 0:20 and step forward
a frame at a time, watching as the blade contacts a finger. It appears that
only one or two teeth actually touch it before the blade begins to drop.

Note also the manufacturer's statement that the blade stops in 5 msec.
A 40-tooth blade at 3450 rpm is moving 38.33 teeth per second, or 26 msec per
tooth.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 07 Jan 2010 18:20:35 -0600, HeyBub wrote:

1. Almost all women have average IQs (90-110), yielding an average of
100. Theirs is not a bell curve so much as a horizontal line. 2. Men are
pretty evenly distributed between 50 and 150, again yielding an average
of 100. Men's intelligence curve is also pretty much a straight line but
instead of horizontal, it's diagonal.

Interesting, if true. I did a Google and every reference I could find
says it's a bell curve. Would you please cite a reference supporting the
straight line hypothesis. I'd like to read it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/8/2010 10:24 AM, GarageWoodworks wrote:

Just for startersneed more let me know)

If she's a politician of any persuasion in this culture, compounding
loathsomeness is superfulous ... save your time, breath and fingers.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/8/2010 10:36 AM, Larry Blanchard wrote:
On Thu, 07 Jan 2010 18:20:35 -0600, HeyBub wrote:

1. Almost all women have average IQs (90-110), yielding an average of
100. Theirs is not a bell curve so much as a horizontal line. 2. Men are
pretty evenly distributed between 50 and 150, again yielding an average
of 100. Men's intelligence curve is also pretty much a straight line but
instead of horizontal, it's diagonal.

Interesting, if true. I did a Google and every reference I could find
says it's a bell curve. Would you please cite a reference supporting the
straight line hypothesis. I'd like to read it.

Most IQ tests indeed rank results in a Gaussian Bell Curve with a
standard deviation, depending on the test.

As with the maxim that "statistics lie and liars use statistics ..." you
can certainly massage the rankings, by grouping the results by
ethnicity, nationality, and other creative ways, ad infinitum to prove a
point/agendize.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 8, 2:24*am, Puckdropper puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:
"Larry C" wrote :

I am Woodcraft yesterday and I am looking at the Saw Stop saws. *No
money to buy one, but just thinking when I upgrade maybe I will go
that route. *On the saw there is a video playing that is demonstrating
the how the saw works.

Some other customer stands next to me and says: "What they don't tell
you is that after the saw does its thing in an emergency you need to
buy new parts from them to make the saw work again."

I say: "But you still have your fingers"

He then says: "But your saw won't work again until you buy the parts -
from them!"

I almost replied again with "You still have your fingers" but I
figured it was pointless. *Apparently this guy has figured out that
the corporate plan is to save your fingers but stick it to you in the
wallet afterwards.

Larry C

You've also got to get a new blade, too. *I'm curious if the SawStop
technology would be effective enough if it would fire and just drop the
blade totally in to the saw rather than jamming it in to a piece of
metal. *I realize there's no possibility of a second stage, where if
contact is still being made it could then stop the blade.

I'd rather have my fingers.

Puckdropper

Interesting new technology being developed he

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHajjMUrSOg

The blade is saved. The blade stops by use of a "proximity sensor".

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , GarageWoodworks wrote:
On Jan 8, 10:59=A0am, (Doug Miller) wrote:
In article =

..com, GarageWoodworks wrote:

On Jan 8, 7:36=3DA0am, (Doug Miller) wrote:
In article =

ups=3D
..com, RicodJour wrote:

On Jan 7, 4:43=3D3DA0pm, Swingman wrote:

I kept telling my youngest daughter that, on a daily basis, roughly=

ha=3D
lf
the people she deals with are below average IQ ... but she responde=

that I didn't factor in that many of them might be concentrated in =

one
area ... wherever it is that Al Franken lives.

Franken went to Harvard and graduated cum laude, so his IQ isn't in
question. =3DA0If you disagree with his politics, ethics or whatever =

else,
that might allow you to call him stupid, but not question his IQ.

He wasn't questioning *Franken's* intelligence, just the intelligence =

of =3D
the
people that voted for him.

More appropriately demonstrated by the reelection on the lunatic
Bachmann. =A0Franken, not so much.

Can't comment on that -- don't know anything about Ms. Bachmann. Hard to
imagine she's loonier than Franken, though...

Just for startersneed more let me know)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3D8bT01mC9xSA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3D2I1ix_82rTw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DOWV-ZWJCrY8

Like I said... hard to imagine she's loonier than Franken.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iapFBzcuTsI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEj7vit4G74

Posted to rec.woodworking

..com, RicodJour wrote:

[...]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iapFB...?v=rEj7vit4G74

Oy vey.
Posted to rec.woodworking

..com, RicodJour wrote:

[...]

Was that the best you could find? If it is, not adequate.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Steve Turner wrote:
On 1/7/2010 7:26 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:
Subject

One of my favorites for demonstrating stupidity:

"Me and Charlie went to the movie."

Hint:
It's the structure not the content.

Lew

Me went to the movie. Ugh!

My least favorite...

"Where's it at?"

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 8, 11:54=A0am, (Doug Miller) wrote:

Like I said... hard to imagine she's loonier than Franken.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DiapFBzcuTsI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?=v=3DrEj7vit4G74

Oy vey.

Loony, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder.
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , GarageWoodworks wrote:

Was that the best you could find? If it is, not adequate.

No -- I just couldn't stand listening to Franken any longer.

I didn't see anything in those clips of Bachmann to suggest that she's any
more of a lunatic than Tom Tancredo or Howard Dean.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 8, 11:16*am, Swingman wrote:
On 1/8/2010 8:15 AM, Robatoy wrote:

On Jan 7, 11:26 pm, *wrote:
... and why would YOU give a ****, eh?

He's Canadian, so he cares.

Some care, some don't, and, like your meddlesome and impertinent
neighbor down the street, it pays to identify.

I don't know the poster, but allow me to point out that there are a
lot of Canadians who take an interest in US politics. For several
reasons. Least of which is that we have nothing on the political
horizon ourselves which would stir any kind of interest. If you take
away spineless, idiotic douchebags, there is nothing left for us to
dislike.
Add to that, the cable companies carry all the
ABCNBNCCNNESPNCNETPBSCSB stations and henceforth we're inundated
with information from south of the border. Include the news from the
Net...and many of us are probably more informed about what's going on
than your average American...at least those of us who have an
interest.
In my case, I have a lot of friends, family in the US and I'm 5
minutes away from the border so sometimes I go shopping there JUST so
I won't have to read the ****ing french labels on our consumer goods.

Rusty is further away from me than you are from Massachusetts.... on
many levels. G

Oh... and we got something you don't have:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wjyrp...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xo4H1...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f98TaKJomnk

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 7, 11:26 pm, wrote:
... and why would YOU give a ****, eh?
He's Canadian, so he cares.

Some care, some don't, and, like your meddlesome and impertinent
neighbor down the street, it pays to identify.

I don't know the poster, but allow me to point out that there are a
lot of Canadians who take an interest in US politics. For several
reasons. Least of which is that we have nothing on the political
horizon ourselves which would stir any kind of interest. If you take
away spineless, idiotic douchebags, there is nothing left for us to
dislike.

Makes you wonder even more why anyone would then bother with looking
over the fence to opine on the same scenery?

Add to that, the cable companies carry all the
ABCNBNCCNNESPNCNETPBSCSB stations and henceforth we're inundated
with information from south of the border. Include the news from the
Net...and many of us are probably more informed about what's going on
than your average American...at least those of us who have an
interest.

Although misinformation does informed make, on either side of the
border, I/we feel your pain ...

In my case, I have a lot of friends, family in the US and I'm 5
minutes away from the border so sometimes I go shopping there JUST so
I won't have to read the ****ing french labels on our consumer goods.

Rusty is further away from me than you are from Massachusetts.... on
many levels.G

Oh... and we got something you don't have:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wjyrp...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xo4H1...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f98TaKJomnk

Dayum! What can we do to help??

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 7 Jan 2010 14:59:33 -0800 (PST), the infamous GarageWoodworks
scrawled the following:

On Jan 7, 4:43*pm, Swingman wrote:

I kept telling my youngest daughter that, on a daily basis, roughly half
the people she deals with are below average IQ ... but she responded
that I didn't factor in that many of them might be concentrated in one
area ... wherever it is that Al Franken lives.

I think you meant to write Michelle Bachman.

http://fwd4.me/Ae2 Six minutes into the video, she sounds OK to me.
That she was frowned upon by the Puffington Host is also a good sign.

--
We rightly care about the environment. But our neurotic obsession
with carbon betrays an inability to distinguish between pollution
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 07 Jan 2010 22:26:41 -0600, the infamous Swingman
scrawled the following:

On 1/7/2010 9:57 PM, Rusty wrote:

Frankin paid his taxes just to the wrong state, Bachmann tell the poor to
pull up there bootstraps then collects welfare for her farm to almost
800,000, it's a republican Hippocratic oath thing.Forget the coolaid chew
the teabag

IP Information - 70.67.34.24
Host name S01060020ed678525.pi.shawcable.net
Country Canada Canada
Country Code CA
Region British Columbia
City Port Alberni
Latitude 49.2333
Longitude -124.8

... and why would YOU give a ****, eh?

'Cuz they're next, after the Middle East?

--
We rightly care about the environment. But our neurotic obsession
with carbon betrays an inability to distinguish between pollution
and the stuff of life itself. --Bret Stephens, WSJ 1/5/10
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 7 Jan 2010 21:11:54 -0800 (PST), the infamous RicodJour
scrawled the following:

On Jan 7, 4:43*pm, Swingman wrote:

I kept telling my youngest daughter that, on a daily basis, roughly half
the people she deals with are below average IQ ... but she responded
that I didn't factor in that many of them might be concentrated in one
area ... wherever it is that Al Franken lives.

Franken went to Harvard and graduated cum laude, so his IQ isn't in
question. If you disagree with his politics, ethics or whatever else,
that might allow you to call him stupid, but not question his IQ.

Perhaps he meant for us to infer that the idiots who voted Franken
into office are in the lower ranks of IQ.

Franken is another perfect example of the pitfalls of overeducation.

--
We rightly care about the environment. But our neurotic obsession
with carbon betrays an inability to distinguish between pollution
and the stuff of life itself. --Bret Stephens, WSJ 1/5/10
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 08 Jan 2010 16:26:33 GMT, (Doug Miller)
wrote:

In article , "Leon" wrote:

"Puckdropper" puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote in message
.. .

[...]

IIRC, the original sawstop concept just jammed the blade; the
mechanism to drop it down was added a little later. I suspect these
are redundant mechanisms, each can do the job on its own, but both
together achieve the sort of reliability you would need in something
that's guaranteed to generate a lawsuit if it doesn't work.

My $.02

Paul F.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/8/2010 12:12 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

Franken is another perfect example of the pitfalls of overeducation.

How about of bein "educated beyond intelligence"?

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote in message
In my case, I have a lot of friends, family in the US and I'm 5
minutes away from the border so sometimes I go shopping there JUST so
I won't have to read the ****ing french labels on our consumer goods.

Rather come down here and read the Spanish lables?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 7 Jan 2010 20:07:58 -0800, the infamous "Rusty"
scrawled the following:

"Leon" wrote in message
m...

"Larry C" wrote in message
[...]

Too bad you did not think to ask him about Global Warming. LOL

I love how the anti climate change conspiracists

Huh? ACCC? Oh, you mean _skeptics_, those of us who don't fall for
the overinflated charts and Chicken Little stories of the alarmists?
And why does a finger saver relate to Warming? OK, with fewer
fingeers, we couldn't give you alarmists 'the finger' as often. Was
that it?

always come out in winter...it's not that hot right now!

And the AGWK alarmists always present in August, the hottest month.

Talking 1.5 to 3.5 degrees more at the poles than at the equator. The ice
flows are disappearing .
But then again maybe that puddle at the end of your driveway didn't have ice
on it like it did the same time last year.
Do your own research ..lol

Can you read? Try some of these:

_Hard Green_
by Peter Huber

_The Skeptical Envioronmentalist_
by Bjorn Lomborg

_Cool It: The Skeptical Environmentalist's Guide to Global Warming_
by Bjorn Lomborg (His newest book)

_Shattered Consensus: The True State of Global Warming_
by Patrick J. Michaels

_Unstoppable Global Warming, Every 1,500 Years_
by S. Fred Singer and Dennis Avery

_Terrestrial Energy_
by William tucker

_The Politically Incorrect Guide to Global Warming and
Environmentalism_
by Christopher Horner

_The Deniers: The World Renowned Scientists Who Stood Up Against
Global Warming Hysteria, Political Persecution, and Fraud**And those
who are too fearful to do so_
by Lawrence Solomon

_Earth Report 2000_
editor Roy Spencer, famous scientific authors

_State of Fear_ (bibliography, 23 or so pages of enviro books)
by Michael Crichton

and then get back to us, 'K?

If you're still an AGWK whacko after reading a few of those books,
I'll eat my hat.

--
We rightly care about the environment. But our neurotic obsession
with carbon betrays an inability to distinguish between pollution
and the stuff of life itself. --Bret Stephens, WSJ 1/5/10
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 7 Jan 2010 21:06:46 -0800 (PST), the infamous RicodJour
scrawled the following:

On Jan 7, 8:26*pm, "Lew Hodgett" wrote:
Subject

One of my favorites for demonstrating stupidity:

"Me and Charlie went to the movie."

Hint:
It's the structure not the content.

What movie did you see?

Lew, I think what Ricky's trying to say is "Me and Nonny jes don't
gayet it, Lew. Where you at? Let's talk some." gd&r

--
We rightly care about the environment. But our neurotic obsession
with carbon betrays an inability to distinguish between pollution
and the stuff of life itself. --Bret Stephens, WSJ 1/5/10
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/7/2010 9:57 PM, Rusty wrote:

Frankin paid his taxes just to the wrong state, Bachmann tell the poor to
pull up there bootstraps then collects welfare for her farm to almost
800,000, it's a republican Hippocratic oath thing.Forget the coolaid chew
the teabag

IP Information - 70.67.34.24
Host name * S01060020ed678525.pi.shawcable.net
Country * * Canada Canada
Country Code * * * *CA
Region * * *British Columbia
City * * * *Port Alberni
Latitude * *49.2333
Longitude * -124.8

... and why would YOU give a ****, eh?

'Cuz they're next, after the Middle East?

Oh, okay.. that means we won't have to worry for a few hundred years
or more..
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/7/2010 9:57 PM, Rusty wrote:

Frankin paid his taxes just to the wrong state, Bachmann tell the poor
pull up there bootstraps then collects welfare for her farm to almost
800,000, it's a republican Hippocratic oath thing.Forget the coolaid
chew
the teabag

IP Information - 70.67.34.24
Host name S01060020ed678525.pi.shawcable.net
Country Canada Canada
Country Code CA
Region British Columbia
City Port Alberni
Latitude 49.2333
Longitude -124.8

... and why would YOU give a ****, eh?

'Cuz they're next, after the Middle East?

Oh, okay.. that means we won't have to worry for a few hundred years
or more..

It won't take that long. People will get tired of it at some point and we'll
just give up and claim a great victory.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"GarageWoodworks" wrote in message
On Jan 8, 2:24 am, Puckdropper puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:

Interesting new technology being developed he

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHajjMUrSOg

The blade is saved. The blade stops by use of a "proximity sensor".

Interesting technology but I can tell you from personal experience that
stopping in about 1 second is not nearly fast enought to prevent bad cut.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
In article , "Leon"
wrote:

[...]

I have not seen the video lately but will take your word for it. Still, I
think I would trust a blade that actually stops over one that moves out of
the way.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 01/08/2010 01:24 AM, Puckdropper wrote:
I'm curious if the SawStop
technology would be effective enough if it would fire and just drop the
blade totally in to the saw rather than jamming it in to a piece of
metal.

It is the fact that the spinning blade is suddenly stopped (by jamming a
chunk of aluminum into it) that provides the energy to drop the blade
suddenly.

If you don't stop the blade, then some entirely different mechanism
would be necessary to drop it quickly.

Chris
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 01/08/2010 12:14 PM, Paul Franklin wrote:

IIRC, the original sawstop concept just jammed the blade; the
mechanism to drop it down was added a little later. I suspect these
are redundant mechanisms, each can do the job on its own, but both
together achieve the sort of reliability you would need in something
that's guaranteed to generate a lawsuit if it doesn't work.

They're not independent mechanisms, the angular momentum of the spinning
blade is used to drop it below the surface when it is stopped quickly.
That's why it drops so fast.

Chris
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , "Leon" wrote:

I have not seen the video lately but will take your word for it. Still, I
think I would trust a blade that actually stops over one that moves out of
the way.

Seems to me that SawStop provides the best of both worlds: it stops the blade,
and uses the energy of the rotating blade to drop the trunnion so the blade
moves out of the way too.

My next TS will definitely be a SawStop. Just have to figure out how to afford
one first...

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in
:

"burtwitlin" wrote in message
.
..
If you aren't carefull enough to keep your fingers out of the
sawbalde you shouldn't be using one!

Obviousely you have not been using a saw long enough to know that that
is a rather uninformed comment. Yeah 20 years experience says nothing
for some people. There are many many more way to be cut by the saw
blade than when you are cutting wood.

I was ripping a 2x4 once, doing everything I knew to do for safety and
using the tool properly, and the wood just exploded. Well, not exploded
really, but about 3/4 of the way through the rip it suddenly twisted,
broke, and generally went nuts.

The point here is that sometimes accidents happen without you doing
anything wrong. Careful has little to do with it.

Puckdropper
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 8, 3:05*pm, "Leon" wrote:
"GarageWoodworks" wrote in message

On Jan 8, 2:24 am, Puckdropper puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:

Interesting new technology being developed he

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHajjMUrSOg

The blade is saved. * The blade stops by use of a "proximity sensor".

Interesting technology but I can tell you from personal experience that
stopping in about 1 second is not nearly fast enought to prevent bad cut.

It uses a "proximity sensor". It's not 1 sec after you touch the
blade. It's one second after you "are too close" to the blade.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 8, 3:36*pm, Chris Friesen wrote:
On 01/08/2010 12:14 PM, Paul Franklin wrote:

IIRC, the original sawstop concept just jammed the blade; the
mechanism to drop it down was added a little later. *I suspect these
are redundant mechanisms, each can do the job on its own, but both
together achieve the sort of reliability you would need in something
that's guaranteed to generate a lawsuit if it doesn't work.

They're not independent mechanisms, the angular momentum of the spinning
blade is used to drop it below the surface when it is stopped quickly.
That's why it drops so fast.

Chris

It's the good old 'catastrophe in exchange for a catastrophe' method.
Like an air bag or an ejection seat. The fun part of the SawStop is
that it stores and releases its own energy. It is very, very clever. I
had a great time chatting with the rep at the Toronto Woodworking
Machinery show a cpl of months back. It's a beautiful saw, really well
made. I'd be proud and happy to own a piece of gear like that.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
"GarageWoodworks" wrote in message
On Jan 8, 2:24 am, Puckdropper puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:

Interesting new technology being developed he

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHajjMUrSOg

The blade is saved. The blade stops by use of a "proximity sensor".

Interesting technology but I can tell you from personal experience
that stopping in about 1 second is not nearly fast enought to prevent
bad cut.

looking at it closely, it stops the blade before your fingers get too near
it. unless you're pushing wood in really fast, the blade would stop before
your parts would get near the blade.

it detects the difference in light reflections by using some led lights and
some sensors i would guess. seems that it could be fooled, and how would one
use a push stick with that overhead guard?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Larry Blanchard wrote:
On Thu, 07 Jan 2010 18:20:35 -0600, HeyBub wrote:

1. Almost all women have average IQs (90-110), yielding an average of
100. Theirs is not a bell curve so much as a horizontal line. 2. Men
are pretty evenly distributed between 50 and 150, again yielding an
average of 100. Men's intelligence curve is also pretty much a
straight line but instead of horizontal, it's diagonal.

Interesting, if true. I did a Google and every reference I could find
says it's a bell curve. Would you please cite a reference supporting
the straight line hypothesis. I'd like to read it.

"Studies consistently show greater variance in the performance of men
compared to that of women (i.e., men are more represented at the extremes of
performance), and that men and women have statistically significant
differences in average scores on tests of particular abilities"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sex_and_intelligence

So there's a greater variance among men. Men on the big-dummy side of the
curve are locked-up, driven out of town, live under a bridge, or get killed
early. The women just putter along.

For women, it IS a bell curve, it's just pretty flat like a very intelligent
woman's boobs.

I recall reading a peer-reviewed article in the Journal of Irreproducible
Results years ago that showed a female's IQ could be approximated as a
function of breast and waist measurements. As I recall the formula looked
something like:

IQ = 75 / SQRT [Breast - Waist]

Lab PhD (32/29) = 75 / SQRT (3) = 130
Lab Receptionist (36/22) = 75 / SQRT (14) = 75/3.75 = 20
Pregnant tecnician (34/58) = Imaginary number

The authors concluded more work was needed on the equation.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

But how fast can you stop it?

A 10" blade (~3' in circumfrence) rotating at 3450 rpm is moving the outer
edge at roughly 120 MPH. You ain't gonna stop anything moving that fast in
mere milliseconds without ripping something all to shreds and perhaps
destroying all life on the planet.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 08 Jan 2010 17:41:00 -0600, HeyBub wrote:

Larry Blanchard wrote:
On Thu, 07 Jan 2010 18:20:35 -0600, HeyBub wrote:

1. Almost all women have average IQs (90-110), yielding an average of
100. Theirs is not a bell curve so much as a horizontal line. 2. Men
are pretty evenly distributed between 50 and 150, again yielding an
average of 100. Men's intelligence curve is also pretty much a
straight line but instead of horizontal, it's diagonal.

Interesting, if true. I did a Google and every reference I could find
says it's a bell curve. Would you please cite a reference supporting
the straight line hypothesis. I'd like to read it.

"Studies consistently show greater variance in the performance of men
compared to that of women (i.e., men are more represented at the
extremes of performance), and that men and women have statistically
significant differences in average scores on tests of particular
abilities"

I'm still looking for the cite of an article that says IQ distribution is
a straight line - for men or women. You answered a question I didn't ask.

Posted to rec.woodworking

om...

Larry Blanchard wrote:
[...]

I think he was making an attempt at humour...

Either that or he has absolutely no idea what he is talking about...

Posted to rec.woodworking

The blade is saved. The blade stops by use of a "proximity sensor".

Interesting technology but I can tell you from personal experience that
stopping in about 1 second is not nearly fast enought to prevent bad
cut.

It uses a "proximity sensor". It's not 1 sec after you touch the
blade. It's one second after you "are too close" to the blade.

Which is about a half second after you loose your fingers...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 8, 5:48 pm, "HeyBub" wrote:

But how fast can you stop it?

A 10" blade (~3' in circumfrence) rotating at 3450 rpm is moving the outer
edge at roughly 120 MPH. You ain't gonna stop anything moving that fast in
mere milliseconds without ripping something all to shreds and perhaps
destroying all life on the planet.

Just think... now you won't have to embarass yourself in front of your
friends while beating the living **** out of this dead horse.

http://www.toolcrib.com/blog/2008/11...r-in-a-sawstop

No big words. Just scroll down a bit to the video.

Robert