Jon

Default Help finding old router part

I've got an older (10-15 years?) Craftsman router model 315.17380 and
need a replacement part. The notched hex nut broke the other day, and
when I tried to order the part through the Craftsman website I was
told the part was no longer available. After calling their help line,
they suggested my local Sears parts store (in Albuquerque), which was
also unable to locate the part. I like this router and really don't
want to have replace it because of a $0.50 part. Any suggestions?
Part number is 1-623793-01.
Thanks!
Jon
Bob S.

Jon,

I just did a quick meta-search and found a bunch of old posts where others
are (unsuccessfully) looking for the same part.

Time to read the Crowbar FAQ I'm afraid....

Bob S.

"Jon" wrote in message
om...
I've got an older (10-15 years?) Craftsman router model 315.17380 and
need a replacement part. The notched hex nut broke the other day, and
when I tried to order the part through the Craftsman website I was
told the part was no longer available. After calling their help line,
they suggested my local Sears parts store (in Albuquerque), which was
also unable to locate the part. I like this router and really don't
want to have replace it because of a $0.50 part. Any suggestions?
Part number is 1-623793-01.
Thanks!
Jon

Lyndell Thompson

Jon, Got one around here that the armature went south on it. Not sure on
the number will try to check for number. I always keep small parts like
that. I need more info though. Is it the collet nut you are after or does
this nut go elsewhere? Is it 1/4 or 1/2" collet if the answer to the above
question is yes? The old router I have is a 1/4" collet. Also a company in
Louisville Ky called "Tool repair service" seems to be able to get
anything. Will try to get you a phone number tomorrow. Lyndell

"Jon" wrote in message
om...
I've got an older (10-15 years?) Craftsman router model 315.17380 and
need a replacement part. The notched hex nut broke the other day, and
when I tried to order the part through the Craftsman website I was
told the part was no longer available. After calling their help line,
they suggested my local Sears parts store (in Albuquerque), which was
also unable to locate the part. I like this router and really don't
want to have replace it because of a $0.50 part. Any suggestions?
Part number is 1-623793-01.
Thanks!
Jon

Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon
I've got an older (10-15 years?) Craftsman router model 315.17380 and
need a replacement part. The notched hex nut broke the other day, and
when I tried to order the part through the Craftsman website I was
told the part was no longer available. After calling their help line,
they suggested my local Sears parts store (in Albuquerque), which was
also unable to locate the part. I like this router and really don't
want to have replace it because of a $0.50 part. Any suggestions?
Part number is 1-623793-01.
Thanks!
Jon
I have need of the same part as you Jon. Did you or anyone else have success in finding it?
Thanks,
Jerry
Posted to rec.woodworking
Doug Schultz

If you bring this broken part to any good machine shop you should be able to
have it made special for you for a reasonable amount of money.

Doug

--
Jerry S

Posted to rec.woodworking
Edwin Pawlowski

"Jerry S" wrote in message

The notched hex nut broke the other day, and
when I tried to order the part through the Craftsman website I was
told the part was no longer available.

Do you have the specification of the thread and the nut size? Will anything
stock from a supply house work? Take a look at McMaster or a place that
specializes in fasteners.

Posted to rec.woodworking
hylourgos

Jerry S wrote:
snip

I have need of the same part as you Jon. Did you or anyone else have
success in finding it?
Thanks,
Jerry

As an alternative, if this is the collet nut you refer to, you might
look into replacing it with a "QuickRout" bit connector, also sold
through Sears. Then you'll have quick bit replacement capacity to boot.

Posted to rec.woodworking
CW

Define reasonable. My shop rate is $80.00 per hour, one hour minimum. No
offense intended but many people seem to think that machine shops work for
near nothing.

"Jerry S" wrote in message

Jon Wrote:
I've got an older (10-15 years?) Craftsman router model 315.17380 and
need a replacement part. The notched hex nut broke the other day, and
when I tried to order the part through the Craftsman website I was
told the part was no longer available. After calling their help line,
they suggested my local Sears parts store (in Albuquerque), which was
also unable to locate the part. I like this router and really don't
want to have replace it because of a $0.50 part. Any suggestions?
Part number is 1-623793-01.
Thanks!
Jon

I have need of the same part as you Jon. Did you or anyone else have
success in finding it?
Thanks,
Jerry

--
Jerry S

Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hylourgos
Jerry S wrote:
snip

I have need of the same part as you Jon. Did you or anyone else have
success in finding it?
Thanks,
Jerry

As an alternative, if this is the collet nut you refer to, you might
look into replacing it with a "QuickRout" bit connector, also sold
through Sears. Then you'll have quick bit replacement capacity to boot.

Folks - thanks for your suggestions. My son, also, suggested having the part made. However, the cost implies that one must be really attached to this commercial grade router to invest in making a new part. One can purchase new Craftsman routers between $60 to $100 or more with easier to use features today.
Regardless of my final solution to the part need, I have another challenge: how to remove the bit that is currently in the collet. Any suggestions?
Posted to rec.woodworking
CW

True. Mass production has brought the price of things down so far that a
realistic charge for a one off item seems totally outrages.

"Ba r r y" wrote in message
On Sun, 04 Dec 2005 05:46:40 GMT, "CW" wrote:

Define reasonable. My shop rate is $80.00 per hour, one hour minimum. No
offense intended but many people seem to think that machine shops work

for
near nothing.

Many think the same of woodworkers... 8^(

Posted to rec.woodworking
hylourgos

For removing rusted stuff, I'll put a Liquid Wrench type of lube on it
once or twice a day for 3 or so days, then attack it. Tapping sometimes
helps, as does the application of heat (Careful not to catch the lube
on fire. A heat gun is better here than a torch). You might even get a
long-reach socket to fit--then you could use an impact driver, that'd
get it easy. As long as you didn't install the bit all the way into the
collet in the first place, you can use a hunk of wood to beat it down
once you loosen the collet (if the bit is rusted in place).

Just some ideas,
H.

Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hylourgos
For removing rusted stuff, I'll put a Liquid Wrench type of lube on it
once or twice a day for 3 or so days, then attack it. Tapping sometimes
helps, as does the application of heat (Careful not to catch the lube
on fire. A heat gun is better here than a torch). You might even get a
long-reach socket to fit--then you could use an impact driver, that'd
get it easy. As long as you didn't install the bit all the way into the
collet in the first place, you can use a hunk of wood to beat it down
once you loosen the collet (if the bit is rusted in place).

Just some ideas,
H.
Thanks for the suggestions.
I finally removed the bit with an impact technique - hammer and wrench. The parts were gummed not rusted.
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hylourgos
Jerry S wrote:
snip

I have need of the same part as you Jon. Did you or anyone else have
success in finding it?
Thanks,
Jerry

As an alternative, if this is the collet nut you refer to, you might
look into replacing it with a "QuickRout" bit connector, also sold
through Sears. Then you'll have quick bit replacement capacity to boot.

A great idea! I almost bought one. However, upon examination, the "QuickRout" connector does not appear to fit my router. Although it is claimed to fit all Craftsman routers (comes in 1/4" & 1/2" bit shaft sizes), this is apparently not true for the very old ones. These connectors are collets intended to fit tightly over smooth shafts. Mine is a larger diameter one with threads.

Has anyone used this connector successfully on this model number router?
Junior Member

Jon and others in need of this part or other parts: There is another possible solution. I had the part made at my local vocational school. It was made in steel with just a slight modification relative to the original part. Their practice is to charge $7 to $10 an hour (I forget the exact amount) if the work is extensive; otherwise, the part is made without expense to you. They and you both win ; they get a project and you get your replacement part. The practicality of the approach depends upon the proximity of your vocational school.

It should be noted that this was not my idea, but suggested by another gentlemen from Kentucky.
Posted to rec.woodworking
CW

That works fine for those that can find a place like that. Trouble is, most
of these schools (in WA at least) get government funding so they can not do
outside work. The private schools can do so.

"Jerry S" wrote in message
Jerry S

Jon and others in need of this part or other parts: There is another
possible solution. I had the part made at my local vocational school.
It was made in steel with just a slight modification relative to the
original part. Their practice is to charge $7 to $10 an hour (I forget
the exact amount) if the work is extensive; otherwise, the part is made
without expense to you. They and you both win ; they get a project and
you get your replacement part. The practicality of the approach depends
upon the proximity of your vocational school.

opinion on craftsman router Ah10201 Woodworking 25 March 5th 04 04:59 PM
router and router table question cornytheclown Woodworking 6 February 19th 04 07:51 PM
Router Cabinet bowhunter Woodworking 8 February 19th 04 04:22 PM
Review of the new Porter Cable 895PK- Part 1 Greg G. Woodworking 37 January 8th 04 02:37 AM
last chapter in router saga Tim Simmons Woodworking 5 September 28th 03 05:50 PM