Ah10201

Default opinion on craftsman router

I've been reading some of the posts on routers and was a little confused.
I've just started investing some money on tools and from all accounts, everyone
hates craftsman routers. However, most people seem to start off with a
craftsman router and then move on to a better model.
Is craftsman router the thing a beginner should start with since its
relatively inexpensive and later move on to a better model once you've become
comfortable and more experienced with wood? or does everyone consider owning a
craftsman router a huge mistake and not worth the money whatsoever?

thanks...
Silvan

Ah10201 wrote:

become comfortable and more experienced with wood? or does everyone
consider owning a craftsman router a huge mistake and not worth the money
whatsoever?

I'm not in the "all Crapsman is junk, and only idiots buy Crapsman" camp by
any stretch, but my Crapsman router is just about the most useless machine
I've ever bought.

The big two problems a impossible to keep bit height consistent, due to
the bad collet and the bad height setting mechanism; difficult to avoid
gouges/digs because the entire motor shaft flexes from side to side a hell
of a lot.

I can use it if I use it in a table, set the bit height by propping hunks of
scrap under it until I get it as close as it's going to get, and then tread
very, very lightly feeding the work into the bit, so as to avoid the flex
problem. That will sometimes deliver a halfway decent cut with only a few
problems. It's a far cry from router magic.

I have no idea what else to suggest, since this POS is my only router, but I
sure wouldn't want to buy it again.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

Unisaw A100

Ah10201 wrote:
I've been reading some of the posts on routers and was a little confused.
I've just started investing some money on tools and from all accounts, everyone
hates craftsman routers. However, most people seem to start off with a
craftsman router and then move on to a better model.

That's because most people are growing up in/have grown up
in a world where they have been deceived by Craftsman's
history of quality, i.e., once upon a time... Well, those
days are sadly long gone, by a quarter of a century to be
semi-specific.

Is craftsman router the thing a beginner should start with since its
relatively inexpensive and later move on to a better model once you've become
comfortable and more experienced with wood?

It's a false economy to buy something that won't last and
will have to be replaced. The Craftsman router is the best
example of this.

As for "moving on once you've become more experienced", I
think this is the only reason to ever own a Craftsman
router. Let me explain. Owning and getting rid of a
Craftsman router is a rite of passage. The wooddorking
highways are littered with the bodies of these routers.
Smarter owners have heeded the advice (advise in wreckspeak)
of the wise sage Steve Wallace (do a Google search) and
converted their Craftsman router into something useful.

or does everyone consider owning a
craftsman router a huge mistake and not worth the money whatsoever?

Let's put it this way, there was once someone here (name
forgotten but I wish someone would go to the archives and
unearth this wise man) who made the statement,

"When was the last time you took your (insert name of good
machine/tool) and threw it against the wall and said, Wish
I'd a bought a piece of **** (insert name of good
machine/tool) instead of this thing".

Save the few extra bucks. Buy the least expensive
(non-plunge) router you can afford. Save some more money
and buy the best plunge router you can afford. Save some
more money and buy the best 3ish horsepower fixed base you
can afford.

No really. I'm still in the single digits but not by much.

UA100
Bill B

Bought a crapsman 1 hp router 25 years ago. Features dual stage ARHA (Auto
Random Height Adjustment). The collet is about impossible to get tight
enough to hold the bits and you can't tighten the body clamp enough to keep
the motor from slowly settling down (a pair of vise grips soon replaced the
funky wing nut and bolt, does work much better this way). Add in a
lightweight shaft and low quality bearings, the chatter is so bad that cuts
of over 1/8" deep are virtually impossible.

So anyway, about 3 years ago, Sears gave me a $100 coupon as part of their
court ordered settlement with card holders. Nothing I could find to spend
it on, so since I was wanting a new router, guess what. Yep, a new 1.5 hp,
variable speed followed me home. After 25 years I was glad to see they had
kept the dual stage ARHA and the same wimpy shaft and bearings.

Bit the bullet a while ago and bought a Hitachi 12V. A world of difference.
Find myself using it for everything.

--

Bill B.
Loveland Colorado

This keyboard of mine has only one button, which says: Delete Thread. So I
ask again: Do you feel lucky? Well do ya, Troll!?!

"Ah10201" wrote in message
I've been reading some of the posts on routers and was a little

confused.
I've just started investing some money on tools and from all accounts,

everyone
hates craftsman routers. However, most people seem to start off with a
craftsman router and then move on to a better model.
Is craftsman router the thing a beginner should start with since its
relatively inexpensive and later move on to a better model once you've

become
comfortable and more experienced with wood? or does everyone consider

owning a
craftsman router a huge mistake and not worth the money whatsoever?

thanks...

Doug Miller

In article , (Ah10201) wrote:
I've been reading some of the posts on routers and was a little confused.
I've just started investing some money on tools and from all accounts, everyone
hates craftsman routers. However, most people seem to start off with a
craftsman router and then move on to a better model.

IMO, it makes more sense to start off with the better model. :-) And yes, my
first router was a Craftsman too. In my own defense, let me state that (1) I
was about 20 years old when I bought it and didn't really know any better, and
(2) that was [mumble] years ago, back when Craftsman power tools were actually
decent.

Is craftsman router the thing a beginner should start with since its
relatively inexpensive and later move on to a better model once you've become
comfortable and more experienced with wood?

No. Start with a better one, and you don't have to worry about the
deficiencies of the tool obstructing the process of becoming "comfortable and
more experienced".

Do a Google Groups search for the acronym ARHA (Automatic Random Height
Adjustment), a problem that afflicts many (most?) Craftsman routers, and
you'll see just one reason to buy a Bosch or Porter-Cable. There's not *that*
much difference in the price, anyway.

or does everyone consider owning a
craftsman router a huge mistake and not worth the money whatsoever?

IMO buying a *new* one is not a good idea. If you can find a used one, made in
the 70s or earlier, that's still in good shape, that may be a different story.
But if you're going to look at used routers, you're better off looking for
used Bosch or Porter-Cable tools on eBay.

--
Regards,

For a copy of my TrollFilter for NewsProxy/Nfilter,
send email to autoresponder at filterinfo-at-milmac-dot-com

Mike Marlow

Ah10201 wrote:
I've been reading some of the posts on routers and was a little
confused. I've just started investing some money on tools and from
all accounts, everyone hates craftsman routers. However, most people
seem to start off with a craftsman router and then move on to a
better model. Is craftsman router the thing a beginner should
start with since its relatively inexpensive and later move on to a
better model once you've become comfortable and more experienced with
wood? or does everyone consider owning a craftsman router a huge
mistake and not worth the money whatsoever?

thanks...

Well - I started one of the most recent threads as I was embarking on my
quest to replace my POS Craftsman. To be fair, and as I said in another
post, my POS actually did route for a number of years. It did suffer from
creep in the collet and ruined more than one piece of wood in the process,
but I simply reset the bit, reefed on the collet and routed on. For the
most part, it worked. Mine will be taking a hike down the road to my son's
house from here since he does not own a router and it will do a job for him
as it did for me over the years. These days I'm just increasingly
intolerant of fundamental design flaws like the Craftsman router exhibits,
and with a wild hair up my butt, some of the other recent POS Craftsman
discussions here were all I needed to go out and buy a new router. Some
times ya just gotta love those wild hairs.

To answer your questions - yes the Craftsman router is a beginner's router.
But then again, so is any 1/4in router in my opinion. Today I would not
recommend a 1/4in router to anyone who is going out to spend money on their
first router - nothing but 1/2in. When I bought my 1/4in router, I was very
price sensative - economic realities prevailed at the time. Today, I can be
more value focused. It all depends where you are. If you can spend the
money then go with the guys that do this stuff well - Makita, DeWalt, Porter
Cable, etc.... and of course, anything red... Milwaukee (sigh.....). The
only problem I had with buying a Milwaukee router is that they obviously
aren't in the router market the way they are in the saw market - very
limited product line and packaging options.

Owning my POS Craftsman was not a mistake. I made a lot of very nice, very
fine items with that router. I wasted a small amount of wood, but I got the
job done with that router. I'm giving it to my son this weekend and he'll
get a lot of work out of it as well. I suspect we'll have a hand at that
collet this weekend before he takes it home - I believe there's a way to
make it more stable and we can eliminate that problem area to a very high
degree. As for it's inherant limitations as a 1/4in machine - well you just
route in more passes. You get to enjoy your tool more that way. It's like
any other tool - know your tool's limitations, stay within them, and don't
forget to think your way through a project or a problem. Just because you
really can't simply load a bit in a router like this and blast your way
through a hunk of wood does not make it totally unuseable - it means you
have to be very careful in how you use it. Too careful, maybe, but it will
work.

--

-Mike-

Edwin Pawlowski

Ah10201 wrote:
However, most people
seem to start off with a craftsman router and then move on to a
better model. Is craftsman router the thing a beginner should
start with since its relatively inexpensive and later move on to a
better model once you've become comfortable and more experienced with
wood?

Some of us remember when Craftsman was a good tool. They have gone down in
quality and you won't find real craftsman using them any more. If I knew
then what I know now, I never would have owned the Craftsman.

Porter Cable, DeWalt, Bosch, Hitachi are good. Visit www.patwarner.com for
some good advice and reviews.
--
Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

Mike R Courteau

Bought a 15" woodlathe from Sears January 2003 on sale for $350 down from
$699. Sept 2003, the main belt goes. 2 months to repair at a cost to them
(they give you the invoice) of $464. Seven parts had crapped out including
bearings, etc. Lathe comes back working but noisy as hell. Enough to _have_
to wear ear protection during use! A note on the invoice says the fan needs
replacing but the lathe is ok to use. One month later, sure enough the motor
seizes (no fan cooling things off obviously). Estimated repair bill $600.
They refuse to honor the warranty and the only offer if to refund my
$350...unless I'm willing to pay the difference between the $350 and the
price of a new one!

Sears used to be a good company to deal with. 15 years as an auto and heavy
duty mechanic and the worse thing that ever happened was 1 broken socket
which was replaced immediately accompanied with profuse apologies. Not any
more. I could never understand why so many people were putting Craftsman
down. Now I know.

Bye bye Sears.

Mike
Ottawa, Canada

"Trees were created out-of-round on purpose to keep
all those pesky little woodturners out of mischief !"

Interested in Woodturning? Check out
http://valleywoodturners.userworld.com/

"Ah10201" wrote in message
I've been reading some of the posts on routers and was a little

confused.
I've just started investing some money on tools and from all accounts,

everyone
hates craftsman routers. However, most people seem to start off with a
craftsman router and then move on to a better model.
Is craftsman router the thing a beginner should start with since its
relatively inexpensive and later move on to a better model once you've

become
comfortable and more experienced with wood? or does everyone consider

owning a
craftsman router a huge mistake and not worth the money whatsoever?

thanks...

Wes Stewart

On 28 Feb 2004 06:45:29 GMT, (Ah10201) wrote:

| I've been reading some of the posts on routers and was a little confused.
|I've just started investing some money on tools and from all accounts, everyone
|hates craftsman routers. However, most people seem to start off with a
|craftsman router and then move on to a better model.

"Move on" is the operative phrase. You'll get a lot of good advice
about avoiding Craftsman. That said, I have an old one mounted upside
down in a homemade router table that I've never had a problem with. I
hear a lot about bits moving in the chuck but (knock on wood, no pun
intended) it hasn't happened to me.

For my "real" router I have a DeWalt 625 that is big, (top)heavy,
awkward and expensive. I don't recommend it for a first purchase.

| Is craftsman router the thing a beginner should start with since its
|relatively inexpensive and later move on to a better model once you've become
|comfortable and more experienced with wood? or does everyone consider owning a
|craftsman router a huge mistake and not worth the money whatsoever?

Almost everyone started with some Sears stuff, often acquired as
gifts. Well meaning friends and relatives who know you're interested
in woodworking are Sears' best friend. I have such a thing in a
Craftsman 12" bandsaw. What a piece of crap.

One further feather-ruffling point: some woodworkers get real
emotional about tools and start ascribing magical properties to them.
Don't fall into this trap. A router is a motor with a chuck attached
that holds and rotates a cutting bit at the appropriate speed and a
platform that is 90 degrees to the axis of rotation. Period.

Your router purchase is only the beginning. Buying bits is where the
costs mount and quality really matters. I've had good success with
Whiteside bits available at routerbits.com. (I'm just a satisfied
customer and have no association with them)

Wes

Luigi Zanasi

On 28 Feb 2004 06:45:29 GMT, (Ah10201) scribbled:

I've been reading some of the posts on routers and was a little confused.
I've just started investing some money on tools and from all accounts, everyone
hates craftsman routers. However, most people seem to start off with a
craftsman router and then move on to a better model.
Is craftsman router the thing a beginner should start with since its
relatively inexpensive and later move on to a better model once you've become
comfortable and more experienced with wood? or does everyone consider owning a
craftsman router a huge mistake and not worth the money whatsoever?

I would not object to other Sears tools. Not the best tools, but
usually OK. At least they get mixed reviews - some people like them,
others don't.

Routers, on the other hand, often suffer from what we have termed
"Automatic Random Height Adjustment" where the bit unexpectedly slips
in the collet (the part that holds the router bit). Many of us have
suffered from it and ruined much wood with them. And it can't be fixed
because the collet is one piece with the shaft. In other routers, you
can replace the collet when it becomes worn. And we're not talking
about daily industrial use in a furniture factory either. So the
answer is that, yes, they are a mistake and they quickly become
useless, not to say dangerous, when the ARHA kicks in. You can get
other better routers at similar prices.

Or you can do what JOAT does: only use one bit, use loctite in the
collet, and only change it when it wears out.

This is my opinion, YMMV, and it's worth exactly what you're paying
for it.

Luigi
Replace "nonet" with "yukonomics" for real email address
www.yukonomics.ca/wooddorking/antifaq.html
www.yukonomics.ca/wooddorking/humour.html
Walt Conner

You'll get a lot of good advice about avoiding Craftsman.

I have two 40 year old Craftsman Routers that are great. I don't think I
would buy a present day one. If I were starting out now, I think I would buy
a Porter Cable 690 family, not too heavy, 1/2" or 1/4" chuck, excellent
reputation, many years on the market and now available with rariable speed.
I have 5 Routers altogether, don't like to change bits.

I have such a thing in a Craftsman 12" bandsaw. What a piece of crap

I also have 2 - 12" Craftsman Band Saws. They are just as good as the 14"
Delta of a friends I used. One key thing with any band saw is adjustment.
These are older ones also as was the Delta.

Walt Conner

Anthony Diodati

Why Even F#@K with it??
Tony D.
"Mike Marlow" wrote in message
link.net...
Ah10201 wrote:Snip

[...]

Don Dando

Kicking Craftsman around is the "vogue" thing to do. Many of us have
Craftsman routers and I've had good luck with all 3 of mine. I've had to
replace the ball bearings on two of them, and they keep on going. I also
have two PC and one Bosch.

You can't go too wrong on Craftsman routers. Don't get me wrong... I'm not
a Sears fan, I'd not buy any of their items like table saws etc.

There is a particular model of PC in a blown plastic carrying case that has
a fixed base and a plunge base. I'm pretty happy with this also. If I were
you, I'd consider that too.

Don Dando
"Ah10201" wrote in message
I've been reading some of the posts on routers and was a little

confused.
I've just started investing some money on tools and from all accounts,

everyone
hates craftsman routers. However, most people seem to start off with a
craftsman router and then move on to a better model.
Is craftsman router the thing a beginner should start with since its
relatively inexpensive and later move on to a better model once you've

become
comfortable and more experienced with wood? or does everyone consider

owning a
craftsman router a huge mistake and not worth the money whatsoever?

thanks...

Nova

Don Dando wrote:

very snipped

You can't go too wrong on Craftsman routers.

I also have a Craftsman router, among others. The last time I attempted to use
the Craftsman it was in a table operation routing a 1/4" deep 3/8" dado along an
1/2" thick 18" long board. The bit rode up out of the collet. It's a good
thing I noticed the bulge developing in the top of the push block before the bit
reached my knuckles.

YOU CAN GO WRONG with a Craftsman router.

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Luigi Zanasi

On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 21:47:09 -0500, Nova
scribbled:

Don Dando wrote:

very snipped

You can't go too wrong on Craftsman routers.

I also have a Craftsman router, among others. The last time I attempted to use
the Craftsman it was in a table operation routing a 1/4" deep 3/8" dado along an
1/2" thick 18" long board. The bit rode up out of the collet. It's a good
thing I noticed the bulge developing in the top of the push block before the bit
reached my knuckles.

YOU CAN GO WRONG with a Craftsman router.

I second that notion. Last time I tried using the second of the two
Sears routers I used to own, I was routing a 1/8" shallow dado in a
piece of 2X4 to be used as a deck handrail by a neighbour (neighbor,
Keith). The bit rode and the router started bogging down. I pulled the
2X4 up and saw that the bit was way up. I hit the floor and the switch
simultaneously, afraid the bit would fly off.

The last time I tried using my first Sears router, I cutting the
rabbet in a piece of Doug fir intended as a door jamb. The bit rode up
and started bogging. Luckily, it was where the hinge was to go, so I
managed to put in a not too visible patch. I finished cutting that
rabbet on the table saw.

Luckily, some suck^H^H^H^H really nice, intelligent, articulate and
helpful person took them off my hands and paid for the shipping. And I
didn't have to supply the yellow paint.

Luigi
Replace "nonet" with "yukonomics" for real email address
www.yukonomics.ca/wooddorking/antifaq.html
www.yukonomics.ca/wooddorking/humour.html

David Hall

Don Dando wrote:

very snipped

[...]

Didn't someone (I think it was BAD) just write about a similar experience with
a PC router? The problem may be a bit more prevalent with the Craftsman routers
(and maybe not for all I know), but it happens to others brands also.

Dave Hall
Luigi Zanasi

On 02 Mar 2004 02:46:39 GMT, (David Hall) scribbled:

Don Dando wrote:

very snipped

[...]

Yabbut, with other brands, you replace the collet. With Sears, you try
turning it into a boat anchor, because the collet is part of the motor
shaft.

Luigi
Replace "nonet" with "yukonomics" for real email address
www.yukonomics.ca/wooddorking/antifaq.html
www.yukonomics.ca/wooddorking/humour.html
Walt Conner

Yabbut, with other brands, you replace the collet. With Sears, you try
turning it into a boat anchor, because the collet is part of the motor
shaft.

This is not true of old Craftsman Routers.

Walt Conner

TexasFireGuy

"B a r r y" wrote in message
On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 11:45:23 GMT, Unisaw A100
wrote:

"When was the last time you took your (insert name of good
machine/tool) and threw it against the wall and said, Wish
I'd a bought a piece of **** (insert name of good
machine/tool) instead of this thing".

What he said along with the following:

As a newbie, you will make mistakes. Learning from own mistakes is
very important. You don't have the experience to know which mistakes
are yours and which are the results of crappy tools.

Good tools don't guarantee excellent work, but they sure can increase
the odds.

If you shop around, routers by Bosch, Porter Cable, DeWalt, Milwaukee,
and other brands, can be had for a few bucks more than Craftsman.
I've had great results with factory reconditioned tools. You could
even check for the better stuff in your local bargain shopper papers,
eBay, and tag sales. With sites like Amazon at your finger tips, it's
easy to decide what you would be willing to pay.

Stay even farther away from Harbor Freight power tools than Craftsman.

Barry

I'm far from being the excellent WW that some of you guys are, but I'm no
slouch either. And I've had really good luck and great results with the PC
690 that I've been using for a few years. I can't afford to buy
top-of-the-line tools AND materials so I stick with my decent tools and buy
plenty of wood to work with.

Andy

The Craftsman routers and most of their portable power tools are made
by Ryobi which I would not buy either. However the Sears latest tools
catalog does have a router plunge combo that looks like it is the
Bosch 1617EVS, so maybe Sears is changing their OEM for routers and
power tools.

As a beginner, I would go for the Porter Cable 690 or check out the
routers from Hitachi, Bosch, Milwaukee, Makita, Fein, Triton, and
Freud.

Andy